Piriformis pain and possible hip drop

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

xcnick

by xcnick

Hi all
I'm hoping this might be a relatively simple issue for the more experienced members! Firstly I should say I haven't had a dynamic fit due to not knowing anyone reputable in my area, but I will look into that if I can't sort it myself.

I've been riding for about 8 years and never had any injuries, until about 2 months ago. For no apparent reason I've developed a pain in my right piriformis/glute sometimes spreading into my right ITB, only present when pedalling quite hard and never hurts off the bike and my right leg 'feels' shorter' No pain on the left at all.
I have noticed my right thigh rubs the nose of the saddle more than the left, and my saddle is square because the frame has an ISP. (can't be twisted)
I asked my training partner to watch me pedal from behind and he says I'm pretty square on my saddle, but if anything slightly tilted to the left.

So, after reading Steve Hoggs stuff, I suspect my left leg is shorter and my body is tilting to protect the shorter leg, causing more rub on the right inner thigh and straining the right lower back/piriformis? Perhaps I should try shimming the left cleat but concerned about doing damage when I don't know for certain?
Any advice would be much appreciated :thumbup:

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Ive had similar symptoms in the past and the culprit was always very tight iliopsoas muscles (hip flexors)

Try and stretch out your hip flexors well after each ride as riding causes tightening of the hip flexors, especially if you have an aggressive postion on the bike.
I had to stretch 3 or 4 times per day for many weeks before the symptoms went away for good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xcnick

by xcnick

Thanks for the tip, interestingly I have increased my flexibility quite a bit since last year which so far seems to have had a negative effect! I have recently been stretching out my hip flexors/abductors too but only recently. position is not as aggressive as it has previously been. I will focus more on that stretch and see how it goes.

Thanks also to the advice via PM :thumbup:

SirEddy

by SirEddy

Check your S/I Joint. I've had close to 20 years of "on and off" chronic lower back and glute pain. Diagnosed as everything from ruptured disc, to Piriformis syndrome, leg length discrepancy you name it, Ive had it at one stage according to the "experts".

I've spend ten's of thousands of dollars on this, and only in the last 18 months did I find an amazing PT who suggested that the issue lay with my S/I joint being out of alignment which then causes problems all the way up the spine and down the legs.

Twice a week PT and massage therapy over the past year certainly helped, but what really fixed it for me was 5 rounds of PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) in my hips and spine to really stimulate connective tissue repair, followed by a disciplined and daily routine of stretching (hip flexors, IT Bands, quads, hamstrings and lower back, and rubber band exercises to strengthen my lower back.

So far so good. Heck I've even started running again.

Good luck!!
Long live long rides

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Ive had SIJ problems as well (on the other side) and it feels very, very different to ITB/Piriformis/glute pain.

xcnick

by xcnick

Thanks for the replies guys all very useful info. At the moment it seems to have settled down a bit so fingers crossed its nothing that serious! A bit of sports massage has helped, abductors and left IT band was tight, but why I do not yet know. Having just bought a new frame that fits me a bit better (less stretched) I will get a dynamic fit done.

Cheers!

SirEddy

by SirEddy

Andrew69 wrote:Ive had SIJ problems as well (on the other side) and it feels very, very different to ITB/Piriformis/glute pain.

Not for me. The same (or very similar) symptoms, which is why I was falsely diagnosed. Just shows the dangers of pontificating and making blanket statements via the internet.

To the OP. Glad you're feeling better. Good luck the with recovery.
Long live long rides

Andrew69

by Andrew69

What did your SIJ pain feel like?
Initally it does feel like illiopsoas, glute, hamstring or piriformis type pain (lower back/hip pain), but chronic SIJ disfunction is a very different animal and manifests itself as pain radiating from the lower back around into the groin like youve been kicked by a donkey.

I (obviously) have no idea what level of SIJ disfunction you suffered, but mine was debilitating and it felt nothing like the other pain I have felt in my hip/groin/glute area.
Maybe you are just a touch soft?? Damn, that was a blanket statement via the internet wasnt it? :noidea:

Here ends the pontification :smartass:

To the OP, keep up with the stretches and Gl with the recovery.

robmitchell

by robmitchell

Hi,

I had a similar issue off and on for about a year.
The pain would move around a little.
Finally my wife made me go to a Doctor. X-Ray's were good on the hip.

My SI joint had gotten a little crooked, I went to a physical therapist.
I was impressed with the lad and think PT has improved quite a bit.
He had graduated from a reputable college.

He pulled my leg back out, it popped a little which was a concern, and gave me a lot of strengthening excercises and stretches.
It took 2-3 months before they really started working and the pain was gone.
No running or jumping, just excercises and cycling.

I still do a lot of them 2-3 times a week.

Giant rubber band sets, some Bosu squats, and side core work.
I am convinced the excercises are mandatory, as I am aging.
Cycling is a continuous repetitive motion which leaves some muscles neglected.
I think this causes some problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com