Calling System Six owners

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JesseD

by JesseD

I have at long last aquired a mint condition, raw aluminium System Six complete with beefy Control Tech stem, I am over the moon with how it looks and cannot wait to ride it!

I have started building it up but have hit a snag!

the brake bolt I have on my Campag calipers is only 20mm long and I think I need a 30-40mm one but am not sure.

Can some one with a System Six tell me what length brake bolt I need to buy tomorrow?

Thanks all.

JesseD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

been a while since I worked on my System Six, but I think you are looking for (or meant to say) a longer brake nut. You don't need to change the brake bolt. Go to a shop and just get a longer nut, it's probably about 2-3 cm long.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Ran into same problem when I owned a SystemSix, I used a 30mm(pretty sure) nut made by problem solvers. If you look around you should be able to find one cheap.

Kvaksalver

by Kvaksalver

Yup, the stock bolt is 35mm with a head that's a little wider than your standard brake bolt...
Last edited by Kvaksalver on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

JesseD

by JesseD

Got a 35 mm one today, bike is now built and looks friggin awesome, only did a quick up the road and back to check everything was tight and working and OMG, this thing is so responsive and stiff.

Build list is:

58cm System Six F&F in raw aluminium & carbon + 120mm ControlTech System Six Carbon Stem
Mix of 10 speed Campag Record/Chorus/Centaur
Deda Newton Shallow Bars
Ritchey Carbon Seatpost (soon to be changed
Selle Italia SLR (soon to be changed)
Fast Forward F5c with Conti Sprinter Tubs

Going out tomorrow morning for a 2-3 hour ride, fiurst proper one in 6 months but man I am so excited :D

Pics will follow soon.

8)

Dammit

by Dammit

As has been said you do need a specific bolt for the front brake- it surprised me when I swapped to some new SRAM brakes a month or so ago.

I have a 58cm also, what sort of weight have you got to with yours?

I don't suppose you weighed it when it was frame and fork?

Mines at ~7.2kg with a SRAM Force groupset.

Zachariah

by Zachariah

Here is mine @15.8 pounds/7.16kg. Incredible power transfer, equaling that of $10,000 dream bikes:

Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

BikeNerd2453

by BikeNerd2453

Awesome, that's the color I really wanted in the System, raw alloy/carbon.
Mine is black/black, 58cm as well.
15.25lbs as shown here:

15.74lbs with the Reynolds Assault wheels, sans light & Garmin (though with mounts), and bottles:

Best bike I've ever had.

sharkman

by sharkman

Code: Select all

Here is mine @15.8 pounds/7.16kg. Incredible power transfer, equaling that of $10,000 dream bikes:

I've had several system six bikes and they ride a bit better than the current super six. I do however doubt if the bike will get to 7.16 kg with those wheels since the bike itself isn't too light (but it will ride nicely and that colour is rare).

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Zachariah wrote:Here is mine @15.8 pounds/7.16kg. Incredible power transfer, equaling that of $10,000 dream bikes:

Only discovered this through another thread where you posted a pic -- wow, absolutely stunning, classy look that doesn't age. The silver rims go with the blue/black frame oh so nicely.

What's that seatpost btw?

Zachariah

by Zachariah

Here is the new wheels, and Hollowgram Si crankset. Seatpost is Control Tech Team Issue white alloy:

Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

Miller76

by Miller76

I think it should be a law that all Cannondales HAVE to have a Hollowgram SISL chainset....

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?r12gbv

Dammit

by Dammit

Dammit wrote:As has been said you do need a specific bolt for the front brake- it surprised me when I swapped to some new SRAM brakes a month or so ago.

I have a 58cm also, what sort of weight have you got to with yours?

I don't suppose you weighed it when it was frame and fork?

Mines at ~7.2kg with a SRAM Force groupset.

Heh, funny that this thread came back up- just over a year on, I've still got the System Six but now it has DA Di2 and weighs in at 6.76kg with PC V mounted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FreaK

by FreaK

Sound like they're pretty reliable. I got mine second hand.

In fact it's under another rider now, who puts on more miles than i would and is a bit of a deisel.

The red and black was a good colour.

Edit: I too remember having the same brake nut issue. For some loony reason i couldn't use the original either, the thread was funky. go figure!
Attachments
IMG_4814.JPG
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm