Rapha Grand Tour Shoes...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WHITE OR BLACK?

White - no question!
35%
Black, of course!
27%
Neither
37%

Total votes: 99

Horacio

by Horacio

Instead of "You are not alone" on the Vittoria's...I'd like mine to read, "Don't get dropped".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brycerider

by brycerider

Over styled. Look like something Fred Astaire wore. Get the Giro version in black.

Sent from my ME860 using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops

notsoswift

by notsoswift

incognitus wrote:Thanks for the replies!

I actually just pulled the trigger and went with the poll, i.e. the black ones. I agree that the white ones just look slightly too .... white?

Isn't the poll result Neither?

cmh

by cmh

Rick wrote:No vote: they BOTH look pretty good.
But "Yak leather" ?!?!? :shock:

FWIW I have a pair of running shoes that are made of yak leather...by far the comfiest running pair I own. Much softer and more breathable than Sidi leather for sure.

Horacio

by Horacio

I believe at the time he decided, the majority was black. The longer the poll is active, the "neithers" get greater.

incognitus

by incognitus

Horacio wrote:I believe at the time he decided, the majority was black. The longer the poll is active, the "neithers" get greater.

Interesting observation. Any theory as to why that is?

incognitus

by incognitus

cazone wrote:the red ones

This was not meant seriously, was it? :noidea:
Last edited by incognitus on Tue May 01, 2012 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

incognitus

by incognitus

brycerider wrote:Over styled. Look like something Fred Astaire wore. Get the Giro version in black.

Sent from my ME860 using Tapatalk 2

Damnit. I can see where you are coming from...

bones

by bones

I refuse to buy Rapha shoes. They are environmentally irresponsible. The slaughter of wild yaks just for this high dollar shoe is reckless.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

bones wrote:I refuse to buy Rapha shoes. They are environmentally irresponsible. The slaughter of wild yaks just for this high dollar shoe is reckless.

Isn't yak like deer in that the plural and singular variation of the word is the same?

Also, let's not have the discussion again, please. They aren't wild yak if they live on a farm.......

sawyer

by sawyer

The Fred Astaire comment is on the money.

If the white Rapha shoes didn't have the black skunk band and perhaps just had some silver/pale gold Rapha motifs then they would be quite classy. They have reviewed well.

Too Fred Astaire for me.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

bones

by bones

btompkins0112 wrote:
bones wrote:I refuse to buy Rapha shoes. They are environmentally irresponsible. The slaughter of wild yaks just for this high dollar shoe is reckless.

Isn't yak like deer in that the plural and singular variation of the word is the same?

Also, let's not have the discussion again, please. They aren't wild yak if they live on a farm.......

The problem is that you cannot confirm, and neither can Rapha, that their leathers do not come from Wild Yaks. So no. I am not going to buy these overpriced shoes so that I can proudly state to my friends that the leather comes from an endangered animal species.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

They use leather supplied by Ecco. Having trawled their site I suspect that they are unlikely to be using Wild Yak to produce the product they supply to Rapha/Giro. The reason? Besides the damaging publicity t would garner for a company like Ecco, they also can't control the quality of the hide.

So, do us all a favour and sling your sanctimoniously misinformed hook.

bones

by bones

No. Ecco buys the Yak leathers, but they then sell it to Rapha. And Rapha does not know the true supply lines of the Ecco leathers and I imagine that neither does Ecco. So no, I am not going to believe that what Rapha or Ecco does is environmentally friendly regardless of the Ecco marketing.

Even utilizing farm-raised Yaks, which Rapha cannot confirm, it is extremely unethical to slaughter these animals when their brethren, the Wild Yak species, are endangered. Shame on you for supporting this cruel, senseless destruction of this animal for a pair of $400 cycling shoes.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Wed May 02, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted all of the quoting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmh

by cmh

lol.