10 pound WILIER zero.7 build campy sr or 2013 sram red?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jwilliams

by jwilliams

Hey all I am building up a new bike, a wilier zero.7. I am at a cross road on the groupo. Campy SR 11 or the new sram red. I am using THM calvica cranks and fibula for the brakes, knc chain and recon cassette extralite rings and bolts. My goal is to build a sub 10lbs bike.
Is it worth it to go campy or sram. I never have used campy, I love sram red and my Di2. But I love the looks of campy and keep the bike Italian.

The weight is as follows.

Sram
Rd 144g
Fd 58
Shifters 295
Cassette recon al 140
Chain kmc dlc 250
Total 887g
Campy sr
Rd 157 (eps 198)
Fd 71 ( eps 129)
Shifter 335 ( eps 262 + 24)
Cassette recon al 133
Chain kmc 11 229
Total 925 eps 975
Wilier Zero.7 SR11 being built
2011 C59 Di2 AX SRT 24's, THM Calvica, Fibula
2010 RXR VIP @ Red RXR Sold
MY RXR VIP-> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dimitri

by Dimitri

i've fitted up 3 of the new Red groupsets now and i can tell you its amazing. everything has been noticeably improved.

as youre not using the full group' (i.e cranks, and to a lesser extent rear cluster) i cant comment on the shift quality, but the full set up works flawlessly IMO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Nice. I rode a lot of SR and recently switched over to red (for weight savings). The SR is better in my opinion. I wish the Red had a trim function like the Campy does.

What's the frame weighing in at?

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

mrowkoob wrote:11 pound Zero7 with red.

http://twohubs.blogspot.se/2012/03/11lb ... -sram.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boy does that bike look the part :shock:

andyindo

by andyindo

The Wilier must be built with Campy. Campy screams class. Sram screams arse.

jwilliams

by jwilliams

The frame, fork, headset came in a 964g in a large.
MY RXR VIP-> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

da123

by da123

Does that 964g definitely include the fork? If so then wow. Is it a stock Wilier fork - their website claims 360g for the stock fork, which would seem waaaay too heavy if you're getting the whole lot under a kilo.

sgray

by sgray

New SRAM Red FD is more like 72g

ticou

by ticou

It's Campy all the way. They are works of art with durability beyond all others, and 99% of top end bikes on this 'site have SR for this very reason, and their bearings are top as well. Check out 'Competiive Cyclist reviews Campy 11 speed' on youtube, it is a very illuminating two part review.

jwilliams

by jwilliams

I was at the shop and saw him weight the bike and fork and the scale was set right so yes that was the total weight.

da123 wrote:Does that 964g definitely include the fork? If so then wow. Is it a stock Wilier fork - their website claims 360g for the stock fork, which would seem waaaay too heavy if you're getting the whole lot under a kilo.

tommasini

by tommasini

yes final weight is important - but not the overall picuture - shouldn't it be the "best"?

So also do consider what produces the final "better" bike.....such as (besides weight alone) superior bearings, shifting, durability.....and for many of us...."exclusivity" that it appears you are hoping to achive with it being lighter than most.

If I was building a super nice light and expensive bike - I'd do more than simply equip it similar to what all those local "fat guy" felts and cervelo's are equiped with. (sorry not intending to insult the true riders on this forum as those brands named are very good rides - just saying this for the guys who have unrealistic expectations or who are ignorant and really don't know much about what their local shop is is trying to get them to buy.....)

And sometimes.....following your "gut feel" about what is "right" for you trumps everything else.....

Sounds like Campagnolo. :thumbup:

jwilliams

by jwilliams

I called the shop, i'm going campy. Down side is all my other bikes are Di2 or sram. Now I just need to swap out my hub bodys , cassettes and chain and were good to go. Extralite hub bodys are said to be 6-8 week back order !! for my lightweight climbing wheels. Good thing i'm not in a huge rush :0

I hope im happy, but sheer looks alone on the SR11 sold them self...

da123

by da123

jwilliams wrote:I was at the shop and saw him weight the bike and fork and the scale was set right so yes that was the total weight.

da123 wrote:Does that 964g definitely include the fork? If so then wow. Is it a stock Wilier fork - their website claims 360g for the stock fork, which would seem waaaay too heavy if you're getting the whole lot under a kilo.

As I said - Wow! Especially given it's a large frame. That must put the bare frame without the headset close to 600 grams! - surely some sort of record on this site? Don't think I've seen anything lighter anyway (am sure I'll be corrected if wrong!) - fantastic result.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com