Lightweight Fernwegs - actual weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

Had a set of Fernwegs drop shipped today. They are gorgeous 1340 grams for the set 610 front 730 rear.

Geoff

by Geoff

Mmmmmm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sedluk

by sedluk

Mine weighed 1,310 grams with stickers.
1,300 grams without

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

Sedluk,

Interesting tire choices. Care to expound on the combo?

TheRedMantra

by TheRedMantra

Is that a speedvagen?

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

Beautiful build on the S5. What brakes are those?

sedluk

by sedluk

Ax Lightness Ax3000 brakes.

I get a lot of crap about the Tubular Gatorskins

I have ridden a bunch of different tires and I understand when people claim to prefer the ride on a Veloflex or Vittoria or ect… I can appreciate that people think they ride a little more plush and supple, I agree. But I do not find the ride more comfortable as in they reduce fatigue or neck pain, at least not for me.

I happen to like the ride of the Gatorskin but it may just be that I find them a little more predictable on rough roads. More importantly I like the performance. I find them to be more sure footed.

I find them to be more flat resistant and they hold air. I have found that some of the latex tires can lose a significant amount of air in 6-8 hours. Now if you are going out for a 120 mile ride and stopping for drinks on a hot day, you can find that some latex tires can lose 20 psi.

I guess that I just do not put a high value on a plush and supple ride, almost no value at all. I want something predictable and something that I do not need to think about. I am usually out to ride hard and suffer.

Now some people have suggested that other tires are faster, now that is something I would be interested it. I have not found any scientific data that would show other tires to be measurably faster and I have not been able to tell the difference. If that were the case then you could make a tradeoff between flat resistance and faster. You get a flat and you are no longer in the lead group but you have a better chance of being in the lead group as long as you do not get a flat.

Was out on a group ride yesterday, probably had 70 riders show up. Here is a local blog:

http://www.granvillebike.com/marks-cycling-blog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had several guys getting flats, one was on a clincher and the tire came off his front wheel and he almost lost it. Another guy gets a flat on a latex tubular while climbing the best hill of the evening, he would normally be in the break but not last night. Last week had a guy drive an hour to the ride start and he gets a flat in the first 10 miles, that was a waste.

I am not out to sell them, it would be fine with me if I was the only one riding them.

J-Nice

by J-Nice

Maggiefern, not to knock what are undoubtedly a set of outstanding wheels, but they look a little on the "industrial" side, almost like a prototype.

The rims certainly do not look like they are a one-piece construction. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Or is it the lighting?
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

sedluk

by sedluk

My guess is that what they did was create a wheel that looks like a low profile version of their Gen III wheel where the spokes get bonded to the sides of the rim. Then they created a light carbon shell that is probably filled with super light filler. This of course is just a guess.

But if you look at the way the spoke enters the rim, it does not look like they hit at an angle that would allow for the rim/spoke bonding that they use on their other wheels.

The wheels come with a warning to not hang your bike from the wheels or strap them down with force on a rack. This would go along with my theory. That what you have is a wheel that is constructed much like a normal lightweight with a somewhat cosmetic aero shell. If that is the case I think it is a smart way to get a stiff wheel like we are accustom to that cuts through the air with less spoke hitting the wind.

I ended up taking my stickers off for an even more industrial look.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tharmor

by tharmor

Update the pictures of your cervelo sans stickers please