How much weight can be saved - 32 hole wheelset to a 28 hole

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bones

by bones

How much weight can be saved going from a...
32 hole wheelset to one that is....
28 hole wheelset?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seandonovan

by seandonovan

8x weight of a spoke + nipple 8 (material lost through drilling)

anywhere between 40g and 80g (Aerolights + alu and Sapim race + brass).

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

This topic is rigged to favor shimano/sram over campagnolo.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

artray

by artray

It depends on rim weight , sometimes rims with more holes can end up weighing less .

MarkMcM

by MarkMcM

This is a trick question. The answer is:

None. The 28 spoke wheels will be heavier. Here's why -

Keeping all else equal, eliminating spokes reduces not only weight, but also stiffness and durability. To gain back that durubility, you have to use a stiffer rim, which will add weight back. The weight needed to added back to the rim will be greater than the weight eliminated from the spokes.

But, if you are willing to reduce stiffness and durability by removing spokes, here's the potential weight savings -

Stainless steel spokes vary in weight from about 4 grams each (for 2.0mm/1.5mm/2.0mm butted spokes) to about 7 grams each (2.0mm straight spokes). Nipples vary in weight from about 0.3 grams each (aluminum) to about 1 gram each (brass). So the spoke and nipple combined weight varies between 4.3 grams to 8 grams per set. If you went from a pair of 32 spoke wheels (64 spokes total spokes) to an otherwise identical pair of 28 spokes whels (56 spokes total), you'd eliminate 8 spokes, which would have a total weight of between 34.4 grams to 56 grams - or in other terms, about 1 to 2 ounces, which isn't much.

XLR8R

by XLR8R

MarkMcM wrote:This is a trick question. The answer is:

Keeping all else equal, eliminating spokes reduces not only weight, but also stiffness and durability. To gain back that durubility, you have to use a stiffer rim, which will add weight back. The weight needed to added back to the rim will be greater than the weight eliminated from the spokes.

But, if you are willing to reduce stiffness and durability by removing spokes, here's the potential weight savings -

Stainless steel spokes vary in weight from about 4 grams each (for 2.0mm/1.5mm/2.0mm butted spokes) to about 7 grams each (2.0mm straight spokes). Nipples vary in weight from about 0.3 grams each (aluminum) to about 1 gram each (brass). So the spoke and nipple combined weight varies between 4.3 grams to 8 grams per set. If you went from a pair of 32 spoke wheels (64 spokes total spokes) to an otherwise identical pair of 28 spokes whels (56 spokes total), you'd eliminate 8 spokes, which would have a total weight of between 34.4 grams to 56 grams - or in other terms, about 1 to 2 ounces, which isn't much.

I realy like your theory therefore my next wheelset will have 360 spokes per wheel. So when you see a Specialized S-works Roubaix racing Nascar you'll know it's me! :D

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Frankie - B wrote:This topic is rigged to favor shimano/sram over campagnolo.

:lol: :lol: (I see your reference!)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTBike

by VTBike

MarkMcM wrote:This is a trick question. The answer is:

So your saying that when Mavic makes a rim that can be drilled for 20 or 24 holes, or 28, that they are changing the manufacturing design, and adding more material into the 20/24 holed rims than the 28 - rather than just changing the build pattern? I don't think so.

What your saying is true technically, but probably makes no difference in the real world.