Road derailleur for 9-speed grip shift?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Which rear road derailleurs have the correct actuation ratio (1:1) for Sram 9-speed grip shift? I'm thinking through a weenie solution for a flat bar commuter build. Would the SRAM 10-speed derailleurs (force or rival) work? Thanks!

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

As far as I'm aware, none!

You could use a short cage 9 spd mtb mech though. (SRAM road and 10 spd mtb use a different cable pull to 9 spd).

Alternatively, you'll need shimano mech and shimano compatible gripshift.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Hmm. What about SRAM attack grip shift (for shimano) with a DA 7700(or 7800) RD? Seems like that should do it. Right?

Liggero

by Liggero

2002maniac wrote:Hmm. What about SRAM attack grip shift (for shimano) with a DA 7700(or 7800) RD? Seems like that should do it. Right?

that should work perfectly indeed. I use sram rockets (nearly the same as attack, just the rubber grips are different). You can also install a medium or large cage to a shimano road rear der. I would recommend to think about what rubber grips fit you better. I only like the ones of the X0. You can also purchase the X0 grip shifts too, then switch the rubbers and sell the X0 with the rubbers from the attack. I suggest this as it's much cheaper to buy the full x0 grip shifts rubber included, that buying the rubber grips separated.
Happy Trails !!!

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Thanks, I'll probably remove the rubber grip and replace it with a piece of ESI foam.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

This bit of marketing ooze makes me think that a sram road der should work with sram twisties:

When we launched our road technology from scratch we reapplied our MTB proven SRAM 1:1 actuation ratio...

Is it really not the same?

I'd like to go sram if possible because the RDs are lighter for the money and I already have an X0 rear shifter.