boardman or scott foil or BMC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

project3

by project3

Im getting a new bike but would like to listen to pros here for some advise on which of these i should get?

Boardman Air 9.2
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/air92.html

Scott Foil 20
http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/221870/foil-20/

BMC SL01
http://www.bmc-racing.com/int-en/bikes/2012/road/model/roadracer/sl01/sl01_ultegra.html

Basically the parts are almost the same but its the matter of the frame and build. Please advise.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I would recommend the Foil. It's a very good frame (although a little too stiff for my butt) at a fairly good price. There are some problems with the seat post slipping so keep that in mind.

BMC make some very nice bikes, but I've seen quite a number of problems with their models. From weak FDR hangers, to poor seat post clamps. I don't have any experience with Boardman bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

notsoswift

by notsoswift

My only comment is I would never buy a Slo - 1, I would want the Fast - 1 :lol:

Seriously though, I know quite a few guys who rave on their BMC's, some big units as well, very few issues reported, good builds. THe Scotts seem to be good for lighter frames (understandable they are true weightweenies) but that is more the R1, as I am not sure if that translates to the Foil

rd

by rd

Ghost234 wrote:BMC make some very nice bikes, but I've seen quite a number of problems with their models. From weak FDR hangers, to poor seat post clamps.

You're quite correct re: there being some issues, but it is worth noting that the FD failures were restricted to model year 2010 SLR01 and the seat clamp area issues became moot when BMC moved on from the crosslock in 2010 too. All 2012 bikes use a normal external clamp - though they are non-round.

If the budget will stretch, the RM01 is a far superior platform to the SL01 although I have no direct experience of the other options you're looking at.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

The only Foil you will get will be used or what is leftover stock on a dealer's floor. Last word is that Scott isn't taking orders anymore since they fubared the entire seat post clamping area that leads to cracks and problems.

Apparently they are back to the drawing board, and their marketing/pr people apparently don't want to answer questions about it ever.

project3

by project3

bump for my post. foil is not on my list anymore. My LBS dont carry it anymore and no new stock is coming in. Old stock is limited in sizes.

now stuck in between BMC RM01 or Boardman

todayilearned

by todayilearned

BMC SL01 strictly for aesthetic reasons.
- 2012 Specialized Tarmac w/ Force
- 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5 w/ Ultegra

NGMN

by NGMN

Since Scott's out, I'd go Boardman.

ichobi

by ichobi

Sorry to butt in. Where i'm from (Thailand), I can get BMC SL01 frame for the price of S-Works Venge. (roughly £1,700). If it were you what would you choose? I like Venge for aesthetic and frame styling only, never been on one before.

As for the BMC I tested ride one before and it's as good as you would expect for a £1,700 frame. Stiff, very well finished, and good pain job for the '11 model. Totally worth it and it has the same geometry of the top-end SLR01 to boot. Given the choice of boardman and BMC I wouldn't hesitate one second to go for the latter.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

I have been pleasantly surprised by how nice a bike my Boardman AiR 9.8 is. My wife has a SLR 9.4, which she really loves. We both have Storck Fenomalists as well, but it seems that my wifes are up for sale... I do love mine and as it is much different than the AiR, I'll keep both.

Roobay

by Roobay

had two of theses :thumbup:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

Roobay

by Roobay

i like people... i just can't stand assholes

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I'm surprised no one has asked yet what kind of riding you do or plan to do.
The frames are very different! For example, the Scott Foil is great for races/short rides and not necessarily for endurance riding (150km+)

That may be a factor as well.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com