Need help picking a shoe

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I'm looking for new cycling shoes. I tried the Bont Vaypors but I couldn't get them to work for me. I've also tried DMT's with no luck. I have a pair of Sidi Ergo 2 Carbons but I was wondering if there is anything besides Sidi I should look at. There prices are pretty high compared to a lot of other shoes out there. Are they really that much better? There are a ton of new shoes on the market but I don't know real world reviews of them. Has anyone went from Sidi to another brand and has been happy?

Has anyone tried the Northwave Extreme Tech SBS?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

What do you like or dislike about your Sidi's? Also, do you just want a change or is there a particular reason you are looking for something else? I ask this as someone that has been having a hell of a hard time finding shoes that work for them so I feel like if you have something that works don't mess with it. That being said...

What didn't work about the DMT and Vaypors? I know a large amount of people seem to really like Specialized shoes. I'm personally not a fan as the varus wedge has always made my feet feel weird and actually put odd pressures on the outer side of my shoe and toes.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Well I made a quick decision. I saw that Competitive Cyclist had a sale on Mavic Huez, so I made the plunge and decided to give those a try. :thumbup:

LouisN

by LouisN

With the kind of budget you can put on bikes, I wouldn't hesitate a second and go for D2 superfly :thumbup:

Louis :)

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Hope you checked this site out..

http://www.xxcycle.com/road-shoes,en.php

I just got a pair of ergo 3s in the speedplay soles for $305..

Pretty dam ace!

bones

by bones

:!:
STOP! Just stop right there, dead in your tracks. Enough about how Sidi is the best at this, that, or the other. Enough about how Bont is a great fit, custom, blah, blah.

Shoes play a huge impact on comfort and performance. Fit is the most important thing. People spend tons of time obsessing over weight of their wheels, brakes, etc. and then go order some shoes that they've never tried on. Not saying that is the case here, but you gotta try as many shoes on as possible to get the shoe that is right for you. And don't ever worry about the evil looks from that local bike shop shoe salesman if you don't buy the shoe that he lets you try on.

There are some shoes that are better for wide feet, as well as shoes that are better for narrow feet. What type of feet do you have? Based on that maybe we can give you an idea of a few shoes that might be worthwhile for you to go try on.

andrewryangibson

by andrewryangibson

Spec sworks are super light and comfy. Was on sidi road and mountain before, and not going back.

madmole

by madmole

Careful with the Mavics, the cleat mounting holes are incredibly far forward on all of them. if your a beleiver in the current trend for more rearward placement of cleats your be very dissapointed
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

Guy

by Guy

bones wrote::!:
Fit is the most important thing. People spend tons of time obsessing over weight of their wheels, brakes, etc. and then go order some shoes that they've never tried on. Not saying that is the case here, but you gotta try as many shoes on as possible to get the shoe that is right for you. And don't ever worry about the evil looks from that local bike shop shoe salesman if you don't buy the shoe that he lets you try on.

There are some shoes that are better for wide feet, as well as shoes that are better for narrow feet. What type of feet do you have? Based on that maybe we can give you an idea of a few shoes that might be worthwhile for you to go try on.

One caveat - fit whilst in a shop can be completely different with cleats mounted and riding.

Shoes, like saddles, are a personal thing. It might be a case of wasting a lot of money until the slipper fits.

MDiddy

by MDiddy

I just picked up a pair of Gaerne carbon mythos. Fit is similar to sidi, but with a bit more room in the toe box. Fairly light and the sole is stiff but not rigid. Very nice shoes in my opinion.

timzcat

by timzcat

Don't want to hijack gum's thread but I am in the same boat currently. I have s-works and they are confortable but I get hot spots lust like the previous shimano and other specialized. I am currently in Bont CTT-1 and they fix the host spot, probably by virtual of the extreme stiffness of the sole and the sole actually sits entirely under foot unlike a lot of other manufacturers. Yet they are not the most comfortable which is fine but I have really high arches and to tighten the bonts at all causes numbness. Loose enough to avoid that and foot moves around too much. I Would just like to find something I can truly be comfortable in but there is very little good information out there on true fit of shoes. I was going to try a Sidi but am concerned they will be too narrow and have the typical flat/no wide enough sole design like everyone but Bont.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

timzcat wrote:Don't want to hijack gum's thread but I am in the same boat currently. I have s-works and they are confortable but I get hot spots lust like the previous shimano and other specialized. I am currently in Bont CTT-1 and they fix the host spot, probably by virtual of the extreme stiffness of the sole and the sole actually sits entirely under foot unlike a lot of other manufacturers. Yet they are not the most comfortable which is fine but I have really high arches and to tighten the bonts at all causes numbness. Loose enough to avoid that and foot moves around too much. I Would just like to find something I can truly be comfortable in but there is very little good information out there on true fit of shoes. I was going to try a Sidi but am concerned they will be too narrow and have the typical flat/no wide enough sole design like everyone but Bont.

Do you use insoles for your high arch's like eSoles or something of that nature? If so then I would highly recommend looking into the Sidi Mega size shoes. I used to wear Sidi Genius 5'size 42 then got insoles and moved to the 42's in a Mega. The Mega's fit perfectly with the insoles in, not too tight or too lose, have enough extra volume to compensate for the insole.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

bontie

by bontie

Apparently the Gaerne shoes are very underrated. They are not much cheaper than Sidi, but very good according to few friends.

JesseD

by JesseD

I have ergo 2's and a pair of Shimano custom mouldable ones which are 3 years old, they are still going strong, really stiff and very comfortable, I actually prefer them to my Sidi's :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vittoriashoes
in the industry

by vittoriashoes

I of course could always chime in here and say Go With Vittoria Shoes!

But I won't. Of course I would love for people to buy our shoes. But what Bones said is perfect. There are so many issues for people to deal with when fitting a shoe that no one thnks about. But they spend months deciding on a skewer!

Our shoes-Vittoria-no relation to the tire company(they copied our name)-we make all of our shoes in not just different lengths or for people with two differing length feet, we will sell them two different length shoes, we also make 4 different widths, two different volumes because not everyone has the same size instep or arch or even thickness of foot.

We've even made shoes with two different length tongues!

We make shoes. And we make them ALL in our factory by hand in Italy. Actually, EVERYTHING is Made in Italy. Versus other companies. This allows us to make shoes faster and with all the options.

Remember, the most important factors are the connection points to your bike. Your feet being one of them. So take a long look at what you are getting. There are so many choices and one that's great for one person won't always be great for another.

www.vittoria-shoes.com