Time iclic2 pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

astranoc

by astranoc

Imaging that happening while on a tight bunch in a tight corner in a race.. boom shaka laka, they can be dangerous under certain situations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gede

by gede

astranoc wrote:Imaging that happening while on a tight bunch in a tight corner in a race.. boom shaka laka, they can be dangerous under certain situations.

This was exactly what I was thinking when reading the post of b0bafett. I felt the same way before: OK, there are quite alright and a false click-in or unclicks happen rarely, but I will life with that because the design is beautiful and new pedals are expensive.

After breaking 7 bones, I know that this thinking was completely wrong and I concluded now that I will never make a compromise again on vital safety parts of my bike (pedals, chain, steer) because of the looks/price/weight. If my next pedals also give me a bad feeling with a few misclicks, they will disappear as fast as they came untill I find the best pedal. One crucial item for me is that the pedal has a metal spring in it and no modern carbon or plastic blade. If it needs to be strong and reliable, carbon will never be like steel. The Iclic concept is a wrong invention in my opinion. Does anyone know if there's a pro team riding on them? I really doubt it. I'm sad that I laught with a semi-pro two months ago who ordered a C59 and wanted it with old RXS pedals in stead of the new Iclics. Now I have to agree a 100 % with him and I hope that other people do not need the experience I had before looking for other pedals. Even after 2 weeks, Time refuses to react on my friendly email... Is that customer support??

Rush

by Rush

Ok so I'm going to buy a new bike soon. I don't want to have to buy another pair of shoes/cleats so I want to keep the same system as on my current bike.

However, the pedals/cleats on my current bike are over 10 years old and are obsolete (Time Equipe system). So I'm going to need two new sets of pedals.

Having read this thread it seems that feelings are mixed between the new iClic 2 system and the older RXS system.
I'm considering buying the bottom-of-the-range model for my current bike (which will become a dedicated commuter) and a flashier version for my new bike.

I'm going to stick with Time as I switched from Look after about 5 years or so and I like the feel of the time pedal float.

Here are the contenders:

Time RXS First : About $65, 260 grams.
Time RXS Carbon : About $150, 240 grams.
Time RXS Titanium : About $300, 190 grams
Time iClic 2 : About $100, 264 grams
Time iClic 2 Carbon : About $170, 235 grams
Time iClic 2 Titanium : About $300, 187 grams

Any experienced Time users want to chip in with an opinion?

Omiar

by Omiar

Afaik the RXS's are prone to breaking, the front tends to break off.
I bought the Time iClic 2 Titaniums. A bit overpriced, bit I wouldn't change them for anything else.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Afaik the RXS's are prone to breaking, the front tends to break off.

?? :roll:
Let's keep some perspective here. This may have happened to someone once but god knows how that happened.
I feel the RXS are a fine system and a well proven one too.

I too came from Time Equipe but nowadays they're just those fine old pedals from yesteryore, nothing more nothing less. Besides that, short of drilling custom holes in the soles of a new pair of shoes I don't see how you'd fit that TBT system to them.

Anyhow, a set of RXS Carbon doesn't break the bank and they're not that heavy either. They'll sure last more than long enough for Time to iron out any remaining doubts over their new system.
So, that's what I'd go for anyways...

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Rush

by Rush

Omiar wrote:Afaik the RXS's are prone to breaking, the front tends to break off.

Someone on another forum mentioned the RXS 'First' model broke, but they had no issue with the carbon model.

hidayanra

by hidayanra

I have between 4 & 6 sets of RXS pedals, I race them in crits/circuit races/track/TTs... I've never had any problems with them at all.
They are cheap, especially on the used front, and given how long they are good for, I've had no problems buying used sets & getting another 3-4 years use out of them.

Iclic2s seem nice, but I have too much invested in the RXS system to make the switch right now.

As far as "pro equipment", professionals ride & race what they are given. There are professional teams that ride TIME bikes, TIME iclic2 pedals, et al.
Just as Parlee's lack of sponsorship for UCI professional team doesn't mean that their bicycles aren't any good - TIME doesn't sponsor all that many teams, so fewer teams ride their pedals.

gede

by gede

Are there really professional teams on the Iclic? Really, if my sponsor would give me Iclics, I would throw them at his head. In my opinion, the Iclics are the most disappointing bike equipment I bought in the last 5 years. I can't imagine a pro would take the risk of an unwanted unclick and I had them multiple times would both paires I owned. I sended an email to Time with pictures were you can see how much the surface of the pedals has weared out after only 5.000 kms. After 4 weeks, I got the answer that I can go to my dealer to let them replace if I want to. As if I will risk my life again on another pair of them... In the sometimes irresponsible race to lighter, lighter, lighter (risky to say on the weightweenies forum :-) ), I believe that they made too much compromises on both reliability and safety. 10 years of experience resulted in a product that is worse than the original (Equipe). I think that it is crucial to have a pedal with a solid, steel spring, just as the RXS.

hidayanra

by hidayanra

sorry to disappoint you - but there are LOTS of pro teams on pedals with a carbon leaf spring.
All of Look's pro-level pedals, as well as TIME's pedals are carbon blade based.

