Wheel that are had to fit a tire on

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

darkblue08

by darkblue08

I have a New Ultimate clincher wheelset that is very difficult to fit a tire on. Tried Vittoria Diamond Pro 23mm - It was impossible to mount on the wheels (Easy to mount on Dura-Aces wheels). Now Im using Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 23mm. I can get them on, but they are very difficult to remove. I believe the only reason I could get them on was they I had used them on the Dura-Aces wheels.
Does anybody has a good tip on tires that are easier then average to mount/remove. Do I need to go with a different tire width?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Plenty of good info in this thread -

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100835

Thinner rim tape, stretching on other wheels and "technique" are good places to start.

stlutz

by stlutz

I don't know that there are really tires that are easier/harder to remove. It seems to be tire/rim combos that are the problem. For example, Michelin tires and Campy rims have always been a problem. But people report no problems with other rims and Michelin--that may even solve your problem! Mavic rims are easy with just about anything.

HarryS

by HarryS

Yes I agree, I found the rims make the biggest difference. In the thread above my problem was that the wheels I was using are pretty narrow, 13mm inner bead width. From now on I'll be sticking to more common rims that are about 16mm wide inside. Makes a world of difference.

Good luck, darkblue08...I know your pain! :?

darkblue08

by darkblue08

Thanks. The thread wa very helpfull. Tried to remove the rim tape, and test. It made a world of difference. Now I have ordered veloplugs and will test them. If they work as expected, it will be like getting a new set of high profile carbon wheels.