Ridley Noah and ENVE Smart 3.4 Clinchers: 16.7 pounds

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lawfarm

by Lawfarm

With boat anchor saddle and such.

http://ridingagainstthegrain.com/2012/04/21/ridley-noah-review/

Change a few things, and 15.5 pounds would be pretty realistic for a target. The frame set is pretty heavy by itself...the fork and seat stays, with the aero vents, add quite a bit of weight.
Last edited by Lawfarm on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

xrs2

by xrs2

The Crank Bros pedals are hardly boat anchors; even in the Candy incarnation they are among the lightest pedals available.

Just a thought: You'd be much better off with some real road pedals on the bike. I have Eggbeaters on my randonneurs, but Look Keo Carbon blades on the lightweight road bike. There is a very significant difference in terms of power transfer with the larger platform/cleat interface and the much stiffer road shoe. I think it's worth the trouble of having two different shoe/pedal/cleat systems.

The real boat anchor in terms of weight are the Enve 3.4s, which I believe are ~1450 g. Switching to a light weight tubular set could save you up to 500 g. Of course, the Enves have aero benefits (In fact, I'm getting a set myself and damn the weight).

Just a suggestion, your bike looks great though!

J

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 2011

I second the comment about the pedals. With weight and aerodynamics aside, the drawbacks of Eggbeaters on a roadbike totally negate out any of those other benefits. Having a pedals that has a much larger platform, more secure with less play and just better security... will benefit you more than light weight.

Ditch the eggbeaters and get some nice road pedals to match. I suggest the Keo Blades as well.

WasFab

by WasFab

I suggest the speedplay titanium.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Power transfer issues if you dont use a wide platform pedal?

Where do you guys get your information? Thin air?

Tell Cancellera, Cadel and the major teams and riders who run Speedplays. Specifically they say how stable the platform is despite its design and size. Hardly a wide platform. Smilar to egg beater.

Lawfarm

by Lawfarm

Zigmeister wrote:Power transfer issues if you dont use a wide platform pedal?

Where do you guys get your information? Thin air?

Tell Cancellera, Cadel and the major teams and riders who run Speedplays. Specifically they say how stable the platform is despite its design and size. Hardly a wide platform. Smilar to egg beater.

I've had a number of people tell me over the past year or so that I should go to larger road platforms...but I haven't found any objective data out there on the issue. Is there any information available about pedaling efficiency? If there was a legitimate performance/efficiency gain to be had, I'd overcome my "one pedal for all seasons" concern.

Murphs

by Murphs

I'm more concerned about the "dish" of your wheels.

They are 30 and 40mm depth/profile not "dish".

em3

by em3

...I too am concerned, but more about how tight your headset must be. You show two pics where the front wheel is suspended above the level of rear wheel, yet somehow your bars don't turn? Still a nice ride...
EM3

Lawfarm

by Lawfarm

Alright. "Dish" comment rectified. Geez...

em3 wrote:...I too am concerned, but more about how tight your headset must be. You show two pics where the front wheel is suspended above the level of rear wheel, yet somehow your bars don't turn? Still a nice ride...
EM3

In the "second" pic (hanging from the scale), it took a lot of balancing to get it perfect.

In the "first" pic (my daughter 'holding' it)...well...let's just say that she has impeccable balance.

In either event, the headset isn't too tight...but thanks for worrying!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTBike

by VTBike

Beautiful! Great pics; it looks like a blast to ride.