Oakley's: Jawbone vs. Radar Path

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Jawbone or Radar Path?

Jawbone
18%
Radar Path
78%
Other (please specify)
4%

Total votes: 45

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Hey everyone!

Well I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask about some Oakley's. I am looking to finally buy my first pair of good sports related sunglasses after using a cheap-o pair for about a year that are held together right now by superglue. My problem is I'm having trouble deciding between the Oakley Radar Path's or the Jawbone's.

I will be using these for Cycling mostly and also running. I have found that I have a smaller head *wear small sized Specialized helmet* and that I like sunglasses that sit closer to my face. I wear contacts so I want to avoid air blowing in/around the lenses so they don't dry out too much/get stuff in them. I tend to like sunglasses that fit snug, close to face and provide a tighter "seal" around the eyes so to speak to keep things out.

You guys think the Jawbone's or Radar Path's are a better option for me? The Jawbone's I'm currently looking at come with vented lens however I have read those don't let so much air in to cause a problem yet prevent fogging.

Also, the cost different between the Jawbone's and Radar Path's is not an issue so don't factor that into your suggestions. Thanks!
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beardking

by beardking

I have jawbones and they're great. but I've also tried on a friends radar paths and they fitted me well too......

how about the new radar lock path glasses that are coming out soon?

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

The Radar LockPath's would be another option as well, I guess I sort of considered them the same as the Radar in that the fit should be identical same with lens coverage. I thought the only thing that was changed was the "lock" lens switching as well as some visual stuff like the look of the arms/air port size thing.

jdp211

by jdp211

I'd check out the Split Jackets, they're very similar to Jawbones, but a bit smaller

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

i have both, and i have a fat face. radar's are sweet.

giant man

by giant man

Whatever Radar lens you get, make sure you get the right one for your face ie Path, Pitch or Range, and as already stated, have a look at the new Radar Lock, imo a cross between the Radar and the Jawbone.

sungod

by sungod

i wear contacts and use radar path

only had a problem with a lens once, i was almost stationary, i tend not to blink enough, so dry eyes coupled with a very strong gust from the side and i lost a lens, but that's one time in nearly 3 years

at speed i've had no problem at all

riding there's just enough ventilation to stop fogging in winter weather, the field of vision is excellent

as above, it's worth checking the various radar lens shapes to see which fits best

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Interesting results, i was actually leaning toward the jawbones since when i tried them on they seemed to be "tighter" and cover down farther than the path, sadly no stores near me have any lens length aside from the path, lens switching is a major selling point for me. Want just 1 pair for all conditions that i can easily change lens on.

record

by record

Jawbone's in my opinion are MTB only glasses. They obstruct your side vision up to the point that I find it dangerous for road cycling, but they cover eyes nicely and keep them out of mud. They would also look stupid for running, especially on a smaller face.

Radars are do it all glasses. Great for running and cycling, both road and offroad. They are much smaller and lighter than Jawbones, but keep in mind they are wide and they look funny on narrow faces.

If you have small face Flak jackets are a good bet as well. Lightweight, not as wide as the Radars, nice choice of lenses (smaller and XLJ), they look great on smaller faces. The only bad thing about them is the fact that they're not as flashy as the other two, but that might be good thing for some.

I recommend trying both Flaks and Radars.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

record wrote:Jawbone's in my opinion are MTB only glasses. They obstruct your side vision up to the point that I find it dangerous for road cycling, but they cover eyes nicely and keep them out of mud. They would also look stupid for running, especially on a smaller face.

Radars are do it all glasses. Great for running and cycling, both road and offroad. They are much smaller and lighter than Jawbones, but keep in mind they are wide and they look funny on narrow faces.

If you have small face Flak jackets are a good bet as well. Lightweight, not as wide as the Radars, nice choice of lenses (smaller and XLJ), they look great on smaller faces. The only bad thing about them is the fact that they're not as flashy as the other two, but that might be good thing for some.

I recommend trying both Flaks and Radars.

I have tried on the flaks but didnt, like how long the ear stem were, that was another plus for the jaws for me, anyone care to comment on the temple length of the radars?

sjc166

by sjc166

My 2 cents...Radar's are the best. I tried both on the weekend and thought the Radar's were lighter and more comfortable so I went with them. Depending on your age too, older guys with wearing Jawbones look like tosser's.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

sjc166 wrote:My 2 cents...Radar's are the best. I tried both on the weekend and thought the Radar's were lighter and more comfortable so I went with them. Depending on your age too, older guys with wearing Jawbones look like tosser's.

I'm 21 so I guess I can ignore the older guys comment :mrgreen:

I'm seriously look at the Oakley RadarLock's now as I have read the Radar's are a bit hard to change lens on. Also, I would immediately buy a low light lens for the Radar's bringing it's price up to that of the Lock's anyhow.

I figure I will wait and see a few more days for more comments etc... here and hopefully someone can testify to the difference in temple length between the Radar's and Jawbones. I feel like my best option might be to get the RadarLock's from somewhere like RealCyclist with a nice return policy if worst case I'm not sold on the fit/feel after a few rides.

sjc166

by sjc166

33 and i feel 63, one day you will know the feeling. Seems Radar's are the peoples choice too.

KWalker

by KWalker

Have you considered the new Smith Pivlock 2s?

I prefer Radar paths personally. Have had multiple sets of Radars (all lense types) and Jawbones. Jawbones fog a bit too much and I don't like the rim around the bottom as much. Radars seem to fog up less and have good coverage. I don't find the lenses too hard to change but I also don't do it a ton either.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

If your going to run, I would go with the Radar's. The Jawbones are a bit heavier and they would wear on you since you bounce up and down when running. Finding a good fit on the lens is good advice.

I plan on selling a pair of my Jawbones to get a pair of the Radar Locks.

The Flak Jackets always remind me of baseball players.

When I buy Oakleys I always try to get the ones that are non painted. The back of the ear stems always contacts the plastic straps on my helmet...that always scrapes off the paint on the back of the ear stems.