New Model of Rotor 3D Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

literider

by literider

From their facebook page:

"Introducing our new 3DF crank. The 3DF offers some of the technological features of the 3D+ at a price point closer to the 3D cranks. It's 30mm UBB (universal bottom bracket) axle makes it lighter than the 3D crank and compatible with almost every frame on the market: BBright, BB386, BB30, PF30, BB86, ITA, BSA, etc."

"The 3DF is available in XC2, XC3, Road 130 and 110 versions. Here are some weight comparitives using Road 130bcd 175mm crank size: 3D 540g, 3DF 532g, 3D+ 468g."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

That figures. I just installed the 3D on my bike with a Quarq. There's always something better!!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

redhed18

by redhed18

I was REALLY wishing they would update the graphics to something other than "1980's arcade game"

Big Rotor fan... Agilis user... still waiting :(

petromyzon

by petromyzon

They look fantastic with no graphics:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/04/19/fir ... ed-ridden/

sastre

by sastre

petromyzon wrote:They look fantastic with no graphics:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/04/19/fir ... ed-ridden/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there dark graphics you can see them if you look real close.
il have the silver graphics please goes with my frame dark labels are so 2011.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I've always been a fan of Rotor stuff, but when are they going to make their stuff light, and quit displaying misleading weights? The weights they are listing are cranks only no rings or BB. At 532g, by the time you add 120g of rings you are at 652g, and at that weight you might as well just use a SR11 crank, or Red for much cost savings. If you use their rings it is even worse. A Rotor 53t Q-Ring weighs as much as 2 Stronglight rings. Even at 468g of the 3D+ it still gets up there with rings, and BB. At 588g for a 3D+ with Stronglight rings, that is 10g more than my Lightning cranks with a Zipp Vuma Quad BB. Take out the 90g of my BB, and Rotor's lightest crank is a 100g heavier when you compare apples to apples. Then factor in the ugly graphics, and I just cannot fathom why anyone uses these.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

ProfessorChaos wrote:I've always been a fan of Rotor stuff, but when are they going to make their stuff light, and quit displaying misleading weights? The weights they are listing are cranks only no rings or BB. At 532g, by the time you add 120g of rings you are at 652g, and at that weight you might as well just use a SR11 crank, or Red for much cost savings. If you use their rings it is even worse. A Rotor 53t Q-Ring weighs as much as 2 Stronglight rings. Even at 468g of the 3D+ it still gets up there with rings, and BB. At 588g for a 3D+ with Stronglight rings, that is 10g more than my Lightning cranks with a Zipp Vuma Quad BB. Take out the 90g of my BB, and Rotor's lightest crank is a 100g heavier when you compare apples to apples. Then factor in the ugly graphics, and I just cannot fathom why anyone uses these.

Tell us how you really feel!

The graphics are a bit of a turn off I agree.

100grams slowing you down? I suggest some bigger quads and better conditioning. It's the rider, not the 50gms of weight that is making the difference.

I want a stiff crank with descent weight. Along with some other items I don't want lightweight. Like flexy crappy carbon handlebars. None are stiff enough for me. Last thing I need while in a sprint finish is my bars and cranks all wonky and slushy feeling. I'll take the stiffer aluminum that is heavier along with stem and cranks to get the most power transfer and solid feel. But everyone is different with their needs.

Better graphics and lower pricing for Rotor would be good also. Buy a crank, bottom bracket, Qrings, and you are into the things for $900 typically. At that price, just buy some Cannondale Hollowgrams and be done with it.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Zigmeister wrote:Tell us how you really feel!

The graphics are a bit of a turn off I agree.

100grams slowing you down? I suggest some bigger quads and better conditioning. It's the rider, not the 50gms of weight that is making the difference.

I want a stiff crank with descent weight. Along with some other items I don't want lightweight. Like flexy crappy carbon handlebars. None are stiff enough for me. Last thing I need while in a sprint finish is my bars and cranks all wonky and slushy feeling. I'll take the stiffer aluminum that is heavier along with stem and cranks to get the most power transfer and solid feel. But everyone is different with their needs.

Better graphics and lower pricing for Rotor would be good also. Buy a crank, bottom bracket, Qrings, and you are into the things for $900 typically. At that price, just buy some Cannondale Hollowgrams and be done with it.

You know this is WW forum right? All things being equal as far as quads, and conditioning, 100g is 100g.

I agree with the bit about handlebars, and stem to an extent. There are some nice stiff carbon offerings now, but they are not super light either. I had some FSA K wing bars, and they were horrible. My Zipp carbon bars I have now are plenty stiff. Bars, and stems are certainly a good place to go stiff, and heavy.

Sram Red cranks are supposed to be one of the stiffest cranks out, and I had those on my backup bike for some time with the Lightning cranks on my main race bike. I could not tell a difference in flex between the two as far as flex. The weight difference however, is easy to tell. I've really wanted to try Rotor cranks, and Q-Rings for some time now, but the weight holds me back from making the purchase.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

The big win is that they are a 30mm spindle crank that promises to be compatible with any frame standard, I suppose. And the arms themselves are separate from the spider so they are popular for powermeters. But yeah, the new Red crank and the spy shots of the DA 9000 setup look like they might be better options in terms of stiffness to weight and cost. Where would that leave Rotor? Q-rings seem pretty popular and gaining around here so maybe they are selling cranks off the back of that....
Last edited by petromyzon on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

of course we are going to do the standard absolutely useless bitching about liiks, and loads of punting about weight.

But this all comes down to the real change.

When you forge something, it generally has a substantial effect on stiffness.

maquisard

by maquisard

I've been using a 3D F compact crank on my R5 since February.

No problems and I'm happy with it's stiffness having previously using 7900 cranks.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

CharlesM wrote:of course we are going to do the standard absolutely useless bitching about liiks, and loads of punting about weight.

But this all comes down to the real change.

When you forge something, it generally has a substantial effect on stiffness.

Well, according to Fairwheel's test where the regular 3D finished pretty middle of the pack. It was only slightly better stiffness to weight ratio than the Lightning cranks, but at much higher weight. So Forged aluminum may be stiffer, but at the expense of a lot of weight.

taken from this test:
http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... =77&t=7916

CharlesM

by CharlesM

There were only three graphs in that test if I remember correctly, why leave out the third graph? Was the 3D better than middle of the road?

Ah, I see...
Last edited by CharlesM on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

CharlesM wrote:There were only three graphs in that test if I remember correctly, why leave out the third graph?

Ah I see...

Not really relative. It is the deflection of each crank. Where the Rotor did good, but the weight just kills it. Still even a Red crank kills it in the deflection. Here it is though:

CharlesM

by CharlesM

That's the part I "see"

It's where the Rotor did good and a forged part will likely perform better still.

A forged part will also likely change the stiffness : weight. (mayne not...)

I get why it wasnt relevant as it specifically relates to the point you're trying to make.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com