Best place to take weight off my Cannondale F300, 2003

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

IronBiker

by IronBiker

Hello folks.

I have a Cannondale F300 2003 hardtail,
- CAAD2 frame
- Manitou Six Elite Fork (2002)
- SUN CR18 rims with shimano HB-RM15 hubs
- Hutchinson Scorpion tires
- LX front derraileur
- standard Deoro rear derraileur
- crappy alivio shifters/breaks and so on
- dunno crankset brand, prolly cannondale

Anyhow, I have quite a bit of $ to spend to make this baby ready for Iron Bike 2004, which is in September here in Brazil. (2 days, 80 km each very hilly trails). However, don't plan to spend more than US$ 1500 on replacement components for this bike, as this is my first season, and I really think a killer bike with an amateur driver just doesn't look too good.

The bike weighs in at 27 pounds (almost 13 kg) at the moment - however, this is not accurate, as I weighed it with a standard digital scale for lard asses. I would like to get it down to 22 pounds (10 kg), or less, if possible.

I'm 5,10 (182 cm), weigh 79-80kg (roughtly 176 pounds). However, I have a big butt :) - so I need comfort in this area. I want a light bike, but it also has to be comfortable, as Iron Bike + all other races I will be taking will be endurance races. It has to be light AND comfortable.

I heard the best places to loose weight from a bike are:
- wheelsets + tires
- frontal fork/suspension
- saddle
- crankshaft

things to take into account:
- very much like rapid-fire triggers.
- its got an 8 gear cassete right now, I wish to turn it into a 9 geared baby, either with XT or XTR rear derraileur

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Here are a few pics of the bike.
Image[/img]
"Do, or do not. There is no Try."
-- Master Yoda.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

Check out the MTBR FAQ it is really helpful.

It gives you a good base to start from and can help you learn what to research, which is part of the fun :wink:

MTBR FAQ
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

For $1500US I would look on Ebay and find a totally race set up rig second hand!

There have been some good deals on Titus racer x's etc. Read MTBR.com for rider reviews on bikes (classifieds as well).

The only upgrade you would need on some of these bikes would be a new stable platform shock.

Barring that

I would go with a new wheelset (Bontrager racelights cheaper or Dave thomas speedream wheels mid range)
02/03 XTR rear deraileur, XT front
03 XTR crank (new style)
03 xt shifters (rapid fire) old style
Avid 7 brakes or XTR's

xt cassette and sram pc99 chain
carbon bar and seatpost. (I like easton)

Try a selle trans am max saddle if you like wider saddles.

you can get all this at good prices new and used online

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

ouch! its heavy. :evil: how about changing your fork or seatpost? :twisted: what pedal are you using? :D

Tires?
tubes?
grips?

I recommend LX gold/black to subsitute your deore rear D. Heard that its lighter.
For endurance race, u should use bar ends which i recommend extralite handle bar 10g heavier than EC90 and compactible with barends. Too bad you cant use barends on EC90. For the crank, i suggest for XTR which rate 10/10. :twisted:
Crashman like crashing, feel the rythem and ride.

Cyco

by Cyco

Have a look at http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... highlight=

For $1500 US I should be able to ship it across the Pacific.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Tippster

by Tippster

Not sure how much cash you want to spend and all at once or buy a few bits every month.

Spending all your cash at once is easy. Get a whole new bike (new or second hand).

Spending a bit at a time, I would recommend quick fixes of:

Titec Foam grips £7
Maxxiss Flyweight tubes £6 each
Conti Twister Supersonic tyres £28 each
SLR saddle £60 (surprisingly comfortable)
USE Alien carbon post £80
XT hubs / DT rev spokes / X517 or X317 rims £105 merlin (UK)
DT hugi hubs / DT rev spokes / X517 or X317 rims £285 merlin (UK)
Wheelset will depend on budget

That should make a huge impact

secondly, I'd look at
'03 XT crankset £80 merlin
XT front dr
XTR rear dr
Sachs PC99 chain
Crank bro egg beater peddals £60
or Shimano P959s £60 (shimano pedals weigh more but are likely to be more durable)
Syntace F99 stem
Carbon bar
XT shifters

Pace carbon rigid fork £170 (will shake all your fillings out but this change alone will save you 2kilos)

Ion

by Ion

Hi!

with $ 1500, I think you can have a good second hand bike rather than upgading yours. You frame is not exactly light and well as your components. Getting it to 22 lbs would not be feasible.

