Well there is a happy ending to this story, at least for the true believers out there.
So I decided that the issue must be with the cable/control box that connects the wiring harness to the levers so I decided to take this off and try it on another Di2 bike to prove this point. To do this I first needed to remove the bar tape and after doing that I could get to the spot where the cable is attached to the lever. The first thing I notice is that the connector into the RH lever is very easy to pull out, not like any of the other junctions. And the same thing with the LH lever and I thought that this was a little odd. So I played around with the cable into the LH lever and hey presto It works but as soon as I take pressure off the connector it stops working. So after a little googling I found out that you need to push the connector in to lever with the thin end of the tool that comes with Di2 and that it should click in hard to the lever and sure enough when I get the tool and pushed hard the connector engages totally differently. It's now very secure and I can not take it out by hand. And sure enough the lever now works perfectly.
So after all of that it was an installation issue, the guys who installed it (it was the 2nd Di2 that they had done at the time) did not know/forgot to install it correctly.
The strange thing is that it was installed over two years ago and it has not missed a beat during that time and I have no idea what would have caused both lever connections to fail at the one time.
So to all of you that were predicting that this was the beginning of the end for Di2 I am truly sorry.
Great news. Defcon 1 cancelled.