TOUR magazin with digital quarterly English edition for Ipad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Graysk

by Graysk

sadly, they have decided to stop translating it into english after 2 issues. sent them an email and the editor replied saying the cost of translation is too high and they dont have enough english readers/subcribers. IMO, they have the best, logical and non-bias bike reviews. others, are just absolute nonsense.

bones

by bones

Wow! Just had a look at their free version online. Great mag. Great articles. Specifically the one comparing chain durability amongst the major chain manufacturers was eye-opening. I'm not gonna waste money on Campy chains anymore. That is for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

airwise

by airwise

Wow. Give up after one subscription issue - well done Tour. Why bother if you aren't going to give it a real trial FFS?

tanhalt

by tanhalt

Graysk wrote:sadly, they have decided to stop translating it into english after 2 issues. sent them an email and the editor replied saying the cost of translation is too high and they dont have enough english readers/subcribers. IMO, they have the best, logical and non-bias bike reviews. others, are just absolute nonsense.

They probably would've gotten more subscribers if they hadn't limited it to iPad only...that's half the problem right there :roll:

bones

by bones

Wait/ What?! They quit their English version already. Well, that sucks. The articles I read very highly informative, and very objective. They took out all the bullsh__ marketing hyped out of their test reviews and basically called it like the saw it. Advertisers be damned. It was very refreshing to see after having subscribed to Velonews all these years. Check out the last free one. They had a great article on chains, they tested all of them, and reported which were the most durable. They also did a test on about 50 carbon frames and actually measured stiffness and resiliency on a machine. Yep. None of that crap from other magazines about how such-and-such frame is both stiff, compliant, light, and cooks your dinner all at the same time.

maquisard

by maquisard

tanhalt wrote:They probably would've gotten more subscribers if they hadn't limited it to iPad only...that's half the problem right there :roll:

- Or advertised it in the English press! I think I only found out about it on here. To get the masses flocking to it you need to advertise it on the likes of cyclingnews, velonews etc.

konky

by konky

Absolutely I think it would be massively popular if people actually knew it existed in English. I'm gutted they've stopped the translated version already.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

That's a shame... whatever you think of Apple products they have a 68% tablet marketshare so if you have to try it for one format then that one makes sense.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

petromyzon wrote:That's a shame... whatever you think of Apple products they have a 68% tablet marketshare so if you have to try it for one format then that one makes sense.

How about making it so that it's available on ANY windows machine or Apple computer...you know, just like every other digital magazine subscription? What's the ratio of total computers vs. just iPads?

All I know is that even though I knew about it, I didn't subscribe because I don't have an iPad. That doesn't stop me from getting OTHER magazines digitally though :noidea:

petromyzon

by petromyzon

^^ fair. Not sure I need a special iPad experience. Maybe to do with the Apple "walled garden" that reduces the likelihood that people will circulate it unpaid for?

stevei

by stevei

tanhalt wrote:All I know is that even though I knew about it, I didn't subscribe because I don't have an iPad.

Me too, I paid a friend to download it onto his iPad so I could read the TT bike tunnel test article. I sent Tour an email via their website to tell them I really wanted to read their magazine but wasn't willing to buy an iPad to do so.

I don't see why it isn't worth them at least trying an open format such as pdf for one issue to see if the increased sales outweigh the increased piracy. Their current approach guarantees no sales at all.

I'd even buy the German version pdfs of the articles I'm interested in, but when I tried to work my way around their website to do that I wasn't able to work out how to buy what I wanted :(

Perhaps they could just implement a small English language website that has a list of the German language pdfs available to buy so we can easily buy those, even if the articles themselves are still in German.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

stevei wrote:
tanhalt wrote:All I know is that even though I knew about it, I didn't subscribe because I don't have an iPad.

Me too, I paid a friend to download it onto his iPad so I could read the TT bike tunnel test article. I sent Tour an email via their website to tell them I really wanted to read their magazine but wasn't willing to buy an iPad to do so.

I don't see why it isn't worth them at least trying an open format such as pdf for one issue to see if the increased sales outweigh the increased piracy. Their current approach guarantees no sales at all.

I'd even buy the German version pdfs of the articles I'm interested in, but when I tried to work my way around their website to do that I wasn't able to work out how to buy what I wanted :(

Perhaps they could just implement a small English language website that has a list of the German language pdfs available to buy so we can easily buy those, even if the articles themselves are still in German.

Or, just use a more universal digital publisher such as Zinio. It seems to work pretty well for getting Velonews digitally for me...

maquisard

by maquisard

Well, no use just posting here. Email them, I have.

Graysk

by Graysk

Maquisard,

You are absolutely right... There is no use complaining in a forum. Let's email em.

IMO, They have a great product if not the best... Unlike other bike magazines their reviews are based on solid facts and lab tests. I hate it when a bike article describes a bike like its a bottle of wine. And at the end of the article an awfully simple 5 star review.

Before I do so again, I would like gather some ideas from all of you guys on how TOUR could make it better on their marketing.

A) Expand its distribution channels...
1) Use a more universal digital publisher such as Zinio (as proposed by Tan halt). I think this is a great idea. One simply cannot open a newsstand to sell only one magazine!
2) Use Apple's Newsstand .... another popular digital newsstand

B) Compatibility Issues
1) Make them available in PC and Mac.. Not limited to iPads.

C) Advertise, Advertise, Advertise
1) Almost no one knows Tour (English Version) exists besides some of us here... TOUR need to advertise, on Cycling News, VeloNews, Bike Rumors and even on Weight Weenies. Place banners on top road cycling sites...
2) Build a Facebook account.... in English of course. I am sure you will get lots of positive compliments from the readers and words of mouth is the most powerful marketing tool.
3) Shoot a promo video clip about TOUR. Show how serious are u guys are in lab testing. I am sure bike fanatics will go nuts about it. It will be really awesome. Save some $ on the media buying.... Just post them on YouTube. You will be surprise how effective it could be. Post the videos on your FB account too.

Guys, Please contribute more ideas....

airwise

by airwise

Has anyone else "lost" the editions of Tour that they paid for?

I found issue one became unavailable off line pretty quickly despite having been downloaded. And now issue 2 has gone and they are asking me to pay for it again. this despite backing up.

It seems their decision not to sell via the usual Apple channels has led to some haphazard and shoddy product that does their reputation no good what so ever. I have so far paid for an app and for two magazines and have nothing to show for it. Anyone know who to contact?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com