damaged Keo look blade pedal - Advice strongly needed!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ecous

by ecous

Hi all,

I noticed in a previous forum on this website (regarding the fragility of look's keo blade pedal) a person posting a picture which resembled exactly the problem that I had. It was not mentioned, however the extent to which this specific kind of 'crack' could hinder performance, let alone durability. If someone has specific knowledge or experience about this, I would LOVE to know whether I should keep them or buy a new set of pedals, and why :noidea:

Thanks!!
Attachments
vVBbx.jpg
vVBbx.jpg (9.91 KiB) Viewed 1600 times

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Uh, are you kidding? That crack is serious. They are broken. If you bought them new I'd be contacting LOOK immediately. If you bought them used, then I'd be trashing them. I don't have specific experience riding pedals like that (seems to be what you are looking for), because I simply wouldn't ride pedals that are so clearly broken like that.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

buikpijn

by buikpijn

Correct me if i'm wrong; but are these aftermarket titanium spindles?

CerveloMikey

by CerveloMikey

Those are junk now! I wouldn't ride them around the block or even clip in to them!
R2.5 / R3 / S-Works 29er (20 lbs) / S-Works SL4 Di2 (14.7 lbs)

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Contact Look and ask for a new set. Those should be a least warrantied.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

todayilearned

by todayilearned

If someone has specific knowledge or experience about this, I would LOVE to know whether I should keep them or buy a new set of pedals, and why

I don't own those specific pedals but there is no way you should keep those. They are a safety hazard!

As others have mentioned contact Look.
- 2012 Specialized Tarmac w/ Force
- 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5 w/ Ultegra

madmole

by madmole

Looks like the nylon collar has been over tightened at some time
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

by 2011

I'm nearly certain that both the ti and cromo spindles on these pedals are black. So, I'm assuming, your being silver, you possibly changed to a different spindle in an attempt to save more weight?

If so... that explains the damage, which was caused by an aftermarket spindle, or improper installation.

I've seen this happen before. But it's always a difference case. Your body weight, riding conditions, etc are all variables. Does not mean it's a defective pedal.

incognitus

by incognitus

This does not look like the original spindle (should be black indeed), and the nylon collar looks wrong as well (or it is severely stripped). If it is indeed an aftermarket spindle, I guess you are out of luck in regards to warranty.

Comparison:

+1 that you should not use this pedal anymore.
k.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Just checked my 2-year-old ti Blades. Exposed part of the spindle is black like incognitus'.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

bones

by bones

Those are definitely not Look factory installed spindles. Umm, good luck trying to get Look to warranty pedals where you changed out the spindle.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Well based on the evidence provided here by others forget about calling Look.
Start looking for a new set of pedals.
The other option I was thinking of would be deviant. :twisted:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

tommasini

by tommasini

While you are at it - replace those Easton cranks too - they have some form of liberal warranty program going on there too (which suggests how bad the breakage problem was.....).

ecous

by ecous

Thank you all for the great advice. I'll make myself more clear in this post, but the previous picture was not my pedal, this picture is (and I ride 2009 kuota khan). I bought these pedals second hand a couple of weeks ago. Basically, I recently went to my friends who had tools to remove these kinds of threaded collars, and it was simply in the car on my way back that I was horrified to see this. The odd thing is that the threaded collar of my other blade pedal is pentagonal... so perhaps something fishy was done to this pedal by the previous user... in any case, I have been riding with them for now and nothing seems to have worsen or been affected. Not sure if its because of stubbornness or simple denial for 200$ down the drain.

buikpijn wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong; but are these aftermarket titanium spindles?

2011 wrote:I'm nearly certain that both the ti and cromo spindles on these pedals are black. So, I'm assuming, your being silver, you possibly changed to a different spindle in an attempt to save more weight?

If so... that explains the damage, which was caused by an aftermarket spindle, or improper installation.

I've seen this happen before. But it's always a difference case. Your body weight, riding conditions, etc are all variables. Does not mean it's a defective pedal.

I am really not sure, but I figure they are aftermarket if threaded collars were different. I cant even completely rule out the possibility that I purchased them with a minor crack. :oops: The guy was selling a 10000$ dogma and I asked if he could sell these separately.
All of this concern is much appreciated.
Attachments
broken....jpg

bones

by bones

Ok. Here's what I would do. Just send them back to the distributor with a letter. I do know this. The company in the US that used to handle Look products... I believe it used to be Veltec. Anyway, those guys are hard asses when it comes to returning things for warranty issues. I would send them without calling them.

You call them, and they are just gonna deny you straight up. You send the pedals back with a letter. Worse case scenario you don't see the pedals again, but so what? They're useless anyways. Most likely scenario is that they send the pedals back and state why they can't warranty them. However, at least there is a chance that they warranty them and you get new pedals. What so you have to lose? A busted up pair of pedals?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com