I need a new bike.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

So far;

* Definitely Campy Electric SR11

* Pretty sure Zipp FC 303 Tubulars

* Not sure on the frame yet. I have a Felt F1 that's gone through 5 1/2 seasons. I think it was their first carbon offering.

I have Campy SR 11 and Reynolds MV32 Tubulars, which are 4 1/2 seasons old. Time for some inspiration. Any suggestions on frames would be greatly appreciated.

Mostly fast technical hilly training rides with some races, same terrain. Forgot to mention, I'm 6'3" @180/185 LBS.
Last edited by Bridgeman on Fri May 04, 2012 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

pRoto

by pRoto

Scott Foil?
Pinarello Dogma?
Cervelo S5?

Actually if mostly hilly areas, when maybe some lighter frames like:

Stork Fascenario 0.6, but they are expensive..
Last edited by pRoto on Fri May 04, 2012 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Custom/specialty builder or one of the big name players? Specialty builder I would go with Crumpton. Big name, I would say Cannondale Evo based on weight/entry price ratio. This question completely depends on your needs. I know you say SR11 electric and hilly rides but not much else to go on. Do you want it super stiff? Do you want a cush ride like a Cadillac? Do you want carbon fiber frame? Do you care about fancy paint schemes?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

pRoto

by pRoto

Your weight?

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Thanks! I would tend towards a very stiff frame, but can be in the saddle up to 5 1/2 hours, so I'd need to probably pay attention to some degree of comfort.

I also prefer low key flat black. My present kit/team colors are black with bits of white and red. Would be cool to match of course.

Current bike weighs slightly under 14.5 LBS, with pedals. Frame is a 60cm, but I am looking at maybe going with a 58 if I can achieve a good fit.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

There were some absolutely mental prices on TIME at PBK, great value for a nice bit of kit
The VIP is the style that would seem to fit

Wolfshohl

by Wolfshohl

Time NXR.

Some great deals right now on 2012s in the US.
Brilliant in the hills.
Sturdy enough for a 185 lbs person.

kelboodha

by kelboodha

Take a good look at the BMC Team Machine SLR01 in the flat black and white paint with accents of red. Very light, laterally stiff and vertically compliant with a unique geometry. Short chain stays with slightly longer front. A 57 may fit you perfectly especially if your long in the leg and shorter torso.

Lou3000

by Lou3000

Well if the F1 geometry works for you, why not just upgrade? A 2008 F1 is a world apart from a 2012 F1 in terms of comfort, stiffness, and weight. Felt also has the custom paint program, it doesn't offer a lot of choice, but you could definitely do black on black.

I'm not saying I wouldn't pass up a custom Crumpton though...

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

There are some really great frame suggestions here. It's really appreciated! Been looking into them and like what I see.

One of my friends has just started using Zipp 404 FC Tubulars. I know when he's near me as I can hear him beside or even directly behind me. Wondering if the 303's are a bit quieter? It's not a bad sound, just a slight whir, but distinguishable.

pastronef

by pastronef

Campag Bora instead of the Zipps and a nice Ridley frame (the allround helium or the aero Noah Fast, very nice frame)

CerveloMikey

by CerveloMikey

How about a Tarmac SL4? Flat Black, light, stiff but compliant and ready for internal wiring.
R2.5 / R3 / S-Works 29er (20 lbs) / S-Works SL4 Di2 (14.7 lbs)

veloman

by veloman

Don't know if they have your color scheme but Look 695 is awesome. I absolutely love my Cyfac Gothica so if I were in your shoes, I would definitely think about a Cyfac Absolu

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

Lou3000 wrote:A 2008 F1 is a world apart from a 2012 F1 in terms of comfort, stiffness, and weight. Felt also has the custom paint program, it doesn't offer a lot of choice, but you could definitely do black on black.

+1 Felt F1 all the way
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com