uneven dropouts - wheel not centered

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gabe

by Gabe

I just built a new bike, chinese carbon 29er frame. the rear wheel leans to one side slightly due to the axle going forward into one dropout more than the other. the axle is resting against the derailleur hanger and that side is bringing the wheel in more than the other side. I'm wondering if theres a way to push it back. or if I should shave off some of the carbon in the other dropout to bring it forward so they are even. I just don't want the last option to cause my rotor to go too much into the caliper. If I could get rid of the 2mm or so gap thats in the dropouts so the axle would go in tighter that should also fix it. I looked for dropout spacers but can't seem to find anything. if I clamp the QR down and guide the wheel so its centered it moves after I start riding.

I've got about 3-4mm of clearance for my 2.25" tire on the side its closer to so I think I'm ok cause I'll never be running a wider tire but if my wheel gets untrue I could have an issue.

any ideas?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

file the dropout. be careful how much you file. a little dropout filing moves the tire a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

Post/email a pic to the manufacturer...get them to send you another one.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I have had to do this on a major brand road frame. the left side seemed to be in the correct position so I gently filed out the right front side with a pencil with sand paper over it and then put JB weld on the back side and then used the pencil to make it round. The pencil with the sand paper was just barely smaller than an axle so it worked quite well. It would slide up the dropout and then you cold slide it back and forth to gently profile the end of the opening you were working on. It took a little time and I kept reinserting the wheel to make sure I didn't overdo it.

I could have made them warranty the frame, but it was last years model and I would have had to take a color I did not like and wait several weeks. It was easier to just fix it. The bike currently has over 6000 miles on it and is still perfect.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Gabe

by Gabe

yourdaguy wrote:I have had to do this on a major brand road frame. the left side seemed to be in the correct position so I gently filed out the right front side with a pencil with sand paper over it and then put JB weld on the back side and then used the pencil to make it round. The pencil with the sand paper was just barely smaller than an axle so it worked quite well. It would slide up the dropout and then you cold slide it back and forth to gently profile the end of the opening you were working on. It took a little time and I kept reinserting the wheel to make sure I didn't overdo it.

I could have made them warranty the frame, but it was last years model and I would have had to take a color I did not like and wait several weeks. It was easier to just fix it. The bike currently has over 6000 miles on it and is still perfect.

thanks for the info. I was going to use a file that you would sharpen a chainsaw with.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I would be very careful with that since the diameter is small enough that you might end up with "high spots" so to speak. Also, a file will remove material very fast. I did a "sand a little", "put the wheel in", "sand a little", etc.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Gabe

by Gabe

yourdaguy wrote:I would be very careful with that since the diameter is small enough that you might end up with "high spots" so to speak. Also, a file will remove material very fast. I did a "sand a little", "put the wheel in", "sand a little", etc.

the file seems about the same size of a pencil. I feel like could be more precise with a file. ill try your way first

02GF74

by 02GF74

before you start filing, as you able to post photo?

you are 100% sure the axle is seated properly? also how does it look with the hanger removed? from what I understood. the hanger is causing the misalignment.

Gabe

by Gabe

02GF74 wrote:before you start filing, as you able to post photo?

you are 100% sure the axle is seated properly? also how does it look with the hanger removed? from what I understood. the hanger is causing the misalignment.

if the hanger came a mm or two into the dropout more causing the axle to be pushed back into the dropout it would be even.

02GF74

by 02GF74

struggling to isualise this without a photo .... have you looked into the option of getting a hanger made that would solve you alignment issues or have part of the existing hanger built up? If it were my frame, filing frame drop outs would be my last resort.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

This sounds like it could possibly be a wheel that isn't properly dished. Mount the wheel backwards and see if it's still in the same position. If it's off to the other side then you need to get your wheel dished correctly.

Geoff

by Geoff

+1. That is not a very common problem. Check the wheel first.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com