Pegoretti Duende new build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Carvers

by Carvers

It's not a full WW as yet, coming in at 8.4kg still :oops: but it is still the finest bike I have ever had the pleasure to build and or ride!

It happened over a beer with Rich-Ti just before he headed to Oz. I was looking to sell my Cotic Soda to help fund a new road build and he was hoping to sell the Peg before he set sail. Didn't take long for me to decide! :beerchug:

So with the swap done, I set about building her up as seemed best, Campag being the only possible choice of course :D Build list is as follows:

F&F: Pegoretti Duende 56cm in ABVD finish
Headset: CK Sotto Voce
Shifters: Campagnolo Super Record 11s
FD: Campagnolo Super Record 11s
RD: Campagnolo Record 11s
Calipers: Campagnolo C-Record
Chainset: Rotor 3D 175mm with FSA 11s chainrings
BB: Token
Wheels: Mavic Ksyrium SLR (plus Open Pros on Campag hubs for our current April weather!)
Cassette: Campagnolo Chorus (but has a Miche 11s on currently given how wet and horrible it's been)
Bar: 3T Ergonova Pro
Stem: USE Race 110mm
Seatpost: USE Alien carbon
Saddle: Fizik Arione Vs

Thrilled to bits with how she rides, by far the best climber I've had (vs SystemSix and CAAD9) and she rolls along the flat about as well as I could have ever hoped. No comments just yet re the cables please...still need to finish that off properly (before I get BikeTart critiqued too harshly!)

Sadly she will have to go shortly though, as it's a bit too much of a luxury for me right now - and I managed to time my decision to make the swap with Rich-Ti at the same time that I signed up with my work Cyclescheme so I now have a voucher sat awaiting yet another new build! If anyone knows of a prospective size 56cm Peg purchaser then please point them in my direction!

Pics as below, will get some outdoor ones up here soon too...

Cheers
Kieran

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stefano

by Stefano

Awesome, love the brakes. Don't like rotor graphics though, especially on such a classy machine. Also, full side shot please!!

Stefano

em3

by em3

Nice looking ride, but your cables and tape job are a mess.
EM3

EDIT: whoops....just saw your cable disclaimer :)

kgt

by kgt

I would prefer a Campagnolo crankset.

Carvers

by Carvers

Yep, cables and tape will get attention asap as it does detract!

As for the Rotors, I agree in part as full Campag is ideal, it's just that I had these from a previous build so thought I'd try them out as they were to hand (not a "bad" compromise in all honesty as they are fantastic)

Here are some side shots in it's "poor-wheel" guise (apols as only iPhone for now....and not sure what was going on with saddle height in the first!)

mrfish

by mrfish

Don't be dumb. Sell the cycle to work voucher or the bike to someone else. Or ride the C2W bike to work only. Keep this, you'd be lucky to get an aluminium Boarman with 105 on the C2W scheme for under a grand.

I think most people realise that the C2W scheme is a green fig leaf scheme which basically gives higher rate tax payers GBP 500 per year, rather than promoting bike ownership amongst people who can least afford it. Good for the bike industry, but really just another badly designed government intervention.

Carvers

by Carvers

mrfish wrote:Don't be dumb. Sell the cycle to work voucher or the bike to someone else. Or ride the C2W bike to work only. Keep this, you'd be lucky to get an aluminium Boarman with 105 on the C2W scheme for under a grand.

I think most people realise that the C2W scheme is a green fig leaf scheme which basically gives higher rate tax payers GBP 500 per year, rather than promoting bike ownership amongst people who can least afford it. Good for the bike industry, but really just another badly designed government intervention.

Sorry, should have explained what I'm planning on getting :wink: This is the 2nd time I'll have done Cyclescheme (last time was a Condor Italia, 3 years ago) and this time I'm again intending to spend more than the actual cheque (which is just a helping hand in the process, as it both spreads the cost and acts as a slight tax break....which is incentive enough for me!).

I am down to 2 potential contenders (and am already heavily swung to one of them already)....a Condor Super Acciaio or a Pretorius Outeniqua (which I'm test riding tonight). So fear not, I am not switching from the Peg to any old bike :)

The opportunity to own this briefly - and get some rides in on it too - has been fantastic though and am glad that Rich and I had that chat over a beer to allow it to happen (good things happen when drinking beer!). The bike I'll get now will hopefully last me until I really REALLY deserve a Peg (or similar). Although from what I've seen of the Outeniqua so far, that will hopefully a bike-for-life anyway...and will just mean I get to prove the n+1 theory with the Mrs at some point down the line!

dcj9

by dcj9

quite like to see some decent side(ish) shots with the Mavic SLR if you can manage it :)
cheers

ticou

by ticou

Can't believe your getting rid of the Peg! My standard Accaio has the same drop out design, which is nice, but i'd never get rid of a Peg, ever.

andyindo

by andyindo

Carvers wrote:
mrfish wrote:Don't be dumb. Sell the cycle to work voucher or the bike to someone else. Or ride the C2W bike to work only. Keep this, you'd be lucky to get an aluminium Boarman with 105 on the C2W scheme for under a grand.

