Disc brakes road bikes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Irish

by Irish

Have to agree with bones in that disc brakes are going to be the future in road bikes. I think campagnolo will have a cable opperated system for next year as do shimano, not sure if srams hydraulic system will be ready for big descents in 2013 . If it is they could see themselves become market leaders in the high end road sector.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

airwise

by airwise

slyboots wrote:
PS. climbing at 40 rpm for 13 minutes - you must be tough. :thumbup:

Ha :D

Far from it. There's just a damned good cafe at the top. I would have been bloody grateful of some disc brakes on the way down though. My rims were cooking.

bones

by bones

lordconqueror wrote:Formula Di2 Hydro Levers for Sven Nys

Also,

Great article. Impressive that pro CX riders are even clamoring for disc brakes now too. I guess the people opposed to disc brakes can't keep saying that only Freds want disc brakes.

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

but BikeRadar didn't like the brakes, or the shifters, for that matter.

I forget which website had closeups of the electronic buttons for the formula levers, but the were just tiny things that the shift levers pressed on to activate the button - they look like they'd be easy to fill with mud and damage in a 'cross race.

another interesting thing i read here this week (i think on cxmagazine.com?) regarding discs was related to Belgian Ben Bearden saying that Tim Johnson of the Cannondale team was able to come really hot into corners on his disc bike in a cross races (or races? man, i'm on a roll today), faster than Bearden could manage on his canti equipped bike. Now, this may be just an issue of a riders ability to control their bikes, but I bet for a certain set of riders who are used to riding discs they'd be great in 'cross too.

I'm sure it's been mentioned on here already, but I'm sure that if/when discs start to filter into road racing, we'll see a similar change in braking habits.

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

Yes but they're quick to point out that it's a pre-production prototype so really the only thing conclusive that we can draw from this is that a working prototype exists.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted quote. PP
I'm so rubbish at this.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Apparently this this is what the SRAM Red calliper is going to look like, even though this is off a Mtb...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-04-25 at 11.20.39 PM.png

bones

by bones

Wingnut wrote:Apparently this this is what the SRAM Red calliper is going to look like, even though this is off a Mtb...

Look like what? You can hardly even see anything there. What a terrible picture. It was probably taken by SRAM and distributed through forums like these to build up hype. Think about it. If some regular joe was at a bike race and spotted something cool, like this, that he wanted to show everyone he would take more than one picture, and a better one at that.

This picture, you can't even tell if that is a front fork, or rear triangle. Where is the bike? This is just another SRAM distributed picture that doesn't show a lot of detail, all to build up hype.

mgordon

by mgordon

bones wrote:
Wingnut wrote:Apparently this this is what the SRAM Red calliper is going to look like, even though this is off a Mtb...

Look like what? You can hardly even see anything there. What a terrible picture. It was probably taken by SRAM and distributed through forums like these to build up hype. Think about it. If some regular joe was at a bike race and spotted something cool, like this, that he wanted to show everyone he would take more than one picture, and a better one at that.

This picture, you can't even tell if that is a front fork, or rear triangle. Where is the bike? This is just another SRAM distributed picture that doesn't show a lot of detail, all to build up hype.

Calm yourself... It's not a SRAM picture, and there are lots more angles here...
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... pes-33806/

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Yes...chill out bones...

ms6073

by ms6073

lordconqueror wrote:Tim Johnson... was able to come really hot into corners on his disc bike in a cross race (or races? man, i'm on a roll today), faster than Bearden could manage on his canti equipped bike.
While not a direct comparison, this past season I noted quite a few racing cx on 29'ers with hydraulic disc brakes and cx tires (some with wider mtb tires). While the cx bikes typically had the advantage with quicker acclerations and top end, on many courses the guys on 29ers would hold off braking much, much later than those of us with canti's which gave them an advantage on exit as those of us with canti's had to dig a little bit harder out of the corners.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

fordred

by fordred

Disc brakes are a maintenance headache... Rotor rubs are common and difficult to eliminate (at least for my XT 4 pod hydraulic) and if u think current rim brakes make bad screeching sounds, wait till u hear it from disc brakes.

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

fordred wrote:Disc brakes are a maintenance headache... Rotor rubs are common and difficult to eliminate (at least for my XT 4 pod hydraulic) and if u think current rim brakes make bad screeching sounds, wait till u hear it from disc brakes.

Between a decent alignment and keeping the rotors straight, I've never had any problems. Having a rotor bending tool (which is just a handle with a long slot in it) makes all the difference. As for the noise, nothing is worse than a screechy carbon rim imho.
I'm so rubbish at this.

Arky

by Arky

We still are not concerned about heel clearance on our (currently) great endurance machines are we?

Has anyone done a over 100mi on a road bike with MTB spacing in the rear?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

Arky wrote:We still are not concerned about heel clearance on our (currently) great endurance machines are we?

Has anyone done a over 100mi on a road bike with MTB spacing in the rear?

I still don't see why people keep bringing this up seeing as there's plenty of disk road bikes out there with no problems:
Like this: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/a ... %2Farticle

And this: http://www.cycleexif.com/independent-fabrications-2

Perhaps this: http://lh4.ggpht.com/-wVB0_fBPkFs/T3zMb ... 205260.jpg

And this: http://www.calfeedesign.com/wp-content/ ... -11-04.jpg

Or maybe this: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0w9t ... 1_1280.jpg

Why not this: http://volagi.com/
I'm so rubbish at this.