3 spoke wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vince15

by vince15

Any thread on 3 spoke wheels here? Apologies if this has been asked before.
I am looking for a 3 front spoke wheel, anyone have suggestion about FFWD or HED? I heard that focus-carbon.com also have a 3 spoke wheel model, it looks similar to HED and it's very cheap, so i am wondering is it a case of "there's a good reason for that"?

Vince

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

Looks similar but has a slight arc to the blades, and a pronounced ridge along the blades as well as a odd transition area from the blade to the rim. Oh and it is a bit porky at 950g! my Hed3 front with old metal rim is only 800g (in tubular)!

So probably not as aero, and heavier (but i'm thinking the hub will be a massive improvement whatever they use!)

Original Hed ones are pretty cheap on fleabay if you can put up with a alloy brake track, ~£250.

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

Ooops read the rear weight! no soo bad, but I'd get them to check it as they reckon its the same weight for the 5spoke front, and that they can produce a 220g 24mm rim. Which would be very comparable with AX lightness rims, for a lot less money. If its true then i'll be buying some!

vince15

by vince15

I check that the blades design on 5 spoke wheels is thinner than 3 spoke wheels, maybe that's the reason their weight is the same. yes they can make low file rims around 220g, but this is for 20mm, not 24mm, i have got the pictures Justin sent to me before, it really weigh only 226g.
Attachments
SAM_0768.JPG

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

Well damn good find then!! :up:
Cynicism does sometimes pay off! I have seen a few of these far eastern OEM style companies pluck numbers out of thin air, and when you enquire about an actual weight the excuses come pouring out.

I may have to look at a set of those for a sub kilo wheel build. Enjoy the trispoke, they have a lovely noise at >25mph.

Geoff

by Geoff

I don't know about Focus, but the Hed Tri-spoke is legendarily fast.

Oh, and braking on them is good, too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGMN

by NGMN

specialized and dupont poured hours in the wind tunnel to come up with the original Hed 3. I doubt the same can be said for the focus wheel.