Looking for Feedback on on ENVE 3.4's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

Hi, I haven't been able to find any solid reviews on the Enve 3.4's tubular or otherwise. So, looking for some reviews/feedback from weight weenies members.

Considering a build on Tune Mig/Mag 70/170 which should get the weight around ~1200g. These would be my race wheels, and as such, I'm looking for something that climbs really well, and is reasonably aero. I've been using a pair of 1.65's for several seasons, and have been happy with how light (~1250g) and stiff they are.

Also interested in hearing how people think they compair to wheels in their class - 303 firecrest, Stinger 4's, etc..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

I've used a set of 3.4s w/ Tune 70/170 hubs and CX-ray spokes as my daily wheels for the past 6 months. Very pleased. I'm 156 lbs and don't race or TT so I don't stress the wheelset as much as many younger/stronger WWs. I've had no issues with stiffness, etc. when out-of-the-saddle or climbing hills some of which go up to 20%. The only other wheelset I can compare them to was Reynolds MV32ULs w/the earlier version of Tune 70/170 hubs. IME the ENVEs are a bit 'faster' and certainly less affected by cross winds, and I can't say I notice a difference in climbing despite the 3.4s being >100 grams heavier than the MV32s.
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

Lawfarm

by Lawfarm

I've posted a few times on here about my new 3.4s, but they're clinchers. I assume you're only looking tubeless, based on your post...

fordred

by fordred

Do consider 303s.
Zipp's rims are more aero and it handled cross winds much much better than V shape rims.
I was sold when I felt the difference between my 303s and DV46, which essentially had the same rim depth.
Zipps's current rims are also very strong and durable.

boysa

by boysa

fordred wrote:Do consider 303s.
Zipp's rims are more aero and it handled cross winds much much better than V shape rims.

The Enve 3.4 are not V shaped rims. In fact, the shape of the Enve are very similar to the Zipp Firecrest. I think the two wheelsets are very comparable, and the choice between the two would come down to certain nuances: customer service, warranty, crash replacement, nipple placement...

FWIW, you could probably flip a coin between the two and never look back. I have a set 1.45F/1.65R, and although they are light, snappy and super-responsive, I wouldn't mind the Smart system for its wind-handling characteristics.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

fiti

by fiti

In the latest Tour magazine there is a test of allround wheelsets. Test also include ENVE SES 3.4 tubular. They were almost the worst in test due to a braking performance, stiffness and aerodynamics. They were quite well in acceleration and weight.

I must say that I'm quite unpleasant suprised, especially about results of braking performance, stiffness and aerodynamics.

Somebody allready post some scans of tout test in "cycle chat" section.

Any thoughts?

Well, I will get my Enve 3.4, built with Tune mig45/mag150 hubs next week and see how they will perform.
fiti

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Surprising test results given my experience w/ the 3.4's braking, which is noticeably better than my prior Reynolds MV32s and Fulcrum Racing Lights. I have ee brakes and use Enve brake pads on my 3.4s. IME this set-up works as smoothly, predictably and w/as much power & modulation as I have experienced with clincher rims using DA-7900 calipers. And I can't tell any difference in performance when I switch to my Stan's Alpha 340s. But, again, I don't race or TT w/ either wheelset nor have I ridden them in rain.
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

Ghost234

by Ghost234

fiti wrote:In the latest Tour magazine there is a test of allround wheelsets. Test also include ENVE SES 3.4 tubular. They were almost the worst in test due to a braking performance, stiffness and aerodynamics. They were quite well in acceleration and weight.

I must say that I'm quite unpleasant suprised, especially about results of braking performance, stiffness and aerodynamics.

Somebody allready post some scans of tout test in "cycle chat" section.

Any thoughts?

Well, I will get my Enve 3.4, built with Tune mig45/mag150 hubs next week and see how they will perform.

Stiffness? really? Enve is one of the only wheels out there that you can run extremely high spoke tension without compromising the wheel. If anything Enve rims on DT or Dura ace hubs would be one of the stiffest wheels that you can buy. If you run a similar spoke tension on a zipp you would break the rim.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Edge/ENVE have a little bit of a history of not doing as well in Tour (and Bike, Tour's MTB sister magazine), as you'd think. One time they were sent a wheel which was laced up wrong, so it might have to do with the German distributor, I don't know.

The results in Tour magazine should be taken with a grain of salt, if you haven't read the text, too. This time they tested the wheels with a myriad of different tires from 22 to 27mm and the wheels were a mix of tubs and clinchers. A comparison is pretty much worthless, IME.

The braking comments are a complete riddle to me, too. I've ridden 2 pairs of Edge and 3 pairs of ENVE wheels, and one pair of Edge wheels has an ever so slight pulse to it, which is amplified with sloppyly adjusted brakes. That was one of the first 1.38 tubulars they made. The other 4 sets were perfect.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

Arky

by Arky

Not sure what spoke tension has to do with wheel stiffness (see young's modulus).

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

The braking is totally a mystery for me, too. I have had most carbon wheels at some point, and the Smart wheels are the best braking carbon wheels I've tried. Also noticeably better than the "old" ENVE rims.

As for the stiffness, it's surely the DT hubs that's to blame. I have two sets of Smart wheels. One on DT, one on Chris King hubs. The latter being a lot stiffer.

The aero test is a puzzle to me. The Campy Eurus scoring better that most wheels in the entire test - really? :roll:

jrobart

by jrobart

I'm six weeks in to my 3.4s (build up with Chris King R45 hubs). Having ridden 303s tubulars for the last year or so, I must say the I'm really pleased with the 3.4s. I'm surprised by the Tour Mag stiffness results as this is the exact opposite from my experience. I find the 3.4s stiffer than the 303s and as a result a bit quicker for me (I'm 183 lbs so I definitely can feel the benefit of the stiffness when I get out of the saddle).
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Like others, I've also had no issues with stiffness, braking or crosswinds with the 3.4's. And that's with DT240 hubs. So the Tour results are really a big mystery to me too.

Found they spun up as expected, nice and quick. And did an excellent job racing through some heavy crosswinds, complete with a lot of gutterball action.

I'm sure the 303 is also a great wheel, however can only go by my experiences and the 3.4's were tip top.

Oh and I'm 185cm/76kgs. So no lightweight that's for sure.

fordred wrote:Zipp's rims are more aero and it handled cross winds much much better than V shape rims.

:doh:

beardking

by beardking

do all you guys race on the 3.4's and the 303s you mentioned?
I've been thinking of getting he'd stinger 4's for race wheels but wondering if they're deep enough. I can only afford one set of wheels and do a mix of flat and hilly races

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

What else would I use them for? :lol:

Although, I suppose coffee shop cred points and the Saturday bunch sprint win are important for some people :smartass:

But seriously, you could do worse than either 3.4's or 303's for a one only set of race wheels.