Going over to Sram

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which option should i get?

Red shifters with Force FD, RD and brakes.
67%
Red shifters with Rival FD, RD and brakes.
13%
Rival shifters with Rival FD, RD and brakes.
20%

Total votes: 54

yongkun

by yongkun

This is a ww forum, do us a favour, get the lighter one!

Kastrup

by Kastrup

First of all, thank you all for replying and helping me figure out what to do.

I think i will do the following: Shell out the extra cash for the Red shifters and then go Rival with the rest. I might experiment with my current Ultegra FD and see if that gives some better results as far as the front shifting goes.

Down the road, i'll probably try the yaw FD and see if it really is that much better.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Lets be honest friends don't let friends buy Sram for any other reason than weight savings at a price point. Red and Force

gumgardner

by gumgardner

What other reason is there?

tinozee

by tinozee

All Red. Get the red FD with steel cage. Just go on ebay, bikewagon sells oem Red stuff for dirt cheap.

I had some Rival shifters and the ratchet stripped within two weeks.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I don't think the red front derailleur is that bad. It stinks with powercordz though. At least for me ;)

notsoswift

by notsoswift

gumgardner wrote:What other reason is there?

performance, quality, longevity

GT3RS

by GT3RS

Just to muddy the waters a bit my call would be; Red shifters, Rival mechs and Force brakes. I have a bit of every Sram group across my bikes and I would say the Red shifters are worth the premium, short positive shift action feels better than others to me. The Force brakeset is functionally identical to Red, only saving 10-15g with different bolts, and can be had for not much more than half the price of Red. Rival and Force mechs seems pretty close and while the Red rear mech is a lovely thing it is stupid expensive.

Rick

by Rick

Tough call, because all the SRAM stuff works pretty similar, with very small increments of improvement in smoothness and weight reduction.
I think the truth is that Red and Force are not really "worth it" except for someone who is sitting down and making the $/gram calculations and really thinks they need the best. I'm using RED now, because I am not really very fast and am insecure and feel like I need every advantage.
But the truth is that I am no faster and really don't enjoy the riding any more that when I am on my old steel frame with a triple Sora group.
Still, I have hope that pretty soon I am going to "break through" on the training and that last 200 grams will really be the difference in my placings. ;)

r_mutt

by r_mutt

notsoswift wrote:
gumgardner wrote:What other reason is there?

performance, quality, longevity

longevity for SRAM? ha!

if you insist on getting SRAM, why don't you wait for 11 speed (22 speed in SRAM lingo) next season.