Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Giant DK

by Giant DK

Yip, that's what I did a fex times. The shoe was mayby a fex mm too short and low around one of my toes. I simply heated them and pushed from inside with the head of a srewdriver to widen the toe section. After that I heated them again and wore a pair very thick wintersocks and put in the blue Specialized innersole (which is much thicker than the original). This was enough to widen them fit my feet perfectly.

Now with the normal Specialized inner sole and thin summer/race socks they fit perfectly. Out of the box I nearly couldn't get my feet into them and after the first heating I could only ride them for 10 min.

But after a lot of heating they now fit like they were molded on my feet. They are still not comfortable soft like my S-Works. I see them as a race shoe. They are like molded on your feet and effective as hell. No power gets lost. A little bit like a comparing normal car with a formula one car.

But I admit they require a lot of patience so for people that say they are crappy after one "heating session" I would advice them to be more patient.
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

At least in f1 there's a reason for being horribly uncomfortable with potentially the worst ride quality in motor racing... It comes with massive performance gain.

Shoes that feel horrible and you only want to ride them part time but that don't give you a measurable benefit are just bad shoes...

timzcat

by timzcat

To date I have tried a variety of Shimanos and the top of the line S-works and always had pain in the ball of my foot.
It's as if the issue is sole flex. With the Bonts I have completely cured the issue. They may not be the most confortable shoe but in comparison to pain I will take it.

Giant DK

by Giant DK

CharlesM wrote:Shoes that feel horrible and you only want to ride them part time but that don't give you a measurable benefit are just bad shoes...

Ok, mayby you misunderstood me. I could ride these Bont shoes day in and day out but like I said they are not comfortable soft like most other shoes. This means that if a shoes doesn't fit well it will feel uncomfortable because there are not much softness to make up a bad fit. But if they fit they feel crazy effective and comfy in the way that they fit your feet like a glove.
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Probably all we are saying is feet are different, but I found the Bont really confortable even though its clear they are much firmer and more enveloping than others, fe the Shimno 300s and Sidis Ive had before
Think also molding is a great way of reliving a pressure point but dont assume it will make the shoe suddely fit totally differently..
Probably a dealers nightmare, but the CTT models (last years? 2010?) can be had from a chap in Hong Hong via "the auction site whos name shall never be spoken" for 75 to 150 Euros!

Guy

by Guy

As you can see from the image below, I am at the limit of my Shimano cleat adjustability but need to move it further forward (probably by only a few mm).

Has anybody redrilled the cleat mounts on their Bonts? Were the cleat nuts/threads easy to remove and reposition?

Or should I look at doing something with the cleat itself eg. smaller headed bolts with a suitable washer?

Dov

by Dov

Get new legs. Drilling the Bonts seems a bit drastic.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

claus

by claus

I drilled new holes in my Bonts to move them closer to the crank. I didn't encounter any problems -- I asked on a Bont forum and got an "OK" from Bont.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I drilled mine to put the aerolite cleats on. I just drilled directly into the carbon sole. I didn't bother removing the inserts.

Guy

by Guy

gumgardner wrote:I drilled mine to put the aerolite cleats on. I just drilled directly into the carbon sole. I didn't bother removing the inserts.

Do you mean you left the old inserts where they were and inserted another set in the new position?

Guy

by Guy

Dov wrote:Get new legs. Drilling the Bonts seems a bit drastic.

Thanks. Very useful.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Guy wrote:
gumgardner wrote:I drilled mine to put the aerolite cleats on. I just drilled directly into the carbon sole. I didn't bother removing the inserts.

Do you mean you left the old inserts where they were and inserted another set in the new position?

Yes and no. I left the old inserts where they were and just used a sharp screw and drilled it directly into the carbon sole. I didn't use an insert with the sharp screw. It holds perfectly.

Guy

by Guy

gumgardner wrote:
Guy wrote:

Yes and no. I left the old inserts where they were and just used a sharp screw and drilled it directly into the carbon sole. I didn't use an insert with the sharp screw. It holds perfectly.

Ah right, cheers. But you got rid of your Bonts quite soon didn't you? I'm just wondering about the longer-term security of the method you used.

Guy

by Guy

claus wrote:I drilled new holes in my Bonts to move them closer to the crank. I didn't encounter any problems -- I asked on a Bont forum and got an "OK" from Bont.

Thanks. Were the threaded inserts easy to remove? Did you use anything on them (eg. Loctite) after repositioning?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Guy wrote:
gumgardner wrote:
Guy wrote:

Ah right, cheers. But you got rid of your Bonts quite soon didn't you? I'm just wondering about the longer-term security of the method you used.

The Bonts were so uncomfortable. I'm going to do the same thing with my Sidis though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com