Need a good lightweight seatpost in 30.9

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

VTBike

by VTBike

Subject says it all! I've been out of Mtn biking for a while, and what I currently have (Thompson Elite Setback) needs to be replaced with a zero, or smaller setback post. I also want something black to match my frame (Sworks aluminum). I've looked at a few different options - crank brothers cobalt 3, easton EC90, raceface Next, and none seem to be that great. I could always order another Thomson in black, with 0 setback, but the thing just looks so boring. Any other good options out there? I'm 195 lbs, so super light weight need not apply. I also will probably use a quick release, so I'm mildly concerned about torquing a carbon post properly - not even sure if this is an issue these days or not.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Whats wrong with the ec90? I had a 30.9 zero offset at one time and iirc it was like 180g with ti hardware. Pretty light and adds some comfort to the ride
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Donny70

by Donny70

The Thompson is the lightest strongest post you can buy. Black is boring full stop.

sstefanov

by sstefanov

Thomson Masterpiece or if you want carbon - Easton EC90.

Stefan

VTBike

by VTBike

Well, I really liked the EC90 too, then I looked at reviews here and there; on MTBR specifically. There were a few that said the clamp was poor, and that the post slipped under "proper torque" rates. You guys obviously don't have those issues? What about using a QR with a carbon post. Anything to really worry about? I mean you dial in that QR tension once, and hopefully every time you loosen/tighten, its the same torque.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I'm a big fan of carbon seat posts. The little bit of flex they offer feels great on a hardtail.

Tom-s

by Tom-s

Have a look at the smud-carbon seatpost.
you can get it build for your exact weight.

toskij

by toskij

Easton EC90...with KCNC seatpost yokes instead of the original heavy plate you can save a lot of weight, even 70 gr 8)
too old to mtb, too young to die!

Rider10

by Rider10

I've been using a KCNC Scandium Ti pro lite Seatpost for about a year now (around 5000km offload) and it has performed well. 148g for my 30.9mm version uncut.

jamespierce

by jamespierce

Thomson or Thomson.

andrewryangibson

by andrewryangibson

The cycle king new ultimate is nice, 188grams for $70 shipped. Carbon post with ti head and hardware. The full carbon version is $100 and 140 grams. Weights for 30.9 400mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Starla

by Starla

Thompson Elite on my FS trail bike - as it gets hammered, EC90s on my FS Race bike, & 29er HT.

All my bikes are carbon - I've never had any issue with any carbon seatposts or anything else.

The Thompson is a nightmare to change saddles on, the EC90 is 2 mins.

I've never tried the Thompson Masterpiece. Is it better/lighter than the Elite ?