Lynskey R330 Build - Complete - photos starting on pg 4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

poully

by poully

This is looking really sweet and I can't wait until Monday. Hope the postie's on time....looking forward to seeing the finished build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nspace

by nspace

Saddle and lightweight tubes have been sitting in the postal facility 5 minutes from my house for the last 4 days, so I have faith it will finally get delivered tomorrow.

Only other thing I am waiting on is bottle cages, but I have faith those will also come early this week. Soon as I have everything I will photograph. With any luck, maybe Tuesday.
Also have to finish playing around where the cables exit the hoods. I am getting a little bump there. From reading here I understand you really need to tape the cables flat right where they exit? I am going to give that a try.

nachtjager

by nachtjager

so keen to see this!

Unfortunately my frame/fork is sitting unloved in a DHL warehousethey are very sheepishly looking for it.

totally keen to build her up and feel the titanium zing!

natiedean24

by natiedean24

Any build that starts with a picture of a naked Ti frame with boxes of new Campy parts is A.OK by me!

BmanX

by BmanX

But the picture would be better with Sram customized without all the crappy graphics.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Wingnut

by Wingnut

A high quality frame like that needs high quality parts...stick with Campy... :wink:

nspace

by nspace

So it's all built up. The saddle tubes, and cages finally arrived. Got it all built up and going for a shake down ride to fine tune and dial things in. My mistake, I ordered tubes with valve stems that were far too long (out of paranoia—had a pump that had a hard time connecting to short valves and decided to error on the side of caution).

I just shot a few photos in the studio at work. No time to process the rest but thought I would post a really quick one up of the complete build. More detail shots to come later. I don't have my hanging scale here but I will get a final weight shortly. I anticipate it will be around 15.6 lbs or so.

More shots to come later!
Last edited by nspace on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Well done!
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

nspace

by nspace

Thanks!

Couple more shots:

nspace

by nspace

Next up, outdoor shots hopefully.

I did my first ride on the bike after work last night. I only had a small window to ride by the time I made a few adjustments, setup my cleats and got out there so I won't do a full blown report until I get in a couple longer rides.

Condensed first impressions:

- the Tune GumGum doesn't seem very great. I haven't had any luck with this so far. This came with my headset thankfully, but had I spent the money on this separately, I would've been disappointed. It slips, and I was unable to remove the play from the front end. Doesn't take much for the 3mm top cap bolt to get scoffed up either. I ended up using the porky Enve expander to lock things down and then replaced it with the Tune.

- The bike feels fast, and smooth. My Ti mountain bike is a lot more flexy, I wasn't sure how this would compare in terms of stiffness. It felt stiff but with a hair of give; definitely not harsh. It was a great example that some of the generalizations make about frame materials are completely inaccurate. The design of the frame makes all the difference.

- Frame fit felt great so far.

- This was my first ride ever on Speedplays. Clipping in for the first time was a bit weird, but once I got in once, it was dead easy. I know people either love or hate the feel, but probably after 2 short climbs I was in love with the way they felt. I suspect my knees are going to like these pedals very much. Of course I haven't slipped on a tiled floor, or got my cleats clogged up with debris yet, so I could still hate the, but so far so good :)

- Engagement on the King 45's is great. Hubs are super smooth. They sound so sweet and smooth!

- Shifting was flawless. Love the way the shifting felt at the lever (This is my first bike with Campagnolo). Brakes felt like they had awesome modulation, and power.

- Tires felt great. I ran them at 110 psi, but I think I could even go down to 100 for a little extra comfort.

- Ergonova's felt good. Loved the compact drop. I still need to do a slight adjustment of the bar angle and transition into the lever hoods.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

good to see another campy convert and on a Ti frame to boot! I also have to agree that campy has the best feeling shifting.

I really like the way the Enve fork looks with it, very clean. I'm getting tired of looking at my Alpha Q.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

foofighter14

by foofighter14

which kurve is that? and how do you like it?

nspace

by nspace

It is the Kurve Snake. I have a bunch more photos if you want me to post.

So far so good. I have come from years using the Arione/Arione CX, so the shape is very similar. It wasn't as "soft" or as flexible as I was hoping for, BUT, I also read that a few people who used this saddle needed a few rides to work it in a little. That is to say, it wasn't uncomfortable, very similar to Arione, but not 100% what I expected. As I get more miles in I will do a longer term review on my experience with the Kurve.

Hope that helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

nspace wrote:Thanks!

Couple more shots:

Sheesh, that's a nice looking hub. Did you build the wheels or did you have them built up? This may be getting a bit technical but I notice you have the rear "pulling" spokes laced heads in then interlaced under the crossing spoke by the derailleur. When the rear derailleur is on the big sprocket I'm wondering how much clearance you have between the derailleur cage and the spokes. I just built up a set of traditional 3x wheels using Record hubs and Nemesis rims with DT Comp spokes (which are of coursre thicker than your flat CX Rays), but I wanted to test how much clearance there would be with the 11 speed Campy. I built it up, slapped on a cassette and put it in my C59. The clearance was just too small for my liking and I got to thinking that a hard effort up a hill or in a sprint may just be enough to pull the crossed spoke into the derailleur. I mulled it over for a few minutes then decided it wasn't worth it to find out and rebuilt the wheel with the pulling spokes heads out to avoid this. Gave it a bit more clearance and piece of mind for me. I was also considering using the new CK campy hubs for this build, but it's kind of a classic so I went with Campy Record.

Love your photos by the way, very detailed.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