DIY Carbon Hoods

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fallen86

by fallen86

This is a bit of a continuation of this thread started by Voodoojar: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want the whole detail on my shifter tuning adventure you can read about it on my blog here: http://www.the-climb.net/2012/03/sram-f ... rdown.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyways, I thought I'd share my little project as I haven't seen this done yet and I've been inspired by many projects on here.

I wanted a light weight hood that's strong, long lasting, and grippy. Basically It's a ghetto version of the BTP hoods. I've used carbon fabric as that's what i have but I'd imagine it working with any fabric to be honest. The rubber acts as the resin and supplies the tackiness and flex that's required. Unfortunately, the stuff isn't flexible enough to slip on and off so I had to use a tying method to install it. It feels great and should wear quite well.

I'll let the pictures do the talking as its quite simple to follow. (i couldn't be as concise with my process as it take a quick hand so I didn't have time to take pics of every step). Let me know if you have any questions.

mentok

by mentok

wow. lovely stuff. will have to keep this in mind if i ever damage my current hoods.

I actually really like the lacing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Ah, great to see some one tinkering again. Please keep up the good work. :up:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

pawnii

by pawnii

fantastic
:thumbup:
2012 Scott Foil Premium

cloudnine

by cloudnine

That's sweet! :wink:

EpicRide

by EpicRide

Beautiful - thank you for sharing :thumbup:
~ Men of steel need fibre ~

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

Would there be any way to forego the cloth/fiber and still dip while protecting the shift lever mechanisms?

Ex: Using a light spray tack adhesive (to keep the protective layer "stuck, but removable"), then one sheet of saran wrap (to protect the internals) or something, then dip into the rubber stuff and clip away at the unwanted materials...

P.S. OP: What is that garmin mount you are using?

fallen86

by fallen86

Thanks for the warm reception guys.

lalahsghost wrote:Would there be any way to forego the cloth/fiber and still dip while protecting the shift lever mechanisms?

Ex: Using a light spray tack adhesive (to keep the protective layer "stuck, but removable"), then one sheet of saran wrap (to protect the internals) or something, then dip into the rubber stuff and clip away at the unwanted materials...

P.S. OP: What is that garmin mount you are using?

Yea you can do that but in order to make it strong enough to be safely removable for assembly you'd need to make it rather thick and that might ruin your weight savings. I hope I've understood your question right, let me know if i've missed.

The garmin mount is my own, I plan on posting it here once I test it and arrive at a suitable design.

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

My idea, which I may to do a pair of Dia-Compe levers for experimentation would be to:

1.) Remove original hoods.
2.) Lightly spray lever bodies with spray-tack adhesive.
3.) Wrap lever with one layer of saran wrap.
4.) Spray with the Rubber Dip aerosol, and let dry. Repeat if necessary.
5.) Cut away excess.
6.) Done!

This way there is a MINIMUM amount of layering, and material, essentially preventing the gaping holes in the lever bodies to be exposed, while still giving a place to ?comfortably? grip.

It would be questionable if cable maintenance/replacement would be viable with such a minimum amount, without it warping or ripping.

Once they get grimey/gross/worn out, you would make an incision and remove the whole thing and start again. Would the weight savings of omitting the carbon fiber be worth it?

kregg

by kregg

Wow. Nice work. I'd like to do similar for my Wahoo iPhone case.
Tarmac SL3 S-Works 13.75lbs 6.24kg
Jamis Xenith Pro 16.1lbs 7.31kg

fallen86

by fallen86

In reply to lalahsghost, yes that would work great because the diacompe hoods dont need to be removed for installation. If you can figure out a way to not have to use saran wrap, the plastidip sticks well but also comes off very cleanly, so that might be a simpler and cleaner process.

in reply to kregg: It' should work out fine but the stuff is rather tacky and wont slide in and out of your pant pockets too well. unless you use a.. satchel? :mrgreen:

53x12

by 53x12

Very nice. Kinda reminds me of tilquist's project for the Garmin. Different designs for the two but both seem to get the work done quite well.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28122&start=105
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

eric01

by eric01

That Garmin mount is nice! Deserves its own thread!
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

kregg

by kregg

Yeah. I meant the mount not the dip. Lol.
Tarmac SL3 S-Works 13.75lbs 6.24kg
Jamis Xenith Pro 16.1lbs 7.31kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fallen86

by fallen86

eric01 wrote:That Garmin mount is nice! Deserves its own thread!

I take back my satchel remark :wink:

53x12 wrote:Very nice. Kinda reminds me of tilquist's project for the Garmin. Different designs for the two but both seem to get the work done quite well.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28122&start=105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes! i'm a big fan of his design, i think it'll be a lot stronger than my current setup but I'll have to use mine to see.