Sorry, should have explained what I'm planning on getting :wink: This is the 2nd time I'll have done Cyclescheme (last time was a Condor Italia, 3 years ago) and this time I'm again intending to spend more than the actual cheque (which is just a helping hand in the process, as it both spreads the cost and acts as a slight tax break....which is incentive enough for me!).

I am down to 2 potential contenders (and am already heavily swung to one of them already)....a Condor Super Acciaio or a Pretorius Outeniqua (which I'm test riding tonight). So fear not, I am not switching from the Peg to any old bike :)

The opportunity to own this briefly - and get some rides in on it too - has been fantastic though and am glad that Rich and I had that chat over a beer to allow it to happen (good things happen when drinking beer!). The bike I'll get now will hopefully last me until I really REALLY deserve a Peg (or similar). Although from what I've seen of the Outeniqua so far, that will hopefully a bike-for-life anyway...and will just mean I get to prove the n+1 theory with the Mrs at some point down the line!

Getting rid of a peg for a Condor or a generic Ti bike is absolulte madness. No disrespect to the other bikes but you're selling something thats:

a)Very hard to get
b)Has a heritage other brands could only dream of
c)Has a ride you already admit you enjoy

And theres no such thing as a bike for life. It doesnt exist. Any bike is 'for life'. Its just how long you'll be satisfied with it for, which wont be for life. Maybe 5-10 years. Then the itch for a new one will start again

Roobay

by Roobay

I remember when Rich 1st got this, he lusted after a Pegoretti, and this was brought over from the states from AC It has a striking and rare paint finish, he built it and comared to his baum i think he was slightly dissapointed
Fair enough its hard to get a demo on a Pegoretti, and you almost buy it blind, i was surprised when he decided to sell it, and actually thought about buying it myself, i own a Pegoretti Big Leg Emma, but then i thought, why buy that when i already own too many bikes as it is :noidea:
One thing i will say its a rare and sought after maker, you dont see them very often, and personally i would keep it over anything else i own, i can only suggest that the bike is built up with the components it deserves, make it happen
And enjoy it :thumbup:
Last edited by Roobay on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

Carvers

by Carvers

Thanks for the posts guys and I completely agree with all points. It sounds like complete madness I know!

But I never intended to keep it when Rich and I made the swap, it was only as a matter of convenience for us both as I was always going to sell the Cotic to make way for a new road build (via Cyclescheme)...so the swap for the Peg was only ever a collateral switch rather than an intention to own...sounds crass I know given the frame in question, but that's just the way it is sadly.

I can only have one bike in our teeny-tiny London flat + the fact I have a Cyclescheme voucher already and that has to be used aswell...that would = 2x bikes if I keep the Peg, so it's just a no go :(

And andyindo, I'm pleased to say that my test ride on the Pretorius Outeniqua was fantastic, so while I know I will lose out on the heritage front, I also genuinely believe that JC is on to something fantastic with what he's started there (both in customer servicing and quality terms), so am also keen to help to support a new(ish) and promising start-up...that just happens to be right down the road from my office too :)

I know that selling a Peg will seem like sheer lunacy, but in this instance it was more of a borrowed item than an owned one if you see what I mean. I know that will most likely not seem like sense at all...but it is what it is

K

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I tried to tell him... :wink: :lol:

Personally I really believe the Peg is the ideal bike here, and it looks awesome with those SLRs on it. Sure, it didn't work out for me, but it's tricky for any frame to live up to my Baum now quite frankly.

Still, I totally understand Kieran's intention when we did the swap, his needs with already having his voucher (which will cost him a chunk of his salary every month don't forget) and his desire for the Pretorius - JC has worked VERY hard to get his Pretorius range to where it is, and I believe anyone in the market for Ti who overlooks them is making a mistake.

Of course should there be the possibility for a frame to be kept lingering in that flat of yours Kieran, or if you happen to become 'too busy to advertise the Peg' *ahem* then there's worse things that can happen than you keeping hold of it... :wink:

(I actually think I should have built it back up as a complete bike and left it in the UK to use on return visits, but ce la vie!)

ticou

by ticou

Decide in haste, repent at leisure. Peggers won't be making frames for ever you know..

Carvers

by Carvers

Side-on pic as requested (only iPhone though)...and I know, I know, some faux pas' with valve caps not at 6o'clock, saddle at an odd angle (just a test on my part) etc etc...but you get the picture...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com