Vittoria Pave professional version and normal version?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

A few weeks ago it struck me that during the sping classics the professional teams that use the Pave from Vittoria use a different tire then we can buy.

the professional tire:
Photo from cyclingnews.

and the version every man can get:

on the every mans version you see that the green stripe is in the center. In the professional version you see black rubber in the center and the green rubber on the sides. the green rubber is supposed to give more grip. Is there a good reason why these two tires are so different?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

The one with the green either side is the old 290TPI version. The one with the green centre stripe is the new 320TPI version.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Now that is an easy answer to this thing. it really bothered me tbh.

Thanks!

p.s. mine cut up pretty bad in the green centre line. is that normal?
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Totally normal - they're not a particularly robust tyre because the tread is so soft (which is part of what makes them so good in the first place).

brycerider

by brycerider

These as with the Corsa evo cx are good for about 2,000k before the flats start in earnest. That said a great riding tire. :-D

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops

JK

by JK

What amazes me is that pro's still ride these tiny tires in the cobble classics.

27mm and up is the way to go. Sure Tom Boonen's new doctor (check his resume!) knows all of the trics in the book, but the bigger tires he rides as of this year make a heck of a difference. Fabian knew that a lot longer.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

True that JK.

I just found another photo of a different Pave.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

JK wrote:What amazes me is that pro's still ride these tiny tires in the cobble classics.

27mm and up is the way to go...

The Pavé is favoured mostly for its 27mm option.

That other Pavé must be a new version Vittoria are working on.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Rich-Ti wrote:The one with the green either side is the old 290TPI version. The one with the green centre stripe is the new 320TPI version.

Ideally you'd want the 320 tpi version with a black ( i.e. unpigmented) central tread and a compound at least as good as the old 290 tpi version.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Digging out this old thread because of the other discussion of the Pavè that's going on at the moment. On vittoria.com the tyre has the black center now. New version?
Last edited by HillRPete on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Frankie - B wrote:p.s. mine cut up pretty bad in the green centre line. is that normal?

I've found that mine have cut up badly straight out of the box. When they've been on the bike a while they're much better.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by 11.4

MattSoutherden wrote:
Frankie - B wrote:p.s. mine cut up pretty bad in the green centre line. is that normal?

I've found that mine have cut up badly straight out of the box. When they've been on the bike a while they're much better.

Yeah. For some reason that a bunch of engineers on here will surely contest, these tires do seem to benefit in all respects from some aging. Six months or so is plenty, out of the box, hung in a closet.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It is rather surprising to learn that a vulcanized tyre such as Vittotira's (with the SC being an exception) responds so well to aging.
The only reason for this I can think of is that the vulcanisation process is stopped before it is completed at the factory. It then continues during storage by binding sulphur molecules available in the surrounding air.

What strikes me though is that ever since the advent of the new 320 tpi tyres Vittoria somehow lost it's book of compound recipes. Those compounds seem to be allover the place and none actually as good as the one they used for the older 290 tpi tyres. Not that it was that great to begin with but still.... :noidea:

BTW, don't judge a tyre by its colour. Pigmentation never did any good to rubber, never will....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

TuplaO

by TuplaO

^Schwalbe, for example, makes no bones about their pigmented tires being less durable. Don't know about others, though. If the pigmentation is just for looks, it's slightly surprising to encounter it on tires that are supposed to be durable or robust, or whatever. Consequently, it makes sense that the green stripe on the Paves has been moved to the sidewall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com