2012 Mavic Huez Shoes

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Post Reply
durkonion
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:17 am

by durkonion

Has anyone tried the 2011 and 2012 Huez shoes? I was able to try on the older 2011 model shown here:
Image
While the fit around the toes was great, I couldn't get the top strap tight enough. I guess my feet just don't have enough "volume." I was wondering if the 2012 model is any different in this regard as I noticed that the straps are new:
Image

Unfortunately my local Mavic dealer doesn't carry the Huez so I can't try it on in person. The Zxellium that I tried on fit amazingly well, but the weight weenie in me wants to go for the Huez.

gumgardner
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:47 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

by gumgardner

I just picked up the 2011 version of the Huez from competitive cyclist. On sale from $400 to $135. I think they fit very similar to my ergo2. They are incredibly light. I haven't weighed them yet though.
For reference I use a 42.5 in the Audi and a 9.5 in the Huez.

by Weenie


plpete
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 pm
Location: DC

by plpete

I purchased a set of the Mavic Zxellium shoes from CC a while ago and they have been great. I would consider them as they seem to have a bit more padding in the upper integrated tongue section which would maybe help your fit. They are still extremely light and comfortable and breath just as well.

2011
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:15 pm

by 2011

With the Huez... you are sacrificing comfort and conforming fit, to save weight, since they have removed most of the padding.

I'd suggest sizing down at least 1 size with Mavic, as they run big.

durkonion
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:17 am

by durkonion

gumgardner wrote:I just picked up the 2011 version of the Huez from competitive cyclist. On sale from $400 to $135. I think they fit very similar to my ergo2. They are incredibly light. I haven't weighed them yet though.
For reference I use a 42.5 in the Audi and a 9.5 in the Huez.

That's actually where I got them. Unfortunately I had to return them :[ They were super light and seemed like the perfect shoe if I could only get them tighter.
plpete wrote:I purchased a set of the Mavic Zxellium shoes from CC a while ago and they have been great. I would consider them as they seem to have a bit more padding in the upper integrated tongue section which would maybe help your fit. They are still extremely light and comfortable and breath just as well.

Yeah, I might have to go with the Zxellium. I wouldn't call them extremely light though. They claim to be around 75g heaver per shoe which is HUGE.
2011 wrote:With the Huez... you are sacrificing comfort and conforming fit, to save weight, since they have removed most of the padding.

I'd suggest sizing down at least 1 size with Mavic, as they run big.

Yep, I sized down one size from my Sidis and it fit great. It just seems like they didn't account for the lack of padding and allow the user to tighten the upper strap more, which is why I'm wondering if Mavic figured this out for their 2012 shoes. I just need that velcro patch moved down a little bit farther.

wingguy
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

durkonion wrote:While the fit around the toes was great, I couldn't get the top strap tight enough. I guess my feet just don't have enough "volume." I was wondering if the 2012 model is any different in this regard as I noticed that the straps are new:


There is definitely a difference. The 2012 Huex strap closes as securely as a ratchet system. The trade off though, is that the strap is very rigid and combined with the very thin tongue could make an uncomfortable pressure point on the top edge if your foot doesn't fit absolutely perfectly. Personally I think the integrated tongue on the Zxellium line is the best thing about any set of Mavic shoes, and I'm not interested in trading that comfort for a few 10s of grams. YMMV. :noidea:

gumgardner
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:47 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

by gumgardner

I'm not feeling the lack of comfort that everyone is saying. I wear a little thicker sock but that's about it.

User avatar
Tinea Pedis
Posts: 8425
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:08 am
Location: Geelong
Contact:

by Tinea Pedis

gumgardner wrote:the Audi

My iPhone does the same auto-correct :lol:

Just beware with the Huez, with the reduced weight comes some reduced durability. Had more than one customer tell me that they had cracked the region around the heel counter. Some covered by warranty, some not.

I had a choice and went for the Zxellium. That said, the 45 Zxellium was still bigger than my 45 Sidi.

plpete
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 pm
Location: DC

by plpete

durkonion wrote:Yeah, I might have to go with the Zxellium. I wouldn't call them extremely light though. They claim to be around 75g heaver per shoe which is HUGE.


I highly doubt those extra grams will be holding you back or even be on your mind once you have some comfortable shoes on :thumbup: They do share the same stiff soles which I feel is the most important part.

sorin
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:20 am
Location: ny,ny USA

by sorin

You can also go to a good cobbler and have him move the strap a few mm to left\right...worked for me !

bones
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:38 am

by bones

wingguy wrote:
durkonion wrote:While the fit around the toes was great, I couldn't get the top strap tight enough. I guess my feet just don't have enough "volume." I was wondering if the 2012 model is any different in this regard as I noticed that the straps are new:


There is definitely a difference. The 2012 Huex strap closes as securely as a ratchet system. The trade off though, is that the strap is very rigid and combined with the very thin tongue could make an uncomfortable pressure point on the top edge if your foot doesn't fit absolutely perfectly. Personally I think the integrated tongue on the Zxellium line is the best thing about any set of Mavic shoes, and I'm not interested in trading that comfort for a few 10s of grams. YMMV. :noidea:



Those integrated sock like fit of the integrated tongues are the worst thing ever. You can't actually get a good fit with them and when you try to tighten the shoe down, inevitably there is a little part somewhere that gets all scrunched up. Well, thats why I don't like them, but to each their own. :up:

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post