Sub 1000g wheelset for sub US$1000? - Ride report p12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Chiva

by Chiva

Hi Dan 520. I'll be racing in the Masters 40 category. Its gonna really hurt. I'll post a picture of my bike w/ the carbon wheels tonight. That way you can recognize me by my bike. Tour of the Gila should be tough as always. My team is really looking forward to it. :D

Chiva

Chiva

by Chiva

Here's the wheels. Here's the bike w/ my training wheels. The tubies are nice.

Chiva
Attachments
DSC02694.JPG
DSC02695.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ciclistarapdio

by ciclistarapdio

Whats the latest price for a 20mm tubu Pair?

Thanks

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I've got a pair of the Planet X 20mm carbon tubular rims for sale in the For Sale section. Both rims are 20 hole. $225.00 plus shipping.

Home:Ballyhoura

by Home:Ballyhoura

I've no experience building wheels, but work in a bike shop where my colleague will help me build up a set of 20mm Planet X Carbon Tubular rims (20/24) on BikeHubStore's UltraLight hubs.

I'm trying to source the parts myself so that all he has to do it build them, so I need to know the spoke lengths and ideally the best lacing pattern?

I put the details into a spoke length calculator (http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/) and got the following results.
Front spokes:
Rear spokes:

So what option will I go for based on that spoke length calculation, the shaded grey area shows radial if possible with the hub (is it possible with the hubs I am going to use), white is the preferred pattern, blue will work, and red is not recommended.

What have ye used and found ideal as I need to order spokes. And another question is Sapim CX ray or DT Aerolite?

Thanks in advance

clarkson

by clarkson

[quote="Home:Ballyhoura"

So what option will I go for based on that spoke length calculation, the shaded grey area shows radial if possible with the hub (is it possible with the hubs I am going to use), white is the preferred pattern, blue will work, and red is not recommended.

What have ye used and found ideal as I need to order spokes. And another question is Sapim CX ray or DT Aerolite?

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Yes you can lace those hubs radially. Spoke pattern is up to you and your preferred characteristics. I've built a set 2x ND and Radial DS. Terrific so far, but 2x/2x, 2x/1x both would have worked. Lots of people have done 2x DS, Radial ND.

Both spokes build nice wheels. Can't go wrong there.

Home:Ballyhoura

by Home:Ballyhoura

clarkson wrote:Spoke pattern is up to you and your preferred characteristics

Thanks for that. Is there anywhere that I could find out the caracteristics of each lacing pattern. If I told you I was 59kg, 171cm (5'7") and fancy this wheelset as a climbing wheelset for hill climbs and hilly races what would you recommend. I am not a specific sprinter but can do a fairly decent sprint all the same if that would have any bearing on my choice. Again, I really appreciate your help.

EDIT: Also considering this is a budget lightweight wheelset, with the tims only costing $280, the hubs $110, are Sapim CX ray or DT Aerolite spokes overkill for this build? Any other relatively light spokes that would be more cost effective for my needs? Thanks

clarkson

by clarkson

Home:Ballyhoura wrote:
clarkson wrote:Spoke pattern is up to you and your preferred characteristics

Thanks for that. Is there anywhere that I could find out the caracteristics of each lacing pattern. If I told you I was 59kg, 171cm (5'7") and fancy this wheelset as a climbing wheelset for hill climbs and hilly races what would you recommend. I am not a specific sprinter but can do a fairly decent sprint all the same if that would have any bearing on my choice. Again, I really appreciate your help.

EDIT: Also considering this is a budget lightweight wheelset, with the tims only costing $280, the hubs $110, are Sapim CX ray or DT Aerolite spokes overkill for this build? Any other relatively light spokes that would be more cost effective for my needs? Thanks

A central database would be lovely, but I haven't seen one... There is lots of info somewhere within this gargantuan thread. In principle radial spokes will resist lateral forces, and tangential spokes will handle torque from pedal and braking forces.

2x Non drive, 1x drive side (or radial) I found to work very well with the BHS hubs. 2x/2x resulted in very low ND spoke tension. Radial drive spokes allowed a significantly better balance between DS/ND.

For that build I used Sapim Laser spokes. 30% the cost of a CX-ray. You could even order them from Bikehubstore.

TCx

by TCx

Random question, where are people picking up the 20mm carbon tubular rims from? I've had a look on hong fu and the smallest they do is 38mm. Any guidance much appreciated.
Can you ever have to many bikes?

Miller

by Miller

Planet-X have them on sale for GBP80.
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/RIP ... carbon-rim

petal666

by petal666

I got mine from Far Sports except one broke during the build and they didn't want to know about it.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

TCx wrote:Random question, where are people picking up the 20mm carbon tubular rims from? I've had a look on hong fu and the smallest they do is 38mm. Any guidance much appreciated.

Archtek.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ddtung

by ddtung

unsolicited advertising deleted.

bmCube

by bmCube

I'm wondering if this wheelset is good for me. I want a light (sub +-1250 gram) and stiff clincher wheelset. My weight is 64kg.

rims: ztr 340 alpha: +- 350 gram each
front hub: M5 straight pull 24: 40gram
rear hub: M5 straight pull 28: 190 gram
spokes: sapim cx-ray: +- 190 gram
nipples: alu: +-10 gram

weight should be around 1195 gram

pic's:

any thoughts?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Those are quite sexy!
What is the asking price? Link/source?