Yes, there are pro teams on Time's iclic pedals - I won't do your homework for you, google will tell you which teams they are without any trouble.
This thread is about, and entitle "Time iclic2 pedals" - do your pedals have metal wear plates on the body of the pedal? Are they in fact iclic2 pedals?
I wouldn't be at all shocked to find out that you have the original generation of iclic pedals... yes, they wore quickly. All the similar carbon bodied pedals did - Shimano, Look, Time, et al.
That is why all those pedals now have metal or similarly durable materials in their construction at wear points.

gede

by gede

I'm not disappointed at all that there are pro teams on carbon blade based pedals, because I already knew that. I just can't imagine that they are on Iclics, because they will have other Iclics than I have then. I can't imagine that a pro would be satisfied with cleats that are so weared after 1.500 - 2.000 km that from then on, you'll have the risk of unclicks. You seem to be a heavy Iclic fan, but the reaction I got from someone really involved in the sub-pro level in Belgium is that everyone he knows that was on Iclics, throw them away and installed there RXS again. I talked about this with a seller of one of the biggest bike shops in Holland and he answered very short: "I'm done with Time"

You are right that I have the previous Iclics, but that does not affect the cleat wearing in my opinion and the fact that the plastic cleat in combination with a less stronger spring (carbon in stead of steel) is a wrong combination. Why did they change a perfect and secure lock system just to win maybe a few 10's of grams? I didn't like these pedals from the beginning and I hate them since the day a broke 9 bones in a sprint because of an unclick and I believe that I have to tell this to people considering these pedals. Maybe the Iclic2's are better, but I have still lots of doubts concerning the wearing behaviour of the vital parts. If you can prove me wrong and show that you can easily do > 10k km on these pedals with the same cleats and still a secure locking, you are welcome and I will stop my battle against Time...
Last edited by gede on Fri May 04, 2012 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

if you like rxs, buy rxs. still in their 2012 catalog. not with ti axle, but everything else. iclic2 for others.

hidayanra

by hidayanra

gede wrote:I think that it is crucial to have a pedal with a solid, steel spring, just as the RXS.

If this is just an opinion on iclics, no big deal. I was responding to your statement as quoted above.
I don't have iclics, I may never end up with them. The cleat was redesigned to be firmer & wear less. You may notice that the new cleats are black instead of red - and are beefed up in a number of ways.

I am not sponsored by Time, the bike shop I work at does not sell Time... I've got no connection to them at this point.
My reason for posting in this thread is that you are noting legitimate complaints about the "iclic" system - but in a thread titled "iclic2"
Absolutely, the iclic (1st gen) system had problems - no argument on that from me. There is a thread on this forum where quite a few folks talked about their experiences - and many of them weren't good.
The point of the iclic2 series is that the cleat is beefed up (I haven't heard of any pontoons breaking off the new ones), the pedal is much more durable (again, no complaints voiced about experiences of pedal body wear), and the system seems much more "put together" than the first generation.

I'll be quiet now & let the conversation go on - my points were that you were 'crying wolf' over issues which aren't the case on this gear.
I hope your pedal situation gets sorted out, and do be safe... having been involved in sprints where riders unclipped, I know how bad that can be. Hope it works out well for you in the end :beerchug:

gede

by gede

You are totally correct that my Iclic complaints were not well placed in the Iclic2-topic. When people started asking about Iclic2 experiences, I had the feeling that I needed to warn them, but I did not stress enough that I only have Iclic1 experience. I'm still very frustrated that Time brought a 'test version' to the market (that's how I see it) and say it's there top model. It costed me a pair of cleats every month and at last the end of my season after a winter of very hard work. After all of this, Time is even not brave enough to admit the shortcommings and offer me the better version of the Iclics (even if I'm not convinced that all the problems are solved), so that's why I'm completely frustrated. The cheapest spd pedals of 25 euro's hold your feet better than the Iclics1's of 200 euro. It should be possible to accuse Time for this, but I think this is an impossible battle. If I have time in the follow week, I will post some pictures of a 1.000 km old cleat so you can see the enormous clearance with the pedal. I will do that on the older Iclic topic :-).

I will follow this topic with interest and look forward to numerous experiences with the Iclic2's and at least > 10 k km, but my C59 and old Dream bike will only have pedals in the future with a proven safety and durability and no experiments anymore. As already said, I'm still not convinced that the carbon blade and plastic cleat will ever be as strong as the steel spring.

Omiar

by Omiar

Those pictures of a 1.000 km old cleat would be interesting. I will be at 1000km's in a week or two, would be a nice reference point.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

wobbly

by wobbly

Rush wrote:Ok so I'm going to buy a new bike soon. I don't want to have to buy another pair of shoes/cleats so I want to keep the same system as on my current bike.

However, the pedals/cleats on my current bike are over 10 years old and are obsolete (Time Equipe system). So I'm going to need two new sets of pedals.

Having read this thread it seems that feelings are mixed between the new iClic 2 system and the older RXS system.
I'm considering buying the bottom-of-the-range model for my current bike (which will become a dedicated commuter) and a flashier version for my new bike.

I'm going to stick with Time as I switched from Look after about 5 years or so and I like the feel of the time pedal float.

Here are the contenders:

Time RXS First : About $65, 260 grams.
Time RXS Carbon : About $150, 240 grams.
Time RXS Titanium : About $300, 190 grams
Time iClic 2 : About $100, 264 grams
Time iClic 2 Carbon : About $170, 235 grams
Time iClic 2 Titanium : About $300, 187 grams

Any experienced Time users want to chip in with an opinion?

Had a similar problem to you when I got a new bike 3 years ago - kept swapping my pre-RXS pedals between bikes until last yr when switched to Shimano DA. They are excellent ! Got a pair of cheaper Shimanos for winter bike. Float feels same but clickin is more precise. Sweet bearings too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com