On the other hand, I have one collecting dust. It's a 02 Giant XTC with XTR, XT, Thomson, Easton Carbon, Race Face, Cane Creek parts. I don't know how much it worth, but it weigh 9.6 kg or 21.2 lbs which is still heavier than my other 2 hardtails. Give a shout if you are interested.

Ion
ignace.worang@worldonline.cz

IronBiker

by IronBiker

Tipster,

I've got a friend in the UK that is coming to Brazil in April and might be able to bring me a brand new bike or perhaps a second hand bike. Anyhow, I really would appreciate it if you could post some links of the best/cheapest bike shops you know of in the UK...

I had a look at Merlin bike shop you mentioned and it seemed they had a limited choice + seemed a little pricey compared to US prices. Speaking of which, how does it work to import a bike into the UK from the US? Are there heavy duty fees, or it is a cinch?

Reason I ask is this friend might be able to buy the bike from the US and have it shipped to the UK.... anyhow, would really appreciate some links.

As for everyone else, thanks a lot for all the advice... would be nice to hear from you guys what you would consider a great long duration XC bike setup (long uphills, fast downhills) - 2 days, circa 70 km each.

Take care!
-- Master Yoda.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Ironbiker. If you are after an endurance marathon setup there are plenty to choose from. If you are looking at a new rig(or ebay/mtbr second hand) you would want to consider a few things

1/ 26 vs 29er I ride both. The 29er I feel is a better endurance bike. rolls faster, handles great and rocks on climbing and decending. Drawback is limited tire/shock selection. and not as quick in the tight narrow stuff ( but not bad really)

2/ full suspension vs hardtail. hardtail will be lighter but less forgiving when you are tired. Given the new rear shocks out there, you can get the best of both at a light weight.

3/ reliability of parts. You need to balance weight with usefulness and reliability

A sugar 292 is a great value full suspension 29er (see them on ebay a lot)

lighten it up with some carbon bits and good drivetrain. Convert the tires to tubeless and you have a great rig.

on the 26" size cheaper end Giant XTC, Gary Fisher Sugar, Cannondale scalpel. Higher end Titus racer X, Ellsworth Truth would be my pic's (the racer-x is great)

The USA dollar is so low at the moment, I am thinking this would be the best place to get stuff.

PM me if you want some LBS contacts. I have one in South Florida that exports to Brazil already.

Tippster

by Tippster

Some UK bike shop links

http://www.wiggle.co.uk
They do a wide selection and offer 10% off if you spend a lot

http://www.bonthronebikes.com/
Seperate components - Shimano discounts

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/default.asp
http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/

As regards Importing goods from the US to the UK. They are subject to import tax. Not sure what level this is set as. To get around this, have a bike shop or friend in the US mark the goods as a GIFT! These are then not subject to import taxes. Tourist exchange rates are now between $1.8 and $1.9 to the £1.

IronBiker

by IronBiker

Tipster,

I just found out that UK importat tax on bicycles from the US are at a 15% fee + VAT, i.e. 32.5% tax. So it isn't bad at all actually, especially considering how low the US dollar is at the moment.

As for getting a bike in the UK, I found some interesting items on e-bay, and wanted you guys to give me your advice.

A Cannondale Scalpel 1000 (2003 model) for £999
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3662502354&category=7297

A Specialized S-works FSR (2002 model) for £500
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3662668669&category=7297

A Cannondale F800 (2003 model) for £500
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3663268502&category=7297

The scalpel seems like a bargain, and a great bike.
All I care really is that the bike is going to be light, comfortable and resistant. If its lighter than my Cannondale F300, I'm happy...

Gui on mtbr recommended a full suspension or soft tail, as its much more versatile - and if its light, then who cares right? The only thing that worries me about getting a soft-tail or full-suspension bike is the back shox... if they have some sort of electronic or manual lockout system, as I would HATE to loose energy due to suspension bobbing... but I suppose on the Scalpel 1000 that would not be too much of a problem?

Any advice would be great!

p.s. Any idea how my friend would have to transport/box this bike to bring it with him on his luggage to Brazil?[/url]
-- Master Yoda.

Ion

by Ion

If the bike does not comes boxed, then ask some local dealer to do it. It should cost max of £20, then check it in as luggage. Normally inter Atlantic flight allows you to carry one bike for free. For inter Europe or US, a charge will be applied depending on airlines.

Tippster

by Tippster

My friend got the scarpel frame only second hand for £700 UK

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com