Lightweight Standard Gen III Problem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

frankq

by frankq

DSCN0237.jpg
DSCN0234.jpg
Hi, new member and a question. I have included some photos of a new Lightweight Gen III with a weird problem. Has any body else seen something like this when pulling a tire off of wheel. Equipment is Gen III Standard, FMB Competition CX Silk 22mm, Conti Carbon Rim Cement. Gluing process was 1 coat on rim/tire wait 24 hours, another coat on rim and tire, wait 20 min or so final coat on tire mount and stretch. NO tools were used to take tire off, just blistered thumbs(FMB Silk's mount really easy, taking them off is another deal) Thanks for any input, just really wondering if I did something wrong or these wheels are just crap.

sedluk

by sedluk

That is not normal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 2011

I had this happen to a set of Cane Creek carbon rims. Had a couple shops look at them and they determinded they were unsafe to ride, because even if the tire was glued up really well, going around a turn the tire could just rip off the rim where the carbon has started to delaminate.

Someone suggest putting a layer of epoxy on the tire bed surface to hold down the carbon. Anyway... I sold the wheels because I did not want to deal with them.

I'd suggest contacting Lightweight first.

rustychain

by rustychain

I had this happen to a lesser degree on some Edge wheels. Edge promptly replace the rim and rebuilt the wheel free of charge. This happens seldom but it does happen. As a result when I remove a tire I pull it off slowly and from the side after first breaking as much of the bond as I can working first from one side then the other (yes sore thumbs). The good news is you did a great job gluing your tires :thumbup:

2011. remind me not to buy used wheels from you :wink: (I'm sure you told the buyer)
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

frankq

by frankq

2011, I did contact lightweight(I am original owner and did register wheels 2/07/12), I think the day the picture was taken I sent email with photos, no response, sent another email the following week no response, called them the week after the second email, they said they would arrange pickup, waited no response or updated info thru phone or email(let alone pickup) called last week and sent detailed email with photos and contact information again, they said this week they would pickup on Mon because Tue is Holiday in Germany. Well nothing happened on Monday no email no call no response. Yes they speak English but it's not quite right(in my best poor white trash "ya know what I'm saying") I think they deem it user fault and just don't reply to people they don't want to help. But I am just guessing because they don't respond to email and they just give lip service over the phone.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Tubular Tire Rolling Possibilities:

1) Rolling tire (base tape) off rim
2) Rolling tire off base tape
3) Rolling (delaminiating) top layer of rim from lower layers of rim

People worry most about number 1, but should, and some do, also worry about number 2. As your case shows, perhaps some amount of worrying about number 3 is in order as well, although what to do about it, other than not using a rim having any evidence of delamination, is not obvious to me.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

To avoid this in the future I would suggest putting some heat to the basetape/rim joint as you Peel the tire away. Seen this before when dudes get some of the tire up from the rim and then just start yanking. (Not saying you did this here but that's what I have seen firsthand.) A little heat will loosen the bond to allow safer tire removal. Sorry for that wheel.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

incognitus

by incognitus

frankq wrote:2011, I did contact lightweight(I am original owner and did register wheels 2/07/12), I think the day the picture was taken I sent email with photos, no response, sent another email the following week no response, called them the week after the second email, they said they would arrange pickup, waited no response or updated info thru phone or email(let alone pickup) called last week and sent detailed email with photos and contact information again, they said this week they would pickup on Mon because Tue is Holiday in Germany. Well nothing happened on Monday no email no call no response. Yes they speak English but it's not quite right(in my best poor white trash "ya know what I'm saying") I think they deem it user fault and just don't reply to people they don't want to help. But I am just guessing because they don't respond to email and they just give lip service over the phone.

That's weird. So far, I've had only good experiences with their support - using "support@lightweight.info". They usually stand behind their product. Where are you located?

frankq

by frankq

DSCN0243.jpg
Ja, i've used the mail@lightweight.info the first time, second time I used the repair@lightweight.info, Two international phone calls, and the last detailed email I sent after speaking to someone was mail.lightweight.info. I am in the U.S. but I don't think that should be a problem, at least the woman said that wasn't a problem. I really don't like the look of mein mismatched wheel frankenbike.

Roobay

by Roobay

Carbon Sports are on here from time to time, and i never really seen a problem with there wheels like that before.
Im pretty sure once they get wind of this thread it will be sorted quickly. :thumbup:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

incognitus

by incognitus

Just curious, any update on this?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

When i spoke to the guys of FFWD I specifically asked if they had these issues with their wheels as well. I was told that it happens from time to time, but that it is due to the fact that the glue is not completely dry yet. wet glue on the rim meets wet glue on the tire and create a super bond. When you then take of the tire this sometimes happens.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

dogma

by dogma

hi i had the exact thing happen on my gen. 1. mixed up a batch of j.b. weld rubbed it over the divot and beyond about 1/2 inch with my finger.let it dry over night, light wet sand with 400 grit, re glued the tire have at least 10 re-mounts since then no issues.

frankq

by frankq

Just an update, they set up shipping and pickup up from home. Lightweight deemed the damage user fault(that 5 foot step up with flat tranny really goofed things up) and fixed the rear wheel. Have had them for about 2 weeks as of now and mounted and removed 1 tire with no problem. Repair looks awesome and I don't have any worries about further problems. But I will warn people that need to ship a wheel/wheelset to Europe, Germany in particular from the U.S. It is EXPENSIVE. The repair cost about 200 U.S. but shipping was about 400 U.S. It is nice having the stable back in good order. Ride safe everyone and have a good weekend.
Attachments
DSCN0286.jpg%22.jpeg

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Yes, you get shafted when sending by the couriers (UPS, Fedex, etc.) if you don't have a corporate account. CarbonSports is almost surely paying far less for shipping than you would if arranging yourself for shipping..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com