Rapha Grand Tour Shoes...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WHITE OR BLACK?

White - no question!
35%
Black, of course!
27%
Neither
37%

Total votes: 99

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

bones wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
bones wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:
bones wrote:I refuse to buy Rapha shoes. They are environmentally irresponsible. The slaughter of wild yaks just for this high dollar shoe is reckless.

Isn't yak like deer in that the plural and singular variation of the word is the same?

Also, let's not have the discussion again, please. They aren't wild yak if they live on a farm.......

The problem is that you cannot confirm, and neither can Rapha, that their leathers do not come from Wild Yaks. So no. I am not going to buy these overpriced shoes so that I can proudly state to my friends that the leather comes from an endangered animal species.
They use leather supplied by Ecco. Having trawled their site I suspect that they are unlikely to be using Wild Yak to produce the product they supply to Rapha/Giro. The reason? Besides the damaging publicity t would garner for a company like Ecco, they also can't control the quality of the hide.

So, do us all a favour and sling your sanctimoniously misinformed hook.
Your hectoring attitude is having precisely the opposite effect to that which I suspect you intend.

Any one suggest a holiday company that organises Wild Yak hunting?

No. Ecco buys the Yak leathers, but they then sell it to Rapha. And Rapha does not know the true supply lines of the Ecco leathers and I imagine that neither does Ecco. So no, I am not going to believe that what Rapha or Ecco does is environmentally friendly regardless of the Ecco marketing.

Even utilizing farm-raised Yaks, which Rapha cannot confirm, it is extremely unethical to slaughter these animals when their brethren, the Wild Yak species, are endangered. Shame on you for supporting this cruel, senseless destruction of this animal for a pair of $400 cycling shoes.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

bones wrote:I am not going to buy these overpriced shoes so that I can proudly state to my friends that the leather comes from an endangered animal species.

Well the issue with your statement is that nobody cares if you buy the shoes or not.....especially me. I am sure the OP doesn't give a yak's a** either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

incognitus

by incognitus

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited by incognitus on Wed May 02, 2012 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

bones - enough please. First and last warning. This has already caused one thread to get locked

Lou3000

by Lou3000

bones wrote:I refuse to buy Rapha shoes. They are environmentally irresponsible. The slaughter of wild yaks just for this high dollar shoe is reckless.

What if I want these shoes BECAUSE they come from an endangered species?

Seriously, if we can ignore the potential ethical violations that Bones alleges, I think they are gorgeous. I would gladly ditch my white Giros for a pair of the black Raphas.

But wait, I forgot its cool to hate on Rapha right now. For a board that matches carbon weaves on components, when did style become passe?

sawyer

by sawyer

Lou3000 wrote:

What if I want these shoes BECAUSE they come from an endangered species?

Seriously, if we can ignore the potential ethical violations that Bones alleges, I think they are gorgeous. I would gladly ditch my white Giros for a pair of the black Raphas.

But wait, I forgot its cool to hate on Rapha right now. For a board that matches carbon weaves on components, when did style become passe?

Style isn't passe. It's Rapha that the board thinks passe. :wink:
Last edited by sawyer on Wed May 02, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

eric

by eric

The Rapha pre-packaged lifestyle clashes with my existing one.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Ah yes, but does your existing lifestyle have an inner monologue, interesting black and white hipstermatic images and "radical" font designs?

I wonder how many of Raphas style gurus just spend 20 minutes cleaning up toddler poo off their i-pads?

cameltoe

by cameltoe

You should have got the white ones, then you could go bowling in them too.

The black ones look like tap shoes.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

eric wrote:The Rapha pre-packaged lifestyle clashes with my existing one.

:thumbup:
Whenever some one mentions lifestyle products I usually say they should worry about getting a life first

incognitus

by incognitus

Dare to explain how this is any more (or less) a lifestyle product than the random other overpriced cycling shoe? Just curious.

sawyer

by sawyer

incognitus wrote:Dare to explain how this is any more (or less) a lifestyle product than the random other overpriced cycling shoe? Just curious.

Perhaps because it's aimed at the cycling and tap markets?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

eurperg

by eurperg

Meh. I think Sidis look better in general, come in different widths and also their brand is stronger. I'm must admit I'm a fan of Rapha clothing though...

incognitus

by incognitus

eurperg wrote:Meh. I think Sidis look better in general, come in different widths and also their brand is stronger. (...)

Another plus: you can also wear them to geek costume parties.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurperg

by eurperg

Yes there are some hideous color schemes also but luckily no one is forcing you to buy them..