Rims for a disc road bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bones

by bones

Hey. What about Velocity's Blunt rim. It's sized for 29er bikes, but I think you can also use it for 700c if I am not mistaken. Lightweight too! And designed only for disc brakes since there isn't even enough surface area for a brake pad.

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

blunts are way too wide - i had a pair of vittoria 32mm cross tires on mine and there was hardly any contact patch with the tires inflated. 38mm continentals were a much better fit, so i can't imagine trying to ride 23mm/25mm slicks on those rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bones

by bones

lordconqueror wrote:blunts are way too wide - i had a pair of vittoria 32mm cross tires on mine and there was hardly any contact patch with the tires inflated. 38mm continentals were a much better fit, so i can't imagine trying to ride 23mm/25mm slicks on those rims.

That's odd. I thought the Velocity Blunts were 25mm wide, which would seem to indicate that there shouldn't be any problems with a tire 25mm and up.

Strange that your 32mm Vittoria tire only gave you a small contact patch when fully inflated on the Blunt rim. Maybe it has something to do with the tire actually only being marketed for 29er rims and not 700c? In fact, the ERD of the Blunt rim is 606mm, instead of the usual 595 - 600mm ERD of most 700c rims. Did you notice your tires being excessively hard to mount?

mjduct

by mjduct

I can't wait until somebody comes up with some ultralight carbon rims, no reinforced brake track necessary!

this will be my next project!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

mjduct wrote:I can't wait until somebody comes up with some ultralight carbon rims, no reinforced brake track necessary!

Enve Twenty9 XC, 24mm wide
Clincher 385g
Tubular 280g
There.

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

wassertreter wrote:
mjduct wrote:I can't wait until somebody comes up with some ultralight carbon rims, no reinforced brake track necessary!

Clincher 385g
Tubular 280g
There.

Stan's Crest 29er
Clincher 380g
Costs $725 less than the Enve rim.
There.
I'm so rubbish at this.

jooo

by jooo

bones wrote:
lordconqueror wrote:blunts are way too wide - i had a pair of vittoria 32mm cross tires on mine and there was hardly any contact patch with the tires inflated. 38mm continentals were a much better fit, so i can't imagine trying to ride 23mm/25mm slicks on those rims.

That's odd. I thought the Velocity Blunts were 25mm wide, which would seem to indicate that there shouldn't be any problems with a tire 25mm and up.

Strange that your 32mm Vittoria tire only gave you a small contact patch when fully inflated on the Blunt rim. Maybe it has something to do with the tire actually only being marketed for 29er rims and not 700c? In fact, the ERD of the Blunt rim is 606mm, instead of the usual 595 - 600mm ERD of most 700c rims. Did you notice your tires being excessively hard to mount?

Blunts are 28mm - light all mountain style rims
Blunt SL's are narrow XC rims - two different models

mjduct

by mjduct

wassertreter wrote:

Clincher 385g
Tubular 280g
There.

yeah, now take that 24mm wide mountain rim, and make it about 19mm wide, and take some of the beef out of it for road use, and I bet you'll be able to get the tubular version down to 200 grams.

thats a very minimal amount of rotating weight! let the uphill attacks begin!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

mjduct wrote:yeah, now take that 24mm wide mountain rim, and make it about 19mm wide, and take some of the beef out of it for road use, and I bet you'll be able to get the tubular version down to 200 grams.

thats a very minimal amount of rotating weight! let the uphill attacks begin!

I guess then you end up with something similar to an AX Lightness SRT24.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

+1 for the Velocity A23

These will probably be my next disc rims, if I can find some for sale without the machined sidewall.

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

jooo wrote:Blunts are 28mm - light all mountain style rims

thank you for pointing this out when i failed to. yes, i have the wider, 28mm rims.

bones

by bones

lordconqueror wrote:
jooo wrote:Blunts are 28mm - light all mountain style rims

thank you for pointing this out when i failed to. yes, i have the wider, 28mm rims.

BOth of them are designed for 28mm tires and up.