Aero postion on the road, your take?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

JamieL

by JamieL

nathanong87 wrote:griptape?! isnt' that like sandpaper....ouch!

...yeah...

Took a while but it's softened up a lot now. at first it was ok for short periods but now it's fine. Only problem is i like riding with my hands on the tops and i'm getting holes in all my gloves. No chance of slipping off though

beardking

by beardking

ultyguy wrote:Or you can go 'pro' style and copy what Sky were doing at the Tour of Beijing ITT w/ road bikes...

whats going on there? I can't really see or tell what the bulges on the bar are.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

beardking wrote:
ultyguy wrote:Or you can go 'pro' style and copy what Sky were doing at the Tour of Beijing ITT w/ road bikes...

whats going on there? I can't really see or tell what the bulges on the bar are.

Sorry, small pic, if you click on it to expand you can see that they have rolled kind of 'doughnuts' on the handle bars so that the forearms wouldn't bounce side to side too much. I can't remember if the UCI had a view on this or not tho.

The interesting thing about that ITT tho was that it was run on road bikes and it produced exactly the same results as an ITT run on TT bikes would have. :smartass:
1 Tony Martin (Ger) HTC - Highroad 0:13:34
2 David Millar (GBr) Team Garmin - Cervelo 0:00:17
3 Alex Dowsett (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:00:24
4 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:00:26
5 Stephen Cummings (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:00:35
6 Lars Boom (Ned) Rabobank Cycling Team 0:00:36

LeePaton

by LeePaton

I'm normally a "grab the missing aerobars" guy but last night I tried the spartacus approach and must say it felt very good!!! Didn't lose any noticeable control or the ability to put power down if needed. Think it may become my new go to position.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

With the Zipp contour SL bars the position is fairly comfortable. Your forearms do get a bit beat up, I did a 20k TT that way and while I was riding it was fine but once I stopped my arms were not happy.

I also feel like it is a very stable position, there is plenty of friction for my to make corrections to my path and most bumps are ok. It is also a good change of pace on longer rides. Like someone earlier said, it is a great way to stretch your back and give your hands a rest from holding onto the bars.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

BmanX

by BmanX

What I would like to see is a hybrid of these bars. Top section of the aero basebar and drops of their drop bar. I think this would make a killer aero drop bar. What I like is that you could use a "COMPUTER MOUNT" to fill in the holes and actually mount your power meter on the end but maybe have it stick out just a bit more than normal so you could ride on the top of the bars and have something to hold on too. I actually posted this in another forum and someone from felt did reply.

What I asked for was a computer mount to fill in the holes for the aero extensions for road riding, shortie aerobars for ITU racing and some slightly longer extensions for grand fondo riders. The ITU and longer distance riders could add armrests if wanted but I think the tops are flat enough that you would not have too.

I was told that this was a 1%er request as only a very small portion of people would want something like this but if 3T can offer the Zefiro and it is in their line, I do not see why someone else could not improve on it and offer what I am suggesting.

A very cool bar that is aero drop bar that is technically OK to use in UCI, ITU and normal riding.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

beardking

by beardking

what about this position, just noticed it on wiggle and i've never seen anyone using it before.
looks quite compact, I might give it a try

hna

by hna

Looks like he is descending though. Unsure how that position will work when pedaling.

rustychain

by rustychain

I do that with my hands on top of the bars. Works for me
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Ditto. Top of bars, not underneath (better control that way). I use that whilst descending.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

BmanX

by BmanX

+2 on top of bars close to stem with elbows dropped and chin/face just far enough behind the stem that if I do hit a bump I do not lose a tooth or two.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

veganeric

by veganeric

JamieL wrote:
nathanong87 wrote:griptape?! isnt' that like sandpaper....ouch!

...yeah...

Took a while but it's softened up a lot now. at first it was ok for short periods but now it's fine. Only problem is i like riding with my hands on the tops and i'm getting holes in all my gloves. No chance of slipping off though

You could try some hockey friction tape instead. That should be much easier on your arms and gloves. ex. http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=FT

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

beardking wrote:Image
what about this position, just noticed it on wiggle and i've never seen anyone using it before.

nibali did this underhand descending technique during his attempted escaped during LBL. that was the first time i've seen it

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

beardking wrote:Image

I've seen Sanchez seen descending like this in the TdF, except that he properly grabbed the handlebars from below, and put his chest on top of the bars. Looked very very tucked, and he could stay in the saddle, as opposed to sitting on the top tube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com