Slickest saddlebag alternative, components and weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zitter

by Zitter

or you can get this for 1/5 the price

http://www.lezyne.com/organizers#panel-7

i usually use two of them, one for phone, wallet, keys and another for repair kit, but I just got the Arundel saddle bag so I only need one now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fordred

by fordred

I use the continental saddle bag which is just big enough for a tube and 2 levers.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=59409

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Re: organizers for carrying in jersey pockets

I've had pretty good luck with plastic bags and a few rubber bands. Those keep stuff organized, clean, dry, and can be used as structural elements in case of emergency. And free with fruit and/or veg.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Most stylish = Rapha Seat Pack
Most compact = Arundel Uno

When I run clinchers I use an Uno - it's so small it's barely visible. On a long ride I'll run the Rapha seat pack so I can carry 2 tubes and a better multi-tool. Whatever ride I'm doing I also have a Rapha Essentials Case to carry a few other bits.

FWIW, I've also been able to roll up a pre-glued 22mm Schwalbe Milano tubular to fit in the Rapha Seat Pack without too much effort, which makes it no bigger than if I were running a large saddle bag (and MUCH smaller than the Arundel tubular bag).

JTKK

by JTKK

Rich-Ti wrote:Most stylish = Rapha Seat Pack
Most compact = Arundel Uno

When I run clinchers I use an Uno - it's so small it's barely visible. On a long ride I'll run the Rapha seat pack so I can carry 2 tubes and a better multi-tool. Whatever ride I'm doing I also have a Rapha Essentials Case to carry a few other bits.

FWIW, I've also been able to roll up a pre-glued 22mm Schwalbe Milano tubular to fit in the Rapha Seat Pack without too much effort, which makes it no bigger than if I were running a large saddle bag (and MUCH smaller than the Arundel tubular bag).

Thanks for the good info Rich.
Do you have any pics of the Rapha Seat Pack installed with tubular?

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Yes, good info.

One question, though. As someone posted above, some small saddlebags are functionally wide enough, either the bag or the Velcro straps, to brush against inside thighs when riding. My small Specialized bag ate through a pair of shorts that way before I noticed. How is the Arundel or others in that respect?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

JTKK wrote:Do you have any pics of the Rapha Seat Pack installed with tubular?

I'll try and sort some this week.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Here we go then - pre-glued Schwalbe Milano 22c tyre rolled, taped and then rolled up into a Rapha Seat Pack:
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335700017.885222.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335700049.199456.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335700071.575015.jpg
Last edited by RichTheRoadie on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Oh, and this bit...
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335700181.314352.jpg
Last edited by RichTheRoadie on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SL58

by SL58

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

The microfiber "holdy bag" looks like a well made alternative to the ugly [and heavy] plastic bottle holder thingie I have in my parts bin...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

JTKK

by JTKK

Thanks BikeTart for posting pics of Rapha seat pack. Is there still room for a multitool and few C02 cartridges?
I also have Komm-Vor+ saddle and also Schwalbe milano spare tubular so that is pretty good option then. Does it stay under the saddle so it does not ruin the shorts?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

There's still room for a multi-tool and CO2, but it'll obviously make the rolled up pack bigger.

You'd need to be careful on the orientation and placement of the pack to avoid your shorts rubbing, but it's no bigger than a large saddle bag when the tub is rolled up like that. I actually think it will go in lots of smaller saddle bags like that too.

I was only trying the Rapha Seat Pack as an experiment - I'm actually using a Lezyne pouch in my jersey pocket and the tub, CO2 inflator, 2 CO2 canisters, lip balm, multi-tool and money also fit quite comfortably.

fpmesiIII

by fpmesiIII

all you need is a

and a jersey pocket...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bones

by bones

SL58 wrote:Check out some Ratio designs:

http://www.ratiobikedesign.com/website/ ... Itemid=478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good find. These guys have some cool stuff!