How to make the bike stand still to photograph it?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Liggero

by Liggero

Hi there, I always have to place the bike next to a tree or against a wall to photograph it, but I see in magazine and in a lot of people's bike photos that the bike is like standing still by itself. I get to see like a little stick behind the wheel, like from the skewer to the floor, but that is just my speculation. Can somebody please explain me how do you make your bikes standing still to photograph them? I will appreciate it a lot. thanks!!!
Happy Trails !!!

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Hi. I actually use a skewer that you'd use to shiskabob with. I put one end into the ground and the other end into the crank arm nut. Then if you want to be super fancy, you can photoshop it out when you upload it to your computer. ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You mean like this?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

It depends what type of background you want.

You can get away with some objects holding the bike based on the background shot and angle.

You can use fish line to hold it

Then use a photoshop like tool to remove it.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Liggero

by Liggero

gumgardner wrote:Hi. I actually use a skewer that you'd use to shiskabob with. I put one end into the ground and the other end into the crank arm nut. Then if you want to be super fancy, you can photoshop it out when you upload it to your computer. ;)

I don't get it man, what do you mean by shiskabob? About removing it with photoshop I know how to do that, I´m very good at photoshop, my problem is how to make the bike stand still without a tree. Focusing the bike with a 210mm lens and no tripod and a far background is another issue i have to improve but anyway, first i need to make the bike stand still. These are my bikes latest images. I updated both bikes a lot and i want to make new photos from them.

Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

prendrefeu wrote:You mean like this?

yes, exactly like that. I know how to do it with finishing line, but it's not for a photography contest, i'd like to do something easier. Still, it's a beginning that thing of the fishing line, but i've seen people putting some kind of thin stick between the bike and the floor.

Amazing image by the way, really great.
Happy Trails !!!

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Like this, then take picture from the other side

gumgardner

by gumgardner

These are shish kabobs. I use the stick

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Y'all are strange with your 'sticks' and 'fishing lines'. I guess if it works for you.

I use a combination of harnessed dark matter & the black arts. :twisted:

:lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Liggero

by Liggero

thank you so much, i will fabricate myself something like that. Maybe not with a ball at the end but just prolong the stick to introduce it in the axle, with something to top it and that's it. Very light bikes by the way, too light for my taste but just awesome. thanks.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

prendrefeu wrote:Y'all are strange with your 'sticks' and 'fishing lines'. I guess if it works for you.

I use a combination of harnessed dark matter & the black arts. :twisted:

:lol:

hahahahahah, you used a tripod and long exposure also, otherwise it's impossible to meet such a perfect vertical plane, you even matched the cross at the backrground. simply amazing.
Happy Trails !!!

Rob1519

by Rob1519

No skewer, no fishing line, no kabob. This was shot with my Daughter holding the bike while shot was composed. She releases the bike as the pic is taken and catches prior to toppling. Yes, I have a lot of faith in my 12 year old.

Rob

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I would not recommend this technique :mrgreen:

artray

by artray

I use an army of tiny ants

sungod

by sungod

camera fixed on tripod/stable support

picture of scene without bike

picture of scene with bike held/propped