Considering the new Enve Smart Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xrs2

by xrs2

I've been thinking about getting a pair of the new Enve Smart Clinchers. My only hesitation is that I ride a lot of gravel and rough roads. Are they durable enough? Any experience with the tubular version on rough roads?

ergott

by ergott

Tire choice will help the durability of any wheelset, but the Smart rims are really strong. Enve's history with impact resistance is one of the best.

They also have this.
http://www.enve.com/warranty.aspx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xrs2

by xrs2

Thanks! I'll be using 25 mm tires.

...and I just ordered a pair from Rob English.

ergott

by ergott

I've hit nasty stuff with my 6.7s.

Report in when you get some miles on them. They are great wheels.

Ritterview

by Ritterview

xrs2 wrote:... I ride a lot of gravel and rough roads. Are they durable enough? Any experience with the tubular version on rough roads?

The pro peloton has experience with carbon wheels on Paris-Roubaix, discussed here.

VeloNews wrote:The tires, wheels and pressures of Paris-Roubaix

COMPIEGNE, France (VN) — Every year, pro teams lining up for the most brutal road race of the calendar, Paris-Roubaix...

Wheels
The era of the carbon wheel at Paris-Roubaix has arrived. Fewer and fewer riders are relying on tradition when deciding on a set of wheels for the “Hell of the North.” Instead, teams visit the pavé secteurs to perform tests using accelerometer telemetry and power meters. And while the carbon wheels used for Roubaix are vertically stiffer than box-section aluminum rims, the use of larger tires and bicycle frames and forks tuned for the cobbles allows riders to cover the cobbled sections with less effort.

Most modern riders have raced on carbon wheels more than they have aluminum-rim wheels with three-crossed spokes. They are used to the way a carbon wheel reacts to a bump or irregularity in the road. Wrapping them in large tires makes for a predictable setup. To put it another way, racers are used to using their tires. That may sound strange, but they expect a wheel to be stiff and a tire to work hard to maintain traction...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com