Canyon Chaincatcher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

1415chris wrote:....and it's extremely heavy :wink:

Really

Mine (deda dog fang ) is 5g......... Not that heavy :mrgreen:

Rick

by Rick

Do people then remind you, after you always make this post, that not everybody has a round seat tube on their bike?

Usually. :D
But then I also remind them that my seat tube isn't round. But admittedly, it can't be too far from round to work. The band is polymer, so it conforms to non-round shapes as long as they are not too extreme.
I think the problem with the N gear is that in my opinion he doesn't have the guide function as the other style chain catchers and the chain can jump behind the fang, resting on the clamp and still causing damage to the frame.

If you look closely at the picture, the N-gear has a bent metal plate at the top, so it does guide the chain downward and it would be virtually impossible to get the chain behind the catcher. I actually have mine mounted a bit higher in relation to the chainrings than shown in the picture, so the bent metal plate is just below the derrailleur, so there is very little gap for a chain to come over the top. And the lower part of the plate still has enough overlap if the small chainring to prevent the chain from getting off underneath.

I have no particular loyalty to N-gear. It is just an alternative that works really well and doesn't get much publicity.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

63corvairsprint

by 63corvairsprint

Earlier in the year my wife dropped her chain twice during a long windy Century, both were her fault for poor shifting while fighting the wind and hills. I decided to order a chaincatcher for her bike from that event; She rides a 52cm 2010 Madone 5.2 with a clamp FD. I looked at all the various braze on FD mounting types and those with built in clamps. I never found any of the bottle cage mounted catchers like this Canyon.

I decided to try the Deda Dog fang as it was simple and could easily be lightened per an earlier ww topic, so I ordered one.

The problem was that when the dog fang arrived and I went to installed it, the seat tube of the Madone begins to flare out as it approached the bottom bracket. Her small chainring is so low that the Dog fang will not fit (regardless of size ordered) due to the flare.

I now find myself in a renewed search for a chain catcher for my wife that uses the bottle mount. I would rather spend a few bucks now, then risk frame damage or an unhappy spouse.

If anyone finds a source for this style chain catcher, or runs a limited production line of their own chain catcher, using this mounting application. I am in the market for an immediate purchase.
Thanks...

Rick
Somewhere south of Chicago IL, USA

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

63corvairsprint wrote:Earlier in the year my wife dropped her chain twice during a long windy Century, both were her fault for poor shifting while fighting the wind and hills. I decided to order a chaincatcher for her bike from that event; She rides a 52cm 2010 Madone 5.2 with a clamp FD. I looked at all the various braze on FD mounting types and those with built in clamps. I never found any of the bottle cage mounted catchers like this Canyon.

I decided to try the Deda Dog fang as it was simple and could easily be lightened per an earlier ww topic, so I ordered one.

The problem was that when the dog fang arrived and I went to installed it, the seat tube of the Madone begins to flare out as it approached the bottom bracket. Her small chainring is so low that the Dog fang will not fit (regardless of size ordered) due to the flare.

I now find myself in a renewed search for a chain catcher for my wife that uses the bottle mount. I would rather spend a few bucks now, then risk frame damage or an unhappy spouse.

If anyone finds a source for this style chain catcher, or runs a limited production line of their own chain catcher, using this mounting application. I am in the market for an immediate purchase.

Once you mod the band of the DF to make it lighter the top and bottom band can co exist on slightly flared tubes..
M z5 flairs at the bottom but the thing 'dual band' deals with the differing ODs of the tube quite well! :thumbup:

63corvairsprint

by 63corvairsprint

@sugarcane

When I eyeballed the tube prior to ordering the DF, I knew that I was in the area of tube expansion. I figured that the modification to the single band DF to a lighter "double band" might allow me some flex and stretch. I thought I might angle the two clamp surfaces to really tighten the top of the DF while allowing the bottom band a little more slack to make it around the tube...

All of those plans were dashed quite effectivily when I actually had the part in hand. I don't know if it is the small frame coupled with the small 34 tooth chainring, but the area of where I need to mount the DF flares significantly to where using the DF is not feasible in its current config.

I thought about doing the lightening mods and then cutting the "bottom" band off all together and using expoy to glue to the DF to the tube for the additional support...

If I cannot find a chain catcher that bolts to the bottle cage hole, it is what I will need to do.
Thanks...

Rick
Somewhere south of Chicago IL, USA

literider

by literider

63, you could get a braze-on FD then purchase a band clamp adapter. Then you can install any of the braze-on FD chain catchers (Rotor, Token, K-Edge, etc).

I also remember reading about a Madone user who stuck layers of velcro to make a 'wedge' shape on the frame which would gently guide the chain towards to the little ring. I can't find the pictures, but I believe it was an old Velonews article.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Just contact Canyon and ask nicely if the could sent you one. Nothing to loose!

kervelo

by kervelo

http://www.canyon.com/_en/shop/?category=F01&item=23491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djm

by djm

Ordered a couple of these extra, one for a friend and one for myself.. Now they seem to have disappeared from Canyon's website.

Too popular? Weird that it's not there any longer.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Hi All,

does anybody know where to get canyon chain catcher in the US or similar type ? I tried to buy it from canyon website and send it to London address, but Canyon does not accept US billing address. :x I have clamp on front derailleur on my supersix and a compact ring (50/34). From what I read in forums, biggest clamp on K-edge wont work, and zip tie is needed if dog fang were to be used. I have heard speedpark clamp from ebay would fit despite similar to k edge clamp. does anybody have a good idea or solution on this ?
Thanks

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Yes, but does Campagnolo FD-SR003 require a braze-on FD? nfecyle has a clamp-on FD.

MagnusH

by MagnusH

djm wrote: Now they seem to have disappeared from Canyon's website.

Try changing the language to German on the website.
Then go to Shop->Zubehör/Bekleidung->Fahrradteile->Antrieb

Works for me :no1: .
If I set the language to English, Danish or Swedish, the chaincatcher is not there.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

It's called pure cycling now, so if you google "pure cycling chain catcher", it will give you canyon website result with this product. In the other hand if you google "canyon chain catcher", you get forums result of supersix owners with clamp on FD asking what chain catcher to use on their bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

nfecyle, thanks I am trying to get a friend to get me one!!!

C