new trainer kurt kinetic?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrg13

by mrg13

Hello,

I have a tacx satori which is broken and I need to buy a new trainer.

I have heard a lot of good reviews about kurt kinetic road machine and I wonder how it works if you train climbing at high gears? Satori has resistance selection and the highest is very tough to rotate the pedals. Can you simulate a climb at 60-70rpm with kurt kinetic ?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

You can't get a really steep climbing sensation on the Kurt.

Climbing feel requires a very high resistance with a fast spin-down in order to require high torque on each rev. The only way to get really high power on the kurt it to go fast, and then you have quite high flywheel inertia.

I do think it's a great trainer though. Well built, easy to use, smooth operation. And you can get pretty high wattage when required. http://www.kurtkinetic.com/powercurve.php
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

mrg13

by mrg13

Thanks for the info.

If you want to simulate climbing is it still possible even at higher rpm? Using highest gear is it hard to pedal over 70-75 rpm ? It will suck if I have to do 90 rpm at highest gears.
Last edited by mrg13 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

put the bike in 53x11 on the Kurt and pedal for 30 minutes, it's not that easy, I think you'll be able to climb pretty good after this

beardking

by beardking

tried it at the end of my interval session today. my speed sensor isn't working so couldn't calibrate the KK with a spin down at the start.
power readings from my quarq

time - 00:31 average power 401watts Xpower 211watts max power 423watts average cadence 72rpm

didn't seem overly tough but, I didn't hold it for very long.
whys the Xpower so much lower than the average power?

Andrew69

by Andrew69

If Xpower is anything like Normalised power, it is calculated on a 30 second rolling average, so if your interval was only 31 seconds, it is hardly a valid metric

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Do climbs outside on a real hill. That's how to improve on climbing. The trainer is for when you really can't go outside.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

mrg13

by mrg13

stella-azzurra wrote:Do climbs outside on a real hill. That's how to improve on climbing. The trainer is for when you really can't go outside.

I need it to help improve climbing when I can't go outside not to replace outdoor training :roll:

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

That flywheel will never feel like a real climb because of the spin-down on the flywheel. The sensations are so different that I cannot register it as "climbing" for me and it's difficult for my body to recognize as well.

Squint

by Squint

It is possible to simulate climbing indoors but not with anything commercially available (to my knowledge). I've been using such a device exclusively, only riding outside for races, and am having my best season ever. I'm climbing better than I ever did when I lived in Colorado yet I'm not doing any real climbing (outside of races and I pick races with lots of climbing).

indigo

by indigo

Squint wrote:It is possible to simulate climbing indoors but not with anything commercially available (to my knowledge). I've been using such a device exclusively, only riding outside for races, and am having my best season ever. I'm climbing better than I ever did when I lived in Colorado yet I'm not doing any real climbing (outside of races and I pick races with lots of climbing).

oh come on don't tease

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

off topic, but theres a whole movement in triathlete training circles where you only train on the bike indoors. pure training focus, no environmental variance like traffic and downhill sections.
not that im for it, kinda misses the whole point of being on a bike IMO, just pointing it out.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

thisisatest wrote:off topic, but theres a whole movement in triathlete training circles where you only train on the bike indoors. pure training focus, no environmental variance like traffic and downhill sections.
not that im for it, kinda misses the whole point of being on a bike IMO, just pointing it out.

Yes, but too many triathletes are idiots.
I should know, I am a triathlete :mrgreen:

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Andrew69 wrote:
thisisatest wrote:off topic, but theres a whole movement in triathlete training circles where you only train on the bike indoors. pure training focus, no environmental variance like traffic and downhill sections.

Yes, but too many triathletes are idiots.
I should know, I am a triathlete :mrgreen:

Totally - us triathletes are the mongoloid brothers you hide in your attic when guests come over.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

So true its scary :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com