Dura Ace C35 vs. Zipp 101; a straw poll...!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Having narrowed my search to these two

Dura Ace C35 and Zipp 101 which would you go for?

I am testing a set of C35 next week and have heard good things about both sets of wheels. Both appeal. I like the idea of a wider tyre in the Zipp wheels. Both meet the criteria I am looking for. Strong, fast. Weight not an issue as a clyde myself and both have good rider weight reports. No decision made, just wondered what others might go for based on what you do or don't like.

Thanks again.

D.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

C35, no question. Great hubs (I have the C50 tubulars, and a pair if Ambrosio Nemesis laced to DA hubs), and a overall very nice wheelset by all reports. I am also not sure about the durability of the Zipp 101 for a clyde.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Why not build some alpha 340s around the hub of your choice?

You would have a more long term wheel going that route with a easily replaceable rim (at less cost) should it wear out or get crashed.

Even with alchemy or tune hubs the cost would be > than 101's / c35s and the ride quality will be similar / equal imo.

beardking

by beardking

mr_tim wrote:Why not build some alpha 340s around the hub of your choice?

You would have a more long term wheel going that route with a easily replaceable rim (at less cost) should it wear out or get crashed.

Even with alchemy or tune hubs the cost would be > than 101's / c35s and the ride quality will be similar / equal imo.

greater than?

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Has anyone here ridden the Zipp 101s for any length of time? I have. They're super fast wheels. The front is fantastic and the rear is good (stupid radial drive spokes seem to let the wheel wind up a bit on slow high torque stuff). The hubs are very nice that the build quality solid. Shimanos are underrated wheels all around, and are very versatile: good at everything. Either one of thee wheels will be great, so just decide what qualities you're biased towards and your decision is made.

Phill P

by Phill P

Check out this for some measured data on the C35s and the 101s
http://www.tour-qtr.com/epaper_4_2011

If you are a clyde, more spokes the better. But depending on how stiff and durable you want these wheels its your call in the end. Mind you you aren't a real clyde until you are over 100kg, >80kg you are bigger than average, below 80kg don't complain!
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

jmilliron

by jmilliron

I'd get the Zipp 101. Slightly lighter, less expensive and I'm intrigued by the wider profile of the rim.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Phill P wrote:Check out this for some measured data on the C35s and the 101s
http://www.tour-qtr.com/epaper_4_2011

If you are a clyde, more spokes the better. But depending on how stiff and durable you want these wheels its your call in the end. Mind you you aren't a real clyde until you are over 100kg, >80kg you are bigger than average, below 80kg don't complain!

A good read concluded with what we all knew that the Wheelsets I am considering are great, not remarkable, but more than enough for me. Both support a small clyde according to the replies I have had from both companies. I think I would be hard pressed to notice a difference on either given my skillset, but its one or the other. Test riding the C35's tomorrow or Tuesday. As jmilliron says the wider profile sounds cool and could run 23/24/25mm I would imagine. Thanks again.

billspreston

by billspreston

101 user chiming in here. Have about 4k miles on these wheels and I really like them. I have not tried the C35 wheels so I can't compare, however. I like running a wider 24-25mm tire and the Zipps seem to work well for this. The 88/188 hubs spin nice. I weigh 145lbs and the 101s have been really durable and not needed a true yet. I ride some rough roads with a fair amount of gravel/dirt in the mix. My only complaint is the wheels are on the heavy side and maybe a little pricey for an alloy set. That said, the 101s are definitely fast and nearly the perfect training set for me. Wide, durable, aero, in an aluminum rim that I'm not worried about riding hard.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Thanks.

I have thrown HED Ardenne into the ring now, another unremarkable but stand up wheel set.

Kastrup

by Kastrup

If i remember correctly. The Ardennes have a shallower rim right? Why not consider the c24s aswell?

These are the ones i am currently leaning towards in a quest similar to yours.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

sawyer

by sawyer

Of the two C35s, though I'd rather get C24s and put the balance towards some tubs.

Have C24s and 202s - which are kind of a tub version of the 101s. All these wheels are good, but C35 clinchers and 101s are overpriced IMO.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Kastrup wrote:If i remember correctly. The Ardennes have a shallower rim right? Why not consider the c24s aswell?

These are the ones i am currently leaning towards in a quest similar to yours.

Yes, on the list too. It is not that hard a decision, but it is made harder by my decision to move away from deep section tubular wheels for good as changing my outlook and riding based on certain factors. I have two bikes and more than likely buy a set of something for the 'best bike' and something else for the other in time. The one thing holding me back from a purchase now is this issue with the wider rim thus helping rolling resistance which of course is what we like about tub. That said, I ride my single speed daily with cheap clincher wheels and never do I think or indeed feel like I am riding on the centre of the tyre so perhaps I am thinking too hard - which in turn goes back to the whole moving deep section on due to ill health. It is a strange paradox.