AX Lightness SRT 42 Premium Wheelset - Yay or Nay?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Copperband

by Copperband

I don't race and I'm not a really strong rider. Built up my very first road bike and I have a pair of Extralite E45s now, but I've been looking at this wheelset for some time and I'm looking to see if there's anyone who has been using these wheels recently?

I have been searching through the forum for reviews and it has been generally quite positive.. however, I'm looking to see if this wheelset would be recommended for daily use or as a general training wheelset?

Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:

LionelB

by LionelB

For your first road bike and as its only wheelset you can go for it if price is not an issue for you. This is a bit "luxurious" for that usage though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Yay of course. Haven't tried them, only glued a pair at work but felt really nice. A little small brake surface thou. Tried the AX 24mm a little and they seemed really nice and with the weight on the 42s I would choose them, if I could afford.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Absolutely. I have great trust in AX products.

tommasini

by tommasini

Copperband wrote:I'm not a really strong rider.

Built up my very first road bike

I'm looking to see if this wheelset would be recommended for daily use or as a general training wheelset?

You should look at what you weigh (please do tell), the type conditions and distances you ride and so forth. Ubber light wheels are generally left for special situations....not daily training use. And from what I understand they are only mid pack aero - so depending on your riding ability and situation they very well may not be the answer to more speed - although they may offer more coffee shop prestige.

And do you have the ability to deal with tubular tires too............this is typically reserved for experianced folks who have the patience, appreciation for, and an understanding for dealing with them (as I do).

So being a road newby my first suggestion is to look into a wheelset that is recommended for your type of use, sold, serviced, and warrantied through your local shop.

Copperband

by Copperband

Hi Tomassini,
I weigh in at below 80kg, fluctuating between 76 to 78kg most of the time throughout the day. The kind of riding I do is on smooth tarmac roads, nothing really harsh. I think I would cycle around an average distance of 60 - 100 kilometers each time with my group.

Although I have very limited knowledge about tubs, I am able to glue them on with the advice I have been reading on this forum.
I like the AX Lightness premium wheelset cause of the weight and price as compared to others e.g. LW wheels. I think it looks uber cool as well.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun May 06, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote.

Copperband

by Copperband

gumgardner wrote:Absolutely. I have great trust in AX products.

Thanks for the humble advice, Gum. i appreciate it.

AX Lightness products are hard to find where I come from , so from the info that I gathered over the net about their services during times of need, it sounded rather daunting to me.
The worst thing that can happen is to pay a premium on an item only to have them bail out when you need them most for warranty issues.

Copperband

by Copperband

cerro wrote:Yay of course. Haven't tried them, only glued a pair at work but felt really nice. A little small brake surface thou. Tried the AX 24mm a little and they seemed really nice and with the weight on the 42s I would choose them, if I could afford.

Hi Cerro,

Thats great to hear! Do you have any pictures of it?

:thumbup:

Copperband

by Copperband

LionelB wrote:For your first road bike and as its only wheelset you can go for it if price is not an issue for you. This is a bit "luxurious" for that usage though.

Hi LionelB,

I already have a pair of Extralite Ultraclimb E45 wheels and am looking to have another set. :D

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Copperband wrote:

AX Lightness products are hard to find where I come from , so from the info that I gathered over the net about their services during times of need, it sounded rather daunting to me.
The worst thing that can happen is to pay a premium on an item only to have them bail out when you need them most for warranty issues.

Well I only had one issue with an AX product and they replaced it for me. I've too heard bad stories about customer service though. Maybe I just got lucky?

cerro

by cerro

Copperband wrote:
cerro wrote:Yay of course. Haven't tried them, only glued a pair at work but felt really nice. A little small brake surface thou. Tried the AX 24mm a little and they seemed really nice and with the weight on the 42s I would choose them, if I could afford.

Hi Cerro,

Thats great to hear! Do you have any pictures of it?

:thumbup:

No. Working at a bikestore so were customers wheels.

konky

by konky

gumgardner wrote:
Copperband wrote:

Well I only had one issue with an AX product and they replaced it for me. I've too heard bad stories about customer service though. Maybe I just got lucky?

I think if there is a genuine problem AX will deal with it. They are just not very good at dealing with complaints that they perceive as unwarranted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

...and I'm sure they get a lot of those.