Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL 4 2012

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Hey vladt, cheers for that - thanks for the compliment!

Sad to say, it's not me on Sunday morning doing road (at least, not the mt eliza ride) - must be some other big bugger with good taste!

I'm more likely to do the hills - beach rd is great (and fabulous to have right in our back yard) but I like hills! Odd, I know, for a big guy.

Hope you're enjoying your SL 4 - they're awesome!

Now, if I can just diagnose the creaking that appears to be coming from the BB (don't all creaks appear to come from the BB?), I'll be a totally happy camper!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ThePullMan

by ThePullMan

Hey khdroberts! Would you mind taking a few snaps of how you have positioned your light? You are using exposure right? the way you have positioned it seems pretty interesting. Cheers!
It isn't going to be easy, but it's going to be worth it.

khdroberts

by khdroberts

No worries - I'll shoot some today and upload them when I get back from my ride.

It's actually a new mount from Exposure (yep, that's what I'm using - for the rear at least) - it's a cradle that mounts to the seat rails! Utterly brilliant and one of those 'why didn't I think of that' type things.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Love the frame colour, but those tyres have to go!

Is this new Exposure mount available to buy separately? Annoyingly I didn't know about it before I left the UK (where I was a manager in an Exposure dealer!), but I'd love to get my hands on one - it sounds like an ideal option.

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Rich-Ti: sorry, the tyres stay! I like 'em!

Yes, the saddle mount is a genuine Exposure product that you should be able to get from any good stockist. What is your current location? I might be able to point you in the right direction.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Thanks - I'm in Sydney now.

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Well, both Competitive Cyclist and Wiggle have them. Alternatively, you could give Total Rush in Melbourne a call (that's where I bought mine): (03)9421 0070.

Failing that, the Aussie importer is Bike Box (www.bikebox.com.au) - give them a try; they're bound to be able to provide you with a local stockist.

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Rich-Ti: Here's the close-up shots of the cradle for the Exposure Flare:
Attachments
Shot from the drive side, looking side-on under the saddle.
Shot from the drive side, looking side-on under the saddle.
Shot from the rear drive side, looking 3/4 profile under the saddle.
Shot from the rear drive side, looking 3/4 profile under the saddle.

vladt

by vladt

No probs at all mate.
The colour is seriously catchy :)

hmm, interesting point about the BB creaking, in fact I thought I also had the BB creaking issue. Long story short, it was the seat post that was creaking.
So as a guess, check your seat post and see if it needs some extra lube - :lol:

The tall guy I see on Sunday morning rides is indeed riding black Z1 in rapha gear so I thought it might have been you.
Heading out to the hills on sunday?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

khdroberts wrote:Rich-Ti: Here's the close-up shots of the cradle for the Exposure Flare:

That's neat, thanks!

khdroberts

by khdroberts

vladt wrote:No probs at all mate.
The colour is seriously catchy :)

hmm, interesting point about the BB creaking, in fact I thought I also had the BB creaking issue. Long story short, it was the seat post that was creaking.
So as a guess, check your seat post and see if it needs some extra lube - :lol:

The tall guy I see on Sunday morning rides is indeed riding black Z1 in rapha gear so I thought it might have been you.
Heading out to the hills on sunday?

Nope, I knew it wasn't the seat post. I'm an OLD hand at diagnosing creaks on bikes and that's the first thing I check - get out of the saddle and see if it's still making the noise. It was.

I pretty much knew what it was without having to do much investigating: loose cassette. That's not the first time that a loose cassette (not snugged down quite firmly enough with the lock-ring) has caused creaking that sounds like it's coming from the BB. The chain warps as the cassette moves and the whole thing transmits through to the BB - probably because it's the largest air cavity on the frame and so it makes a good sound chamber I guess.

Hope to be heading to the hills this weekend - 120 - 140 k trip. Should be fun!

You'll know me when you see me on my Z1 - she's candy purple with white panels 8) : can't miss it really!

Have a great weekend.