New Open Pro for 2012?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

astranoc

by astranoc

Saw that, but if you click at it, it shows you the Reflex rim, so not sure. Have you 've seen online for sale any 2012 open pro cd?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yashkatsumi

by yashkatsumi

I have the Open Pro CD, and the surface treatment wears out after a couple of rides in the rain. But before it does, it looks awesome. A slightly wider Open pro with the Exalith treatment would be perfect.
My bikes:
2014 Falco Saker
2013 Tonic Fabrications road disc
2011 Seven Axiom SL
2011 Cannondale trail sl1 UK
2009 Zanconato Team cross
2008 Bianchi Milano Cafe racer
2008 Bianchi 1885
2002 Lemond

peruffo

by peruffo

Someone mentioned the Cosmic Elite not revised but continously labelled as "NEW". The hub internal design changed twice since its introduction in 1998, and the most recent version is indeed about 100 gr lighter than the "ancient" ones. The rim probably remained the same - a slightly modified CXP with 18/20 holes.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

yashkatsumi wrote: But before it does, it looks awesome. A slightly wider Open pro with the Exalith treatment would be perfect.

Hope they don't do this. No room in my budget for a new set of training wheels.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

HillRPete

by HillRPete

astranoc wrote:Saw that, but if you click at it, it shows you the Reflex rim, so not sure. Have you 've seen online for sale any 2012 open pro cd?

http://www.bike-components.de/products/ ... 2012-.html
The colour on the brake tracks will still wear off, unless you used a disc brake, as per OP.

jonjones13

by jonjones13

Hi,
When asked if Mavic were going to roll out Exilath to their rims I had a reply off the UK Mavic guy last week saying:

"For the foreseeable future the Exalith technology will only feature on Mavic’s excellent system wheels."

Booooooo :(

20,24,28 and 32h Exilath wider Open Pro tubless please !! Mavic - are you listening ??

billspreston

by billspreston

They won't offer the Exalith as a rim only and Mavic isn't the only one that refuses to offer popular rims to builders as a business decision. Companies believe by doing this that they'll make more profits in the end by driving demand for their full wheelsets where the margins are higher.

Whether or not this strategy translates into greater profits over offering the rim only I'm not sure. My guess is NO and you get a group of frustrated customers to boot, myself included!

Give us Exalith rims! Mavic Zach, I know you are out there!

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Mavic won't listen to us and we will never, ever, be able to buy an exalith rim.

Maybe Ambrosio could offer such a rim. That would be an excellent opportunity for them.

morrisond

by morrisond

Price them at $200-300 then profit shouldn't be an issue and a lot cheaper than carbon

FreaK

by FreaK

Guerdi wrote:Mavic won't listen to us and we will never, ever, be able to buy an exalith rim.

Maybe Ambrosio could offer such a rim. That would be an excellent opportunity for them.

They haven't come through for me on reintroducing their XY 24" rim
But i'm going to wait for the Exalith Reflex. It's just a good idea. Mavic made their name with anyone at all old hand by making better rims and letting people build them onto the finest hubs they could find. Why shouldn't you be able to ride a Reflex or Open Pro with the very best Mavic know how to do, laced to ChrisKing, or Hope, or Tune, or DT hubs? There isn't a good reason.
:popcorn:
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

mgordon

by mgordon

There is a good reason... Because Mavic doesn't make much money on them. Compared to wheel-systems, hardly anyone builds or buys handbuilt.

eurperg

by eurperg

I have no interest at all in Mavic wheel systems. Aksiums are good for their price but old Cosmos wheels were even nicer and better quality. Their more expensive wheels offer nothing interesting except the Exalith treatment.

I think cheap chinese carbon wheelsets make their Ksyrium, R-Sys and mid-range Cosmic wheels useless. :noidea:

Exalith Open Pro's and Reflexes would give a reason to buy Mavic stuff again. I'd choose quality handbuilts over Ksyriums any day.

FreaK

by FreaK

How can adding labour and warranty support be more profitable? And packaging efficiency goes down, and... Frankly it's a marketing decision. To a major company, a wheel seems cooler than a rim, is easier to promote to the masses, and can be sold as a package OEM.

In fact, to hell with your argument!! Mavic sells some of their tubeless mtb rims to the public, they can be built up using regular spokes on any hub.

Besides, nobody's asking them to add another model, simply replace the finish level of either CD or Ceramic in the lineup with Exalith.
The people who buy Open Pros and Relflexes consider themselves too smart for 'system' wheels. A lot of them come from mountain biking where system wheels are a totally new thing.

If they don't do it everybody loses.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

FreaK

by FreaK

Also, that's not a good reason, that's a shitty reason.

Alienate your lifetime customers? Ya that's a good idea. who do you think convinced all those "Freds" that mavic system wheel was a good purchase since they're such a good company at making quality rims?*

*cxp22 notwithstanding - honestly, wtf is up with that rim?
-
tymon_tm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurperg

by eurperg

All the mountain bikers who had CrossMax wheels in the early 2000's are now using lighter and wider NoTubes rims built with hubs that are more easily convertable between axle standards than Mavic hubs. Mavic lost it on the MTB side too... They're offering just two old trekking rims for 29ers... :lol: