Orange Seal tire tire sealant initial review

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Colin

by Colin

First of all, other than both living in the same state, I have NO connection to this company.
At every one of our state series races this year Orange Seal Cycling Products has had a booth setup with some of their products. After talking to one of the founders of the company I decided to go ahead and give their tire sealant a shot.

So far I have setup 2 brand new tires, 5 older tires, and fixed one flat with it (a pretty thick cactus thorn), and have had no issues! The 2 new tires sealed right up within a minute or two of the bead seating, faster than Stan's ever did. The tire with the cactus puncture was using Stan's but had run dry, put about a half cup (the little red Stan's cup) of the Orange Seal in there and it sealed right up. One of the older tires I setup had issues completely sealing with other sealants, it would stay sealed enough for a ride but would be flat by the next day, put a bit of the Orange Seal in and it completely sealed it, no issues yet.

I only have a couple rides using their sealant so far, one of which involved running over a cactus during a race (this was a different tire than the one mentioned above), afterwards I checked the pressure and it had only lost 5psi before it sealed. So needless to say, I am more than happy with it!

I'll keep you guys updated on how it works out in the long run! Also, it claims to be "World's Lightest Sealant", but stupid me forgot about that until I had already put it in the tires.. :oops:

UPDATE: As far as sealing holes goes, it was noticeably better than Stan's! Unfortunately, it doesn't last long at all, and as has been pointed out, it's not cheap. Unless you live in a fairly cool environment, I wouldn't recommend Orange Seal. Here in Texas, I was replacing it every 2-3 weeks during the summer (with temperatures no lower than 100F daily), and every 1-2 months during the cooler months. Just became too costly!
Last edited by Colin on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

What is the viscosity like in comparison to Stans and Cafe latex? Also, the big factor - how much / litre (quart)?
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

TTP

by TTP

I've been using this sealant for a week now. I just received my Scalpel 29er and used Stan's on the rear. I used one those little bottles. I found that Stan's did not seal as well as the orange seal I applied to the front tire. I found the orange seal sealed quicker and more thoroughly using the same amount. [

Colin

by Colin

I don't have any experience with Cafe Latex, but the Orange Seal is not quite as thick as Stan's.
It comes in an 8oz bottle, and they recommend 2-3oz for a 26in tire.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Per quart it works out to $60 ($14.99 for 8oz), which is about double the price of Stans... pity

renton

by renton

Duh! So it costs a little more but works better.....let me think???

So let me get this straight dwaharvey....you go cheap on crap and pass on the podium due to your cheap sealant spraying the trail? While your competition seals and beats your ass. I don't get it. images/smilies/icon_noidea.gif

Privateer

by Privateer

Actually, to me it sounds like it might work a little better, but it costs a lot more.

I see this is your first post. Do you by chance have any connection to the company?

doccoraje

by doccoraje

Privateer wrote:Actually, to me it sounds like it might work a little better, but it costs a lot more.

I see this is your first post. Do you by chance have any connection to the company?

Well, maybe he is just trying to make friends :noidea: strange way to start.

renton

by renton

I hate Stans.

renton

by renton

Lets just say I once had a connection with Stans.

Colin

by Colin

I completely forgot about this post!

Privateer wrote:Actually, to me it sounds like it might work a little better, but it costs a lot more.

As far as sealing holes goes, it was noticeably better than Stan's! Unfortunately, it doesn't last long at all, and as has been pointed out, it's not cheap. Unless you live in a fairly cool environment, I wouldn't recommend Orange Seal. Here in Texas, I was replacing it every 2-3 weeks during the summer (with temperatures no lower than 100F daily), and every 1-2 months during the cooler months. Just became too costly!

renton

by renton

I get two months to three easily. . No worries.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Given the lifetime of products like this and Stan's, is there any viability of using them for sealing tubulars? It seems like because you can't scrape out dried up gunk in a tub, that this would not be a good application.

Colin

by Colin

Yeah, Stan's (or whatever your preferred sealant is) works great for Tubs. Just wait until you get a flat, and then only use a tiny bit, only need enough for it to seal up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

So rather than riding with sealant in the tire all the time it's better to add it after a flat? I'm sure there's more on this in the 600 page tub thread. Sorry for hijacking. I guess in that scenario the sealant drying out is not a problem.