My custom Cannondale Bad boy project.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Erhar

by Erhar

1. Rear derailleur: Shimano dura ace
2. Chain:kmc x10sl
3. Cassette: token alloy 23-11 (102grams)
4. Shifters: Shimano sl-r770.
5. Fork: Ritchey wcs carbon disk(475 grams)
6. Flatbar schmolke carbon tlo (73 grams).
7. Stem: Extralite roadstem oc 110mm.
8. Seatpost: Schmolke carbon tlo seatpost (96 grams).
9. Saddle:Specialized s works toupe carbon saddle(113 grams).
10.Wheels: Corima winium carbon tubular, dt swiss 240s disk hubs,sapim cx ray spokes.
11.Brakes: Formula r1 carbon.
12.Quick release: Carbon ti (36 grams).
13.Pedals: Crankbrothers eggbeater 11.
14.Grips: Extralite (18 grams).
15.Seatpost clamp: Carbon ti, 8 grams.
16. All brake caliper and rotor screws were replaced with titanium ones in gold color, while all the others which do not suffer much stress were replaced with alluminum ones in gold color also.
17.Veloflex extreme tubular tires.
18.Bottle cage: Btp carbon-aramid 4.5 grams.
19.Front derailleur: Shimano xtr 970 (soon to be replaced by a dura ace front derailleur).
20.Crankset: Clavicula dp with specialite.ta 44/32 (all together with bottom bracket weigh 500 grams)

At this moment bicycle's weight is 6.970 kg.
At the link below you can see some photos so i guess no more words are needed.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 576&type=3

Erhar

by Erhar

Next step will be to change the shifting cables with something really light (any suggestions are welcome) and perhaps replace my wheel hubs (dt swiss 2540s disk) with tune prince/princess gold or black. For the hub replacement i'm not sure yet as dt swiss are prooven bulletproof. On the other hand changing them will help me lighten the bike another 150 grams approximatelly. i'd like to hear your opinions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

Depending on your weight you could go Tune Prince/Princess or Extralite hubs and match them to the lightest road tubulars you can find. You should get close to a 900gram wheelset or even a little less depending on your weight. Maybe 16 spoke front wheel?
Lefty heaven

Erhar

by Erhar

Thank you very much for your answer.
I wouldn't try extralite hubs because i've not heard the best comments about them from people using them. You should bear in mind that i'm using disk brakes so maybe (??) it would be too risky to use so little spokes(i'm using 32 spoke wheels now).I'm 1.85m and i weigh 83 kg so i guess you agree i'm not a light rider :lol: :lol:.As for the tires i'm willing to try lighter tires (veloflex extreme are 450 grams per pair) but my main priority is reliability.
Tune prince/princess are quite tempting though.

giantdale

by giantdale

I love Bad Boys and own one myself. But I'm afraid this poor fella's lost its anima. Just my very humble opinion, though.

Erhar

by Erhar

Good morning my friend. What do you mean when you say that it lost its "anima"? You mean its character? To be honest i tried to maintain its "bad looks" during the changes i made.

giantdale

by giantdale

Hi, there, since you care for Bad Boys you are definately my friend as well :beerchug:
And yes, it's the character I meant. It is no part of your Boy in particular, just when viewed as a whole this no longer looks like a Bad Boy to me. I think it's weeniesm gone too far. The fork, the beautiful delicate stem, the silver chainrings, golden nuts ... don't belong...for me.
It is obvious a lot of thought and care went into your build. Are you happy with it? That's the most important about it. When you look at it, you should think: AWESOME! You should be driven to park it somewhere and just observe its good looks from different angles. If it does that for you, then you did right.
I just couldn't resist commenting 'cause I feel so strongly about Bad Boys and there aren't many to see. I feel that when Bad Boy looks and light weight clash, the former should prevail... That said, my current road bike is 5.8 kg, so...
I wish I could explain myself better, English language is not my strong suit.

Erhar

by Erhar

Okey i see what you mean. Bad boy was love at first sight for me and just because of that i could't help myself customizing it.I wanted to build something unique and beautiful at the same time. When you see it "live" it's a hundred times better, i repeat i tried very hard not to spoil it's "bad character". On the other hand all opinions are accepted.
Again thank you very much for your answer! :)

quattrings

by quattrings

I agree with GiantDale as well.
A stock bad boy is a nice piece of design, but it will always be a cafe racer bike. It doesn't need the weenie parts to be cool.
Big points for originality though!

Just a question, if you're weenie enough to go with schmolke parts, why do you leave on those awfull gear index displays?

Erhar

by Erhar

I don't think that these changes have driven the bike to the "non cool" side.
As for the gear displays you suggest to take them off?

BmanX

by BmanX

What about I-Link shifter cable housing and a Berk saddle/post combo. That is all that I can think of right now and I agree that you should ditch the shifter viewing pods.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I like it. A loony investment for a Bad Boy (IMHO), but isn't that what WW is all about?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Erhar

by Erhar

Maybe it seems strange, but the bicycle which as a stock bad boy was already very fast for a city bike, is now competitive with many road bikes regarding speed and acceleration. Of course it is also very unique, something that you gain only by customizing a product.
As for the gear displays if i take them off how will the shifters stand on the flatbar?And how much weight am i going to lose?Is ti worth it?
For the shifting cables i thought of power cortz, what do you think?

Tallboy

by Tallboy

This is mega, I love it. Do y commute on this or just like riding flat bars?
I'm doing similar to an orange gringo frame set but I drew the line at carbon tub rims!

I bet she flies through traffic and that surely makes her a badboy?
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

Erhar

by Erhar

I'm running about 40 km 3-4 days of the wheek, but i bet i can do much more as it has become a very comfortable and fast ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com