Cervelo 51cm S5 VWD 12.96 lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

hetchins68

by hetchins68

:thumbup: :beerchug:

nigel379

by nigel379

Amazing bike! The frame weight is impressive too, even for a 51cm. Great build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fordred

by fordred

The frame still looks ugly on it's own but the bike as a whole looks very nice.

Please leave the LW decals on. Adds so much to the blingness.

em3

by em3

Might as well add to the already compounding comments on tire choice, Gatorskins on $6K carbon spoked dream wheels...really?? Is this a joke...an attempt at irony? :)

I don't get it.
EM3

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Well I was thinking the same until February this year, when I visited a certain place in the middle of the dessert where everything had thorns on it. Flated on ride 1, and 3, double flated on 4, another flat the next day and one last one on the way to the bikeshop where I picked up more tubes and gatorskins. No more flats after that.

The double flat was a huge pot hole in a group ride. All the others I actually pulled a thorn or piece of glass out of my tires.

There's faster and nicer tires, but only if you ignore the time spent changing flats.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

sedluk

by sedluk

I build my bikes to ride. I take a nice picture of them before they get dirty, while this bike may look nice it is built to ride and ride hard. The week before last we got a nice group together and agreed on a 112 mile route with over 10,000 ft of climbing and it was windy. We agree on a route so that if someone can’t keep up they know the way back. We like to ride hard and we are not really interested in waiting at the top of every hill so that stragglers can re-join the group.

We like to ride together and we want to ride together but we expect the other guys to work hard and keep up. We also expect people to have their bikes in perfect working condition.

Our favorite routes are out in Amish country in Central/Eastern Ohio or in an area called Hocking Hills. In many of these areas you will not find AT&T cell phone service. If you think about it, it makes sense. Not too many Amish need a cell phone. The roads have few cars and we love it. On Sundays we often see more buggies than cars. Sometimes they will be joined by guys on horseback, just strolling down the road. I think it is cool when they ride draft horses, the guys who like plush tires should try riding a draft horse.

The roads are generally in pretty good condition, but you will find an interesting rut called a buggy rut. It is where the buggies have worn grooves in the roads. We also occasionally will travel over some packed gravel roads. We try to avoid them but it happens.

On that 112 mile ride we came across a short segment of packed gravel, unfortunately it had rained the night before and it was pretty hilly. Two of the guys made the mistake of unclipping and they got mud in their cleats ect… We waited for a short time but the group moved on and these two guys were not seen for hours until the finish. That is just the way we roll.

I carry a spare tubular for the rare case of getting a flat. And you can usually find a truck or a buggy to give you a lift to the nearest town if needed.

We could choose to do all our riding in suburbs and wait for anyone who has a flat or malfunction or who is feeling a little tired. And I am not saying that we will never stop for someone who has a flat, we do. And we call out potholes, cars, buggies, dogs, deer and we take care of each other. We give each other gel, water, money and advice if needed. But don’t show up with a tire with threads hanging out of it or some supple plush velvety ride tire and expect us to wait every time.

Our kind of riding is not for everyone, we get some who love it and some who never join us again.

yeaitsdave

by yeaitsdave

I'm gonna agree with the mum feel on the S5, but this is a truly impressive build. I'm sure it absolutely rips..

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Beautiful as usual with all your bikes. I hope to see this one in person some day. I'm from Ohio, and we've raced together before. Also welcome to the sub 13lbs aero club. It's you, BMANX, and myself. ;)

natiedean24

by natiedean24

Great bike! Ride report on those wheels, please!

If there is one universal polarizing element of WW, it's the use of continental tubulars. It's just tires - they are replaceable.

billspreston

by billspreston

So you go out on a 112 mile group ride and a couple guys got mud in their cleats so you left them to ride solo for hours in Amish country with no cell service? I'm sure those 2 had a really high opinion of the group!

Why not just race?

It's a beautiful bike and build.

dchesrown

by dchesrown

billspreston wrote:So you go out on a 112 mile group ride and a couple guys got mud in their cleats so you left them to ride solo for hours in Amish country with no cell service? I'm sure those 2 had a really high opinion of the group!

Why not just race?

It's a beautiful bike and build.

I was one of the guys left behind. I knew the way home and made it ( it did suck that there were 25 mph headwinds for 40 miles and only 2 of us to share the work). Did the same ride a week later only I requested that we skip the gravel road section :| . I run Gatorskins on my RZR's also got some greif when I posted my bike on WW as well. Last year rode over 8500 miles, replaced quite a few rear gatorskins becuase they were wearing out. Only one flat, all year. Just used my fix a flat and made the 25 mile ride home no problem.

sedluk

by sedluk

Most of the guys who choose to ride with us eventually switch over to Tubular Gatorskins after getting dropped a few times in the middle of Amish country with no cell phone service. And remember they don't have any house phones either, so you can't just walk up and ask to use the phone.

Best not to get dropped, but if you do at least you are riding on Tubular Gatorskins and will be able to ride back.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

You guys going to Zanesfield this Sunday for the OSRS race?

sedluk

by sedluk

I am signed up but if something better comes along I would pass on the race. Field sprints on flat courses is not really my thing. I much prefer races that have enough hills to break up the field.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I am racing at RATL the next few weeks.