Input needed on training plan

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I have never done a proper training plan for ride, so bear with me and educate me along the way. I have read the Powermeter book by Coggan, but still reading it again for a second time.

I am doing a century in 8 weeks exactly with 13000+ feet of climbing. I currently live and train in south FL, so no mountains or even hills to train on. 100% flat roads, but windy most times. I do have a power meter and my measured FTP as of last week in about 230. I know I can finish the ride, but I want to do it in a decent time for myself (whatever that is) without breaking any records. So, here is my self made training plan. Please critique it to death and add or subtract anything you think would be helpful.

Sunday: Long ride of 4.5 hr at 70-80% FTP
Monday: no ride or recovery 1 hr ride at 50-60%FTP
Tuesday: 2x20 min at FTP and 1 Hr at 80% FTP. Will try 3x20 min at FTP during weeks 6+7.
wed: 1 hr at FTP
thursday: recovery 1 hr at 50-65 FTP
Friday: 3x10 min FTP plus 1 hr at 80% FTP
Saturday:3-4 hr ride at <80% FTP
Week 8: no intervals. Easier rides 1-3 hr.

I certainly want to get stronger and faster at the same time even though I am going to pace myself during the actual ride. My main questions are:

1. Will this plan make me stronger while climbing? If not how should I alter it to make me stronger on the climbing portion specially.
2. Does this seem reasonable for an 8 week plan? If not, suggestions?
3. Any suggestions to modify this particular plan?

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

That's a terrific amount of climbing in 100 miles, what century is that?

No comment on the training plan... I think the most important is to pace the climbs and not burn too many matches early on.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Blood, gears, and Sweat in NC. June 2012.

phourgenres

by phourgenres

If you're used to cycling a lot of miles per week already, I would say it is a good training plan. If you're not, I would say you're setting yourself up for overtraining. Three days you're working at your FTP, and another two back to back long rides?

On another note, I didn't realize NC had another ride this summer full of lots of climbing. I thought the Assault on Mt. Mitchell and Carolinas were it. I'm actually feeling kind of lucky to be an NC resident right now.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Regularly ride 150-200 miles/week