A Training Website Idea

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hillierious

by hillierious

Hi, I'm thinking about putting together a website that can help coordinate training times and rides with people in close geographic proximity to make training with a partner that much easier. This is just the barebones idea right now but would you guys be interested in something like this? Its a bit different than Strava in that its not mapping your rides (although that functionality could be added). What features would you want and what type of interface?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

hillierious wrote:Hi, I'm thinking about putting together a website that can help coordinate training times and rides with people in close geographic proximity to make training with a partner that much easier. This is just the barebones idea right now but would you guys be interested in something like this? Its a bit different than Strava in that its not mapping your rides (although that functionality could be added). What features would you want and what type of interface?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Mapping rides would be good for starters both from being able to draw (create) and uploading from my gps.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beardking

by beardking

seems like a hard thing to set up. if you don't get the riders equally matched up then some/all of them aren't going to be able to do the ride at the pace or intensity they want and might be/feel obligated to wait for the others.
if you could have the person setting up the ride, map it and give the details about the average speed and amount of climbing etc. then give them a few options as to what happens if riders are dropped, like an agreement to wait or have one rider make sure none is dropped or to have no waiting at all.............

idk just some ideas. but my advice to anyone would be to just join a club and join rides and make friends that way if possible

gazrichards

by gazrichards

Rapha do something very similar with an app.
I think the idea is that you set a meet time and point and you log on when you get to the meet point and it tells you how far away your mates are.

hillierious

by hillierious

How I want it to work is that you enter your schedule in and the website can calculate when you're available and then set up possible rides with matches that are in your area/part of your contact list. You confirm the ride,plan the meeting place, pace and route before hand and off you go. Whatdo you think? I'm a recent grad and I've got nothing but time time and energy to throw at this.

Miller76

by Miller76

I like the idea of a "LinkdIn" for cycling, a BikedIn if you must..

It would rely on riders being honest about their ability level but it would be a great way to organize training rides.

Riders if similar levels on similar schedules could organize training rides etc.

Can't we create a weight weenies Facebook page and all load our rides and routes onto that?

Then we can arrange rides with each other that way??

eordman

by eordman

like eHarmony, but for bikes. Match people on "compatibility" like fitness level, distance, location, schedule, etc.. Let them figure out the ride details.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hillierious

by hillierious

Exactly! I'll throw together a beta in the next couple weeks and invite you guys to try it